Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
QFT! Shop the camping specialty stores. And, some of that stuff is truly camping specialized with regard to space savings or space.

But so much of it can be had in the regular housewares area, or, hate it that I do, Walmart. I don't mind paying a little more for something specialized, but when I can get an equally capable portable grill for $100 at Home Depot over the $300 "camping" grill that is similar cooking surface but packs down four inches shorter? Yeah, I'll suffer with that four inches and pocket my $200 in savings. 10'X20' outdoor mat for $149 or 9'X12' from Walmart for $49? Would I have paid $79 or maybe $100 for the 10X20? Sure. $149? Letting my southern out a bit, they've done bumped their heads.

There's things you want to get at the camping stores. Electrical adapters, surge protectors, etc. But propane accessories for example, you likely have a propane distributor near you that will sell to you with more knowledge and better pricing.

So shop around, the camping stores have neat stuff because they have searched out the cool stuff that appeals to us, but look around and see what you can find elsewhere.

We had been looking for a grill for the RV, we liked the Webber one with the side tables and the stand, but I didn't want to spend that much money. So we talked about it and decided that we would wait until fall to see if they were put on sale. We went to the "Camping" store we were really looking at Motor Homes, looking around the store looked at the clearance stuff, I came back around the corner I was going to check out one of the chairs, when I saw the grill. It had a sticker on it I kept looking for the other number, I went and got my hubby showed it to him, he said where is the other number? He look at one of the sales people and asked what was wrong with the grill, they said nothing, it was on the forth mark down. This grill is a Thermos brand grill, it was $279, yes it was a little bigger then what we were looking for, however, it was marked down to $41, I thought hubby was going to hurt himself, trying to get it to the counter.

Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
We had been looking for a grill for the RV, we liked the Webber one with the side tables and the stand, but I didn't want to spend that much money. So we talked about it and decided that we would wait until fall to see if they were put on sale. We went to the "Camping" store we were really looking at Motor Homes, looking around the store looked at the clearance stuff, I came back around the corner I was going to check out one of the chairs, when I saw the grill. It had a sticker on it I kept looking for the other number, I went and got my hubby showed it to him, he said where is the other number? He look at one of the sales people and asked what was wrong with the grill, they said nothing, it was on the forth mark down. This grill is a Thermos brand grill, it was $279, yes it was a little bigger then what we were looking for, however, it was marked down to $41, I thought hubby was going to hurt himself, trying to get it to the counter.
$41? I thought my $79 marked down from $99 was a good deal!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #23
Site Team

If you have an electric tongue jack, check which size fuse it takes, then get about a dozen of them. It took me that many to learn where to properly stop raising before it would blow the fuse.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #24

All great suggestions here.
With the lists in mind, your first camping trip should be in a place that is as close to your house as possible.
Actually staying in the camper you will find all the stuff that you didn't pack or that you figure out you need.
Since you are close to home, you can run home and get it and put it in the trailer.
Suggest you don't try driveway camping for the shakedown, but to an actual campground.
CONGRATS on the new trailer and have fun!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #25
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
If you have a Amazon prime account, this is the best RV store in the world! Everything we have recommended can be purchased at Amazon, cheaper than most anywhere else and your prime account gives you free 2 day shipping (and YES they will happily ship to that RV camp you are at for the week ) If you don't have Amazon prime, consider getting it now (while it is $79 a year) not only do you get the free shipping but a great FREE movie & TV library that you can watch after a long day outdoors!
Sure, but does Amazon sell bottles of Jack? I think not...

TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags