Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We have an RV fridge and I will get her the night before we are heading out.

When I first get to the lot to get her, I'll turn on the propane and turn on the power and run the gas on the stovetop until they start. (Helps the fridge get gas faster.) I'll turn on the fridge and listen as the gas comes and you'll hear it's clicking until it lights. (My fridge seems to cool faster on gas then electric, as many have also noticed.) From then until I get her parked outside the house it will already start getting cold. At the house, I'll run an extension cord to the camper and plug it in and it'll switch to electric. (I also make sure the thermo inside the fridge is on the lowest setting, which is pushed up towards the top.)

I, also, leave the propane on while driving to keep the fridge/freezer cold. (I'll turn it off before pulling into the gas station to refuel.)

Good advise to have everything you're bringing pre-chilled in the fridge.

Also, when you park the camper, open up both the freezer and the fridge doors and leave them open...prevents getting mildew inside of them. (And I always drain the water heater and fresh water tank as they can start smelling like rotten eggs if I leave water in there.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
We have driven 10 hours before with the fridge already cooled and fairly full of cold food. When we arrived home, everything was still quite cold.

No propane or anything. Just something to experiment with sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
That’s one for the record books! My fridge can’t do that unless I’m traveling during cold weather.
I can't say 10 hours, but I know I've gone 4 hours. I bought one of these and it will read out in the cab of the truck, so I can keep an eye on it going down the road.

Bed, Bath and Beyond has them.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...rts/1040496481

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I can't say 10 hours, but I know I've gone 4 hours. I bought one of these and it will read out in the cab of the truck, so I can keep an eye on it going down the road.

Bed, Bath and Beyond has them.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...rts/1040496481
I have travelled with mine for six hours in 100 degree weather and everything was still cold when we arrived. Everything in the freezer was still frozen hard. Everything was cold when we put it in the fridge. That being said, I would not be opposed to towing with the fridge running on propane while driving.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #24

Our fridge is 2 way E and G. go the night before and turn it on with gas and in the morning it is cold.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #25

We have a Rockwood 5th wheel with an RV fridge. We try to turn on the propane and chill fridge the night before, so it is really cold the next morning. I load up food in the freezer, adding some blue ice bricks both in fridge and freezer. Milk freezes quite well, so I have a carton or two frozen already to add. Once everything is loaded, we close up the trailer, turn off the propane, and head down the road. Everything stays frozen in the freezer and cold in the fridge until we reach or destination.
nanniwinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags