Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #51
Retired Electronic Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
According to these home pages they both have the same rating.

Champion Home Page - db at 23 feet (7 meters) - 53db
2000W Inverter Generator - Champion Power Equipment

Honda Home Page - db at 7 meters (23 feet) - 53db
Honda Canada

We need to compare apples to apples. That Honda apparently is the Canadian version (eu2000iTC), not the eu2000i. In addition, it doesn't say "7 meters" ... it says "1.5 Meters (< 5 ft) TO 7 Meters", with two asterisks for which I don't see any clear explanation. The US version clearly states 9 feet.

The Champion's noise rating your link shows is 'no load'. Here's the Champion's White-Page data sheet:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AUHTNvJMOaxgQQ

1995 Cobra Monterey MH; 2000 Monaco-HR MH;
2006 Montana Mountaineer FW;
2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT w/2010 Chevy 1500
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtranicedeb View Post
I always come here to get the BEST advice from the experts - you! We purchased a Forest River travel trailer new this summer but do not yet have a generator for tailgating, etc. What size do we need to run everything, including the AC? I do know we need an inverter generator for the noise. Any help you can give? Anywhere we could get a used one to mitigate the high cost?
Been running Boliy generator for 4 years now and all I do is change oil every 50 hours and add gas to it. It has been 100% reliable and is a great efficient and quiet generator. Best $1000 I spent and I laugh everytime I see a Honda 3000 generator that costs 2.5 times more.

Got mine from www.bottomlinetrading.com

Old 11-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtechnician View Post
We need to compare apples to apples. That Honda apparently is the Canadian version (eu2000iTC), not the eu2000i. In addition, it doesn't say "7 meters" ... it says "1.5 Meters (< 5 ft) TO 7 Meters", with two asterisks for which I don't see any clear explanation. The US version clearly states 9 feet.

The Champion's noise rating your link shows is 'no load'. Here's the Champion's White-Page data sheet:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AUHTNvJMOaxgQQ
Apples to Apples.....

What ever !

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #54

I recently bought my Champion 3100 inverter genny for $525 shipped to the door. It powers my 2015 Avenger with 13.5k a/c, refridgerator, and any accessories without an issue. Now, IF I am running all the above and turn on the microwave it WILL RUN IT but the overload light comes on. I let it run 30 seconds and it never kicked the genny off but i don't recommend this. It takes no time to clicks the ac off, use the microwave, and click the ac back on. Mine weighs about 90lbs with fuel and is super quiet, even has an econo mode button for quieter operation. I can click my econo mode on while the ac and fridge are running without any overload lights coming on. I can carry on a normal level conversation within 2 feet of my genny as well. Only uses about 1.5 gallons in 6-8 hours of your not running much stuff on it. I didn't wanna spend $2500 on a 3k watt Honda so this seems my best choice. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Actually the Honda 2000 and the Champion 2000 have the same db rating at 23 feet (7 meters).
That is not true. I own a 4000 watt Champion for use at the house and it is at least 4 times louder than my 3000 watt Honda. The other thing is the cheaper gens do not hold up. Got one season out of the champion and it now sites at my son-in-laws waiting to get repaired. It is two years old and he is complaining he is having trouble getting parts? I don't understand that.

There are threads on here telling of stories where they had trouble with cheaper gens and replaced them. After buying a couple of the cheap ones they broke down and bought a Honda or Yamaha and haven't had any problems sense. I was always told that with electrical equipment you get what you pay for and I do believe that.

Not real worried about the Champion because when I lose power at the house I move into the 5er now. The only reason I bug him about it is it will run the house furnace and I won't have to worry about freezing pipes. Will still move to the 5er.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #56

Ultimately it depends on your budget. If you can afford a Honda then buy a Honda, if you can't afford one then my vote is a champion. You said you won't use a lot so just be sure to keep the maintenance up (oil change, stabil in the fuel, etc) and I think you will be fine. Just my .02 cents
Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_160 View Post
Ultimately it depends on your budget. If you can afford a Honda then buy a Honda, if you can't afford one then my vote is a champion. You said you won't use a lot so just be sure to keep the maintenance up (oil change, stabil in the fuel, etc) and I think you will be fine. Just my .02 cents
I agree with everyone about the maintained but want to add one thing. I see it mentioned the oil gets changed after so many hours. Sometimes I won't put many hours on mine in one season. I would suggest doing the oil every year even if you do not run it at all. There may be a year when I only run it for 2 hours, 1/2 hour every 3 months, to test and keep the battery up. Still going to change oil every year so I don't have to worry about condensation.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking
"Actually the Honda 2000 and the Champion 2000 have the same db rating at 23 feet (7 meters)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2
"That is not true. I own a 4000 watt Champion for use at the house and it is at least 4 times louder than my 3000 watt Honda."
---------
I believe you that it is 4 times louder, seeing as the Champion 4000 is an open frame contractor generator and the Honda 3000 is an inverter generator. Plus neither one of them is a 2000 watt that I was talking about.
Anyway my neighbor and I compared his "Canadian" Honda 2000 to my Champion 2000. We both agreed that you would need a db meter to tell if one was louder than the other.
I'm happy with mine and he is happy with his, that's all that matters.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #59
Retired Electronic Tech

Quote:
Quote:

[/I]I believe you that it is 4 times louder, seeing as the Champion 4000 is an open frame contractor generator and the Honda 3000 is an inverter generator. Plus neither one of them is a 2000 watt that I was talking about.
Anyway my neighbor and I compared his "Canadian" Honda 2000 to my Champion 2000. We both agreed that you would need a db meter to tell if one was louder than the other.
I'm happy with mine and he is happy with his, that's all that matters.
You're absolutely correct, what is right for someone else isn't necessarily right for you. I didn't dispute which is the best, I disputed that both units have the same advertised noise level specs ... they don't. I'm sorry if I upset you; but being a retired 'Industrial Electronic Test Technician', I work off of data and formulas that have to add up.

The Champion just might be the 'best bang for the buck' ... enjoy.
1995 Cobra Monterey MH; 2000 Monaco-HR MH;
2006 Montana Mountaineer FW;
2016 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT w/2010 Chevy 1500
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 PM   #60

I wasn't upset, I was just stating what the two home pages said about the db ratings. Honda - 59db at 1.5 meters / 53db at 7 meters and Champion 53db at 23 feet (22.9 meters).
Funny how different web pages have different ratings. Honda for example, one web page will say 53db at 9 feet and another web page will say 53db at 23 feet.
I think they all need to get their sh_t together.

Not to worry, it's all good.

2007 Surveyor SV230

Tags
generator, newbie