Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

newbie question re: lots o things.

Hi, purchasing a 27Q to be used on a friends empty lot near the shore in NJ. Theres no hardwired electrical or plumbing, so I'm kinda going off the grid a little. They will provide me with electrical from their home, but its likely to be a 15amp circuit, so running AC will be highly questionable and I know I'll be severly limited by this. What AC cord will be best to run from the house to my RV? Gauge? etc.

In addition they will also provide me water from an outside faucet for bathing and dishes, we will NOT be drinking from this water supply, what brand hose am I looking for?

One last question; haven't figured out the black water situation yet? Comments? Mr porta john? Johnny on the spot?
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilonmyback View Post
Hi, purchasing a 27Q to be used on a friends empty lot near the shore in NJ. Theres no hardwired electrical or plumbing, so I'm kinda going off the grid a little. They will provide me with electrical from their home, but its likely to be a 15amp circuit, so running AC will be highly questionable and I know I'll be severly limited by this. What AC cord will be best to run from the house to my RV? Gauge? etc.
Run the RV's cord, to the hose and dogbone right to house.

Quote:
In addition they will also provide me water from an outside faucet for bathing and dishes, we will NOT be drinking from this water supply, what brand hose am I looking for?
White hose still, that way you've got it whenever you move on. And why not drink? An outside faucet is the same as an inside tap.

Quote:
One last question; haven't figured out the black water situation yet? Comments? Mr porta john? Johnny on the spot?
Knock on friend's door? Get a key made?

Seriously, if you don't have a sewer connection you'll have to pull out to a dump station and/or put it in an appropriate tote (sometimes called a blue boy and a host of other names.) that you can get from a RV supply store and bring that to a dump station.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Resident Masshole

Does your friend have city sewer or a regular holding tank / leech field setup at his house?

If the latter and you can get to the holding tank lid easily, you can dump before you go.

Otherwise, if you have smart phone suggest trying the Sanidumps app. I paid the $2 for it (I have an Android), gives you locations of many dump stations near you based on GPS.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #4

For your power cord, you need to know the length of the run and the amperage. Then you can use a sizing chart. There are lots of them around. Here is a link to one if you scroll down the page in the link:

Buying Guide: Extension CordsÂ*at The Home Depot

Any garden hose will work for the water, but generally for RV fresh water supply you want the white hose. Can get them at Walmart or any RV supply store.

For the waste water, the easiest option would be to see if you can find a way to connect to your friend's septic or sewer line (how good a friend is this?). A macerator pump and enough hose to reach the house would be needed. Then you can just pump the tanks into their sewer. Requires some setup and investment, but sure beats hauling the trailer out or carting protable tanks around everytime your tanks are full.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #5

Couple of questions
1. How far is it to the house from the TT? Long distances = added resistance to the circuit you are extending. High quality heavy (10) gauge extension cords are expensive but worth the cost if the distances are over 25 ft. You'll want 10ga for sure if you plan to run the A/C

2. What are the temps expected to be? Higher temps increased resistance. Again a good reason to get a heaver gauge cord.

3. If the outside faucet is on the home's culinary water supply then no problem with drinking it. Be sure you get a potable water supply hose (usually white color) Walmart has these along with the usual RV supply places. If the water isn't culinary then 5 gallon carry jugs become the supply for all but the toilet uses.

4. Waste water is a real situation. If you plan to use the TT most weekends then a "Blue boy" is a reasonable option as you can haul it away and dump it as you travel. If traveling with a tank full of POO isn't your idea of fun then I'd suggest a call to the local Porta John folks. they have tanks that you can run your waste hose (stinky-slinky) to then they will come out and pump the tank as needed. Not unlike a temporary septic.

Attached picture is from the dump station at Zion National Park. You gotta do something while you're waiting for the tanks to drain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_6426.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	49410  
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #6

This is to start in May and run through October, so temps will be warm, although it is right on the water, so I'm hoping a breeze will prevail. The distance may be up to 100 feet from the the AC source, same with the water supply. The water from the outside faucet is the same water that supplies their drinking water.

As for tapping into their sewer system, they are in the process of looking into laying in the sewer line for future development of the piece of land which would solve all my problems, but I'm not hopeful that will come true. Got to plan for doing things the hard way.

This TT is going to be used just on weekends, so we're not going to be overloading the black water tanks. The TT is not going to move, its going to stay put for the six months (I hope) so a semi permanent solution to black water is required.
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Well, as I see it you have three options:

1) tap into a sewer
2) bring the waste to a dump station
3) pay somebody to come get your waste

There's not really any other way to get rid of it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Well, as I see it you have three options:

1) tap into a sewer
2) bring the waste to a dump station
3) pay somebody to come get your waste

There's not really any other way to get rid of it.
Depending on terrain- a macerator pump and a 1" hose may work. It could potentially be fed right into a toilet.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #9

if your plugged into there house, don't assume you have 15 amps available. If the outlet you are using is on the same breaker as others in their home, going to be lots of tripped breakers
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Depending on terrain- a macerator pump and a 1" hose may work. It could potentially be fed right into a toilet.

Gotta keep up with those flushes pretty fast to stay in front of the output of a macerator.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Gotta keep up with those flushes pretty fast to stay in front of the output of a macerator.
Heh. Good point. But wouldn't it flush automatically kind of like pouring a large volume of water into a toilet? (Guess that's definitely one of those, try it with gray water first kinds of things!)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Heh. Good point. But wouldn't it flush automatically kind of like pouring a large volume of water into a toilet? (Guess that's definitely one of those, try it with gray water first kinds of things!)

I don't know. I haven't had much luck with the toilet flushing when the kids put in a large volume of water. Been more like "Honey, get the mop and a plunger!".
Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I don't know. I haven't had much luck with the toilet flushing when the kids put in a large volume of water. Been more like "Honey, get the mop and a plunger!".
Just pumping into the bowl would probably overflow it. If you were to actually push the end of the hose down into the through the base of the toilet you can pump into it without issue. Don't ask...

A better solution would be a tie in in the basement or crawl space - like a threaded cleanout fitting. You could take the plug out and get some pvc parts to either reduce back to a hose fitting, or just leave an open stand pipe with a U-trap to pump into. Black first, then flush everything with the gray. Then you can just unroll a hose from the trailer to the house whenever you need to empty the tanks. Just make sure you pump with a macerator pump.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Just be cautious with the A/C, you probably won't be able to run much else (i.e. microwave). Make sure you have a surge protector too.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #15

If your friend has enough room on the electrical panel you could hire an electrician to install a 30 amp post near the TT. You could also install a hydro meter on the post so you could keep a record on the amount of hydro being used and compensate your friend. I would also install an outside sewer pipe and use a macerator pump to remove the waste from the TT. I would also be using the white water hose that is safe for drinking water. It you have grass in the path of the water hose I would dig a small trench and bury a 1 inch ABS or PVC pipe and run the water hose through the pipe. The water hose will not be in the sun and the grass will be easy to cut with out having to move the hose or even cutting the hose by mistake.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags