Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #21

Most of our camping is in NYS parks and generally without electric. Adirondack and Catskill areas are DEC controlled with no gens allowed after 7 pm. State parks are no gens after 9 pm. That said, a Honda 2000 does everything I need since I can't use A/C when I'd most appreciate it (over night). Another reason I have a hybrid (keep it wide open at night).
Went with the Honda due to rep. and its what my camping buddies have. If I went with another brand and had any problems I'd never hear the end of it.
I also have a 750W inverter hooked to its own 24 series battery. Will run 2 CPAP machines all night.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #22

Works fine for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
There is a 3k watt Champion brand inverter that will do the job nicely at a reasonable price 3100 Watt Inverter Generator - Champion Generators 75531I - Portable Generators - Camping World. Best to shop around for the best price.
I have this generator for my Brookstone 365RL, runs the 15k AC fine along with inverter/charger and refrigerator. IT will not run the microwave with the AC unit running. If you are good at power management this generator will serve your purpose. It's running currently at my home with a light load just for fall warmup and exercise. Found it at Overstock.com for $750, free shipping and no sales tax. At 85 pounds I can lift it into the truck bed if needed.

Good luck, lots of options out there.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Start with a Honda 3000 if you just have 1 A/C ! And you will (NOT) be able to Run Everything at the Same Time! Youroo!!
I have a Honda 3000is and love it. Big enough to run my AC and lighting, charge batteries ect. Just need to remember to shut my AC off before making coffee in my Keurig or use the microwave. No big deal to do that for 10 to 15 minutes.

As for the weight issue when full of gas and oil it goes about 240 pounds. Here is a link to it but I would shop around. Its not cheap but worth it in my opinion.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ompliant/34963

Lost power a few months ago and spent the night in my 5er with all the comforts of home. Neighbors house is about 25 feet away and could not hear it inside their house.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #24
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I have the Champion 3100 and it runs my 15K BTU A/C just fine. It will not run the A/C and my wifes hair dryer at the same time so we turn off the A/C while she dries her hair. The Champion is available as a remote electric start model for about $100 more than the non-electric start. Electric remote start is nice, but remember you'll have a small battery to keep charged in the off season. The non-electric start has a pull-cord and its really pretty easy to use.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I have the Champion 3100 and it runs my 15K BTU A/C just fine. It will not run the A/C and my wifes hair dryer at the same time so we turn off the A/C while she dries her hair. The Champion is available as a remote electric start model for about $100 more than the non-electric start. Electric remote start is nice, but remember you'll have a small battery to keep charged in the off season. The non-electric start has a pull-cord and its really pretty easy to use.
yonda 3000is is also electric start but no remote. It also has a rope start and is easy to use. I run mine about every three months for 15 minutes using the electric start, to charge the battery, and the battery hasn't slowed down yet.

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #26

IMHO, here are three things to consider:
1. In our minds, we often have this "ideal" situation that we're trying create, e.g. the guys are over for a tailgate party, I've got refreshments to be cooled in the frig, we're thawing meat in the microwave and the DW wants it cool in the camper, etc. etc. So, decide what you really want to do...light up the Super Bowl or run a single AC unit. If you're a "newbie" like you said, be sure you have two or three trips under your belt before buying a lot of stuff. When we admit it, we all tend to overbuy.
2. One thing seldom considered is how much gas this puppy is going to burn. I got a "biggy" the first time around and was burning untold gallons of gas...sold it the first chance I had. In it's place, I bought two of the 2000W Hondas for flexibility, noise level and weight.
3. Buy for the "normal" situation and not the exception. You don't need to cover every possible event. As a general rule of thumb, watts divided by volts equates to amps. So, a 2000 watt generator will produce (at peak) about 16 amps. If you plan to plug your camper directly into a generator, keep in mind there are residual/hidden power demands, e.g. lights, inverters, and those pesky "surge" demands when the A/C kicks on.
I congratulate you for brining this to the Forum. It's the best advice on the planet.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
There is a 3k watt Champion brand inverter that will do the job nicely at a reasonable price 3100 Watt Inverter Generator - Champion Generators 75531I - Portable Generators - Camping World. Best to shop around for the best price.

We use our Dometic 3000 quite a bit more than 10+ days a year, but have found that since we camp mostly in the mountains in the summer we don't use the a/C much or at all. Nice to have the option though.

That champion is on sale at Costo for $699

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
3. Buy for the "normal" situation and not the exception. You don't need to cover every possible event. As a general rule of thumb, watts divided by volts equates to amps. So, a 2000 watt generator will produce (at peak) about 16 amps. If you plan to plug your camper directly into a generator, keep in mind there are residual/hidden power demands, e.g. lights, inverters, and those pesky "surge" demands when the A/C kicks on.
I congratulate you for brining this to the Forum. It's the best advice on the planet.
This was something I was concerned about when running in the ECO mode. The surge is so quick the only thing it bothers is my one 23 inch flat screen tv. It shuts off, but to be fair if I sneeze to hard it will shut off, It is extremely sensitive!

I can run my 3000is with the air on in the eco mode for about 12 hours before I need to add any gas.

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #29
TGR

There are several things you’ll need to consider when buying a generator:

• How loud is it? An inverter generator is necessary when other people are nearby.
• How much does it weigh? Many 3000 W generators are over 135 pounds, while 2000 W Hondas and Yamahas are around 50 pounds. I lug two Yamaha EF2000iS, which is much easier than a 3K model.
• At what altitude will you run your generator? Engines lose power at higher altitudes so what will work at 1000 feet may not at 6000 feet.
• How big is you’re A/C unit? A 15,000 btu A/C may require a surge of 3500 watts to start. Yamaha has a EF3000iSEB W generator with a “boost” feature that adds the extra 500 W punch for an A/C start. A 3100 or 3000 W generator will work for a 13,500 btu A/C but could struggle or fail at altitude with a 15,000 but unit.
• What run time are you needing? A 2000 W generator can run all night on a light load but only about 4 hours or so at high loads. Two 2000 W generators running in parallel may not run all night unless you install an “extended run kit.” You can get these kits for most models of generator but Honda generators have a fuel pump to draw the extra gas reliably. People report good luck with other brands too but without the fuel pump, they may be a little fussier.

I haven’t boondocked where I’ve needed the A/C on all night so the smaller fuel tank on my 2K Yamahas has been fine. I think I’d buy just one if I were to do it again. If I need the A/C all night then I’ll get extended run kits for my generators and be glad I have two.

Several members report good performance from brands other than Honda and Yamaha at a much lesser cost. All I can say is my first-hand experience with Yamaha as been very good.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #30

My two cents...

We have a Boliy Pro3600SiE digital inverter, with 3600 kW continuous output. Operates almost as quietly as the Hondas. (Had opportunity to check the sound output of the Boliy nearby another RVer who was running his Honda 3000.)

The Boliy 3600 easily powers our Rockwood 8289WS 5-er's main 15,000 BTU a/c, all lights, TV and coffee maker. It can't run both of our 2 a/c's simultaneously, but that is no problem since the 15,000 BTU main a/c easily cools the entire RV even during Texas and Florida summers. As full timers, we needed to operate it several times in each of the last 3 years that we have owned it. Rugged and reliable, easy to use, key starter. Can add an external outboard motor gas tank for it to power our trailer all night.

Boliy Generator
RFKosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #31

We have a Champion 3500/4000 (under $400). Ever Ingenious Spouse modified the exhaust and fiddled with it and I must admit, it works very well. Inside the TT we don't notice it.
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
We dry camp all over the west, so need to be able to run the A/C when we're in the desert, but don't need it when in the mountains. We have two Honda 2K generators and run them in parallel when using the A/C, but don't take both to the mountains where it's usually cool. Have had these for 4 years and have had no problems. They start easily and are very quiet.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #33

Well there have been a lot of posts, but here is my opinion. I have a FR Flagstaff 831 FKBSS and a Honda 3000is. It runs my air, tv, satellite, frig and converter without any problem. That all pulls about 19 to 20 amps, and the generator is rated an 23 continuous. Its a little expensive but very quiet. I am very pleased with the performance.
Lkfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #34

I have used a Yamaha 3000ISEB for the last 3 seasons. No hiccups. The "boost" makes everything easy. Battery tender on every winter. Works fine through my PI EMS.

I would not recommend a Yamaha 2000iS if you also have a Progressive Industries EMS. Any damage to the EMS voids the warranty if used with that Yamaha.

Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
We dry camp all over the west, so need to be able to run the A/C when we're in the desert, but don't need it when in the mountains. We have two Honda 2K generators and run them in parallel when using the A/C, but don't take both to the mountains where it's usually cool. Have had these for 4 years and have had no problems. They start easily and are very quiet.
I thought about doing that but decided that the 3000 worked better for me. Cost wise about the same unless you add the external gas tank. Weight is about the same also if I remember right. I mainly decided to go with the 3000 because of the size. It didn't need as big of a platform as the two 2000 generators would have needed.

That is something people need to consider, where and how are they going to mount it? I had a plate welded onto my back bumper. FR doesn't recommend doing that because they said there might be too much vibration. They should quit mounting the spare tire on the bumper. The way it was mounted it shook more than my generator ever will! I removed it and will just tose the tire in my truck when going somewhere.

If anyone wants to see my mount you can see it here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eel-82307.html

Post 12 shows what I did. Post 10 has a couple of interesting links in it

Jim
Old 11-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #36

A word to the wise; a couple of years ago I bought what I thought was a Cummings generator. I have suspected that it did not put out clean voltage and a couple of months ago it quit producing electricity. I have a Cummings service center a short drive away so I threw it in the back of my truck and took it in. Imagine my surprise when I was told that it is a Chineese knock-off. I cannot find any one who will work on it and no parts are available. The label says Cummings and in very small print "industrial tools"
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1550 View Post
We have a Champion 3500/4000 (under $400). Ever Ingenious Spouse modified the exhaust and fiddled with it and I must admit, it works very well. Inside the TT we don't notice it.

Can you send me a PM on how the ingenious spousal unit altered the exhaust? I have found a champion 7000/9000 that I was thinking of for home backup but want to change the exhaust set up to be more quiet.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #38
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKosar View Post
My two cents...

We have a Boliy Pro3600SiE digital inverter, with 3600 kW continuous output. Operates almost as quietly as the Hondas. (Had opportunity to check the sound output of the Boliy nearby another RVer who was running his Honda 3000.)

The Boliy 3600 easily powers our Rockwood 8289WS 5-er's main 15,000 BTU a/c, all lights, TV and coffee maker. It can't run both of our 2 a/c's simultaneously, but that is no problem since the 15,000 BTU main a/c easily cools the entire RV even during Texas and Florida summers. As full timers, we needed to operate it several times in each of the last 3 years that we have owned it. Rugged and reliable, easy to use, key starter. Can add an external outboard motor gas tank for it to power our trailer all night.

Boliy Generator
X 2 plus it weight 75# battery start or pull start. I also have the 6 gal external tank.Cost under $1300 and free shipping. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #39

Honda

I have the Honda 2000i and its companion giving me another 2k. They're great . . . quiet, efficient, and easy to start. Convenient too as I only haul the companion if I'm planning on using the AC. I also hear from construction workers who speak highly of their durability and longevity . . . "last indefinitely" . . . "can't kill them."
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #40

We bought a 3600 Kipor 9 years ago and other than one battery it has not missed a beat. It ran for 19 hours straight(3 tanks of fuel) during a fire that took out our power and closed the road. We ran the trailer without air, a fridge in our cabin and with extension cords a fridge and freezer in the father in laws cabin next door.
125# and 54 Db at idle and 64 under heavy load.
We don't use the Eco mode as it tends to make the gen surge while the coffee pot starts and that has ruined a couple coffee makers and that just won't do. Lol
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie