Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Newbie questions......

Hi everyone, Dennis and Elaine here.

We recently purchased our first RV a 2015 Microlite 25ks and are a bit over whelmed by all that goes along with our new adventure. The weather here in NC hasn't cooperated so we haven't even had a chance to try it out yet. When we do the plan is to pull it with a 2014 all wheel drive Grand Cherokee with the towing package.

We've picked up some great info just reading the forums here and on other sites but we do have lots of questions and would greatly appreciate any help, answers or tips from the group.

We have been trying to purchase some of the things on our wish list so that we will be a little more prepared when we finally got out on the road.

Since we hope to be off the grid some we went with a Honda 3000IU inverter generator. We plan to haul it in the U shape of the dining area which is directly across from the slide out. There’s no problem with it fitting there but I had to have it put on wheels so I could use a ramp for loading and unloading.

I have a couple of ideas about to secure it during travel but I’m sure others here have already solved this problem so any tips would be great.

Also, is there anything I should do to keep down the smell of gasoline after towing it for hours in a closed up travel trailer? The dealer I bought it from said it would not be a problem but then he wanted to make the sell.

He also said the oil should be changed every 20 to 24 hours of run time. Is that really necessary ? I mean I can’t imagine anyone who dry camps changing the generator oil every 2 or 3 days.

Another big question is: Does anyone have any sort of anti-theft ideas for this model generator? I can chain it to the trailer. But it’d be easy to simply cut through the handles and slip the chains off.

We also purchased an RV surge protector for use when in a campground. Should I use it with the Honda as well or is its power clean and smooth enough that it isn’t needed?

More questions later I’m sure and thanks in advance for any help.
DennisFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Hi, Welcome to the FORUM and congrats on the purchase!

Towing is always one of the first concerns. I am not sure of the engine you have in your 2014 Jeep but the least rated model year is 6200# and the highest is 7200#. Your micro has a GVWR of 6538#. Your base weight is 4310# for the TT. So as long as you dont load the TT the max and you watch your vehicle weight it is do-able there. Where most people get into trouble is they overload the TV in terms of payload. It looks like your payload is 1050#, so when calculating weight for payload make sure you factor in tongue weight, and all passengers and cargo in the TV.

I would strongly suggest a WDH if you do not have one already.

As for the generator question, in my TT I carry my Yamaha 2k in there, I put it in a square plastic drip pan so it does not make a mess. I have had it in there for 10 hour drives and I have never smelt gas once I get to where I am going. For securing it I have coolers that I put around it to keep it in place. I do not strap or tie it down. The weight keeps it in place and the weight of the coolers keep them in place as well.

Oil changes, I may catch flack for this by some but after the initial break in of the genny engine I only change my oil at the end of every season. I run my genny about 100-150 hours a season. I only check to make sure it is full. With that though, I run delvac heavy duty diesel engine oil in it and that is why I do not change it. If I ran cheapo oil through it then I would change it more often. Like I said this is what I personally do.

My theft deterrent is the same as your thoughts, I have a large/thick cable lock that I wrap through the handle and then attach to the frame of my TT. Is this the safest method, probably not. My thinking is if they want to steal it that bad they will find a way no matter how good I think I secure it. So this is what I do which is enough piece of mind for me.

I have a surge protector but I have not used it at all yet, I just got it and my new TT for that matter. My plan is to use it for everything and eventually get it hardwired in so it is always there.

I hope this helps and I am sure you will enjoy your new rig! Good Luck and have fun!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

Congrats on your new TT purchase and welcome to one heck of a lifestyle of fun!
I wouldn't worry to much about over thinking how to better secure the genset other than what you mentioned. As Suicide said, if someone wants it bad enough, they'll get it no matter what you do to secure/lock it up. For that matter, most campgrounds are quiet easy going places. In my nine years camping I have never felt un-comfortable about leaving things out around my campsite. You will not be the only one camping with a generator out to be seen. If this don't help you can always wheel it back in to your rig when you leave the campsite for any extended amount of time.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFinley View Post
Hi everyone, Dennis and Elaine here.

We recently purchased our first RV a 2015 Microlite 25ks and are a bit over whelmed by all that goes along with our new adventure. The weather here in NC hasn't cooperated so we haven't even had a chance to try it out yet. When we do the plan is to pull it with a 2014 all wheel drive Grand Cherokee with the towing package.

We've picked up some great info just reading the forums here and on other sites but we do have lots of questions and would greatly appreciate any help, answers or tips from the group.

We have been trying to purchase some of the things on our wish list so that we will be a little more prepared when we finally got out on the road.

Since we hope to be off the grid some we went with a Honda 3000IU inverter generator. We plan to haul it in the U shape of the dining area which is directly across from the slide out. There’s no problem with it fitting there but I had to have it put on wheels so I could use a ramp for loading and unloading.

I have a couple of ideas about to secure it during travel but I’m sure others here have already solved this problem so any tips would be great.

Also, is there anything I should do to keep down the smell of gasoline after towing it for hours in a closed up travel trailer? The dealer I bought it from said it would not be a problem but then he wanted to make the sell.

He also said the oil should be changed every 20 to 24 hours of run time. Is that really necessary ? I mean I can’t imagine anyone who dry camps changing the generator oil every 2 or 3 days.

Another big question is: Does anyone have any sort of anti-theft ideas for this model generator? I can chain it to the trailer. But it’d be easy to simply cut through the handles and slip the chains off.

We also purchased an RV surge protector for use when in a campground. Should I use it with the Honda as well or is its power clean and smooth enough that it isn’t needed?

More questions later I’m sure and thanks in advance for any help.

The first thing I would do is load up the trailer as if you were leaving on a trip and visit the nearest scale and weigh the tow vehicle and trailer. You may be very near or over weight ratings for both TT and TV. Microlites have notoriously small carrying capacity.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Welcome from a fellow North Carolinian. It's 64 degrees right now, so maybe you will get on the road soon.

Just wanted to mention a few of our favorite NC campgrounds for times when you're not boondocking.

Jordan Lake: A large and very nice state park.
Four Paws Kingdom, Rutherfordton: Everything a dog and its owner could want.
Dan Nicholas Park, Salisbury: Great county park with a zoo and other activities for kids.
Mama Gertie's Hideaway, Swannanoa: Cleanest and best-run campground IMHO.
Cross Winds, Linwood: Deep, wooded sites in Section B
Jones Station RV Park, Mebane. Great new park near Research Triangle.

Hope this is helpful. Check them out on RV Park Reviews.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and suggestions.

We do have a Reese WDH with cam anti-sway. I'd done a lot of reading and found some that were quite a bit more expensive that the Reese unit. I asked the salesman at TJs if one the others would be worth the extra expense and he said that considering all the variables the Reese should be more than sufficient.

I figured that if a salesman wasn't trying to sell me an expensive upgrade I could probably trust him on it.

I haven't pulled the TT long distance and haven't been on interstate but we are trying to go with lighter weight items whenever possible so hopefully we'll be okay.

You're right about trying to lock up the generator as well. If someone wants to steal something badly enough they will find a way. It's like I've always heard, locks only keep honest people out. If a thief wants something or wants in, they will find a way.

Thanks again.
D & E
DennisFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

For portable gen security, you're dead on. There's not much point putting a heavy chain and lock on it. The weakest point is the plastic handle. A couple of strokes with a hacksaw and it's gone.

You might look into something like this.. I have them on both of my 2000watt portables. I don't know if it would fit your 3000, but the angles can always be adjusted.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome from Mebane, NC. Congrats on your new trailer. As stated above weigh your rig loaded. Weigh the keep with and without the tt to see where everything lies. Get a quality wdh, preferably with integrated sway control. Being in nebo, I'm guessing you'll be doing a good bit of mountain towing so make sure you get your weights under control and get a good brake controller. If you don't have an integrated brake controller (are these even available in jeeps?) Get a proportional brake controller like prodigy p2 or p3. If your jeep is not equipped with a heavy duty tranny cooler, get one installed, you will need it.

For NC campgrounds, I agree crosswinds in Linwood, Jones Station in mebane, Jordan lake (poplar point or crosswinds) are nice. We are also trying out kerr lake this summer. We love sycamore lodge in Jackson springs but it is a membership campground. For the beach camping hatteras and the koa in rodanthe get great reviews. Boone koa and marion jellystone are supposed to really nice and are both in our to do list.

Enjoy your new microlite!
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #9

Since your going to be off the grid alot I would up your battery capacity so you don't have to run the generator so much. One battery will barley get you through one night of using the furnace. I would get as many batteries as you can fit. Four 12 volts will give you about 345 ah and four 6 volts would give you about 440 ah...

I imagine you got the Honda 3000 because you want to run your AC or Microwave? If not that's alot of generator for just charging the batteries.

You should consider a rack off the back of the trailer to carry it. Rolling it out with a ramp will get old quick. You can mount and lock it down to discourage theft...
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #10

After you see those excellent I'm sure NC campgrounds, hit the highway when time permits to take in the vast beauty of the U.S. Any direction you choose there is much to see with in a day or evening after work drive.....Enjoy!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisFinley View Post
As for the oil change interval, I think you misunderstood. It's important to change the oil for the first time at 20 hours of use, to remove the break in oil. During this period, the oil can accumulate any metal shavings that might have been left in the engine during manufacture. You need to remove these metal shavings. After that, the user's manual for the EU3000i suggests a service interval for oil changes at 100 hours or after 6 months, whichever comes first. IMO, how well you adhere to this schedule will determine the life of your generator's engine. There will always be those who say you don't need to do this but most any mechanic will disagree. If you have minimal use and your camping season only last 6 months out of the year, you MIGHT get away with changing your oil once per year.
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #12

Does the rack cause any structural problem for the TT? We have a basic Wildwood xlite and the warranty said that any extra racks would negate the warranty.
laurarice26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #13

I am not a lawyer but I would think that to void your warranty it would have to be directly related to the warranty issue. I think the rack in the picture is bolted to the bumper I think if I was too do this I would have a welding shop fabricate a frame support like a slide in trailer hitch where the rack can be taken off.

Check out this link all kinds of comments pro and cons scrool down and check out all the pics there are some pretty good ideas and some not so good..

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Mounting a Cargo Carrier with Gen on the back of my TT?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

I took a look at 1l243's link and though I don't have a TT, by BIL does and he mounted a bike rack on a bumper hitch class 3 for two bikes on the rear of his 26' Jayco. That lasted one or two outings as the bikes bounced around so much they dented and scratched up the back of his trailer. He gave the hitch mount to a buddy of mine.

Tags