Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #1

Newbie Question

I want to put on A reciver on the back of my 07 Sandpiper 315BHT FIFTH for my bike rack. What is the best way to do this. Dealer said he could weld any reciver on that I wanted. Will ths void any warranty? Or shuld I get A bolt on?Hidden Hitch make A bolt on (#HH82201 3500LB GROSS AND 300LB TONGUE) THANK YOU FOR ANY INFO
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #2

I have one and I bolted mine on, but if welding was available at the time, that's the way I would have preferred. As far as warranty Issues, I don't think it would effect it at all, but you can all ways call the dealer or the manufacture....... But hold on another member here just might be able to help!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Team

If you add anything to your frame AND you have a frame problem, the warranty could POSSIBLY be denied if they (FR or the frame mfg) deemed that the addition contributed to the failure. The chance of you having a frame failure is very slim but it could happen. If it were I, I would opt for the bolted on one, but that's just me. Call FR and ask their opinion of adding a hitch to your unit.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

My 316 had the reciever welded to the bumper and THEN a cross brace welded between the frame rails. The dealer also does snowplows for the highway crews...nice job. He guaranteed I could tow my SeaDoo if I wanted to....which I wont...but watch out for the bike rack! Get one with a full 2" shaft....the smaller one with an adpater is just too flimsy for the bouncing the bikes will do. Might want to consider a tie down to triangulate the bike rack with the brace below the buper...to take the bounce out of the rack. I ruined a Sport Rack meant for 200lbs with just 1 adult bike and 2 kids bikes. Almost lost the bikes! But the reciever held!
thetourmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #5

The last RV show we went to this year I was looking at Forestriver, I noticed on the back of the camper they had installed a sticker near the bumper with weight limit, this is the first time I have seen this. The sticker states With a 6" extenion from the bumper the weight limit is 135 lbs. So if this holds true to yours, weigh your bikes and don't forget to add the weight of the bike rack. I have a bike rack that holds 4 bikes and there is alot of movement while in motion. So just be careful.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote