Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
If you are going to be plugging in sensitive electronics then, yes, you want a Progressive EMS unit. At a bare minimum, you want:

20' of sewer hose
2 25' water hoses
Plug converters (dogbones)
2 25' extension cords
bucket

you really do want:

quality tires
air pressure gauge
Viair air compressor
generator(s) if boondocking
TPMS (TST 507)

I have forgotten some things. A more specific list can be developed if we know what your RV is
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesn’t have to be something special? And is the

Power Strip Tower-JACKYLED Surge Protector Electric Charging Station 3000W 13A 16AWG 6 Outlet Plugs with 4 USB Slot 6ft Cord Wire Extension Universal Charging Station Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPADPCW..._zpOjCbMPG4KWA
__________________

Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Bill and Gail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
What is reason for not using a 50a, if can be avoided, if RV is 30a? Just trying to understand everything.
Thank you everyone for your responses, it is so helpful!
If there is an amp draw above the 30a, the 30a breaker will trip. The 50a will not trip until it is exceeded, this could cause problems if your internal breaker doesn't trip. I only use the 50a if it is absolutely necessary. Your rig will not draw 50a, it is designed to only use a max of 30a. If you exceed 30a, your breaker inside will trip, even if you are plugged into 50a.
__________________

Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Bill and Gail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesnít have to be something special? And is the

Power Strip Tower-JACKYLED Surge Protector Electric Charging Station 3000W 13A 16AWG 6 Outlet Plugs with 4 USB Slot 6ft Cord Wire Extension Universal Charging Station Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPADPCW..._zpOjCbMPG4KWA
Not to scare you, but, the EMS protects the whole rig from surges, low voltage, high voltage, reversed neutral and bad ground. Any one of which can take out your fridge, microwave, tv, stereo, etc. If nothing else, I would at least get a surge protector, to protect from surges.
If you do get one, get the EMS or Surge protector from either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard.
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
If there is an amp draw above the 30a, the 30a breaker will trip. The 50a will not trip until it is exceeded, this could cause problems if your internal breaker doesn't trip. I only use the 50a if it is absolutely necessary. Your rig will not draw 50a, it is designed to only use a max of 30a. If you exceed 30a, your breaker inside will trip, even if you are plugged into 50a.
Please don't let this scare you.

While certainly not impossible, the probability of "something" causing a current draw between the campground power post and your 30 amp breaker that is greater than 30 amps but less than 50 amps is pretty slim. A lottery ticket probably has better odds. If it were more probable, it would be illegal to use adapters.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesnít have to be something special? And is the

Power Strip Tower-JACKYLED Surge Protector Electric Charging Station 3000W 13A 16AWG 6 Outlet Plugs with 4 USB Slot 6ft Cord Wire Extension Universal Charging Station Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPADPCW..._zpOjCbMPG4KWA
You want something just for the RV called an "EMS". See if this helps:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
What do you have for one?
For an EMS? The Progressive Industries EMS like it mentions in the article. Mine is hard-wired but portables have their benefits.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
Not to scare you, but, the EMS protects the whole rig from surges, low voltage, high voltage, reversed neutral and bad ground. Any one of which can take out your fridge, microwave, tv, stereo, etc. If nothing else, I would at least get a surge protector, to protect from surges.
If you do get one, get the EMS or Surge protector from either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard.
Yikes. $255 on amazon
And pretty necessary?
Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Please don't let this scare you.

While certainly not impossible, the probability of "something" causing a current draw between the campground power post and your 30 amp breaker that is greater than 30 amps but less than 50 amps is pretty slim. A lottery ticket probably has better odds. If it were more probable, it would be illegal to use adapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
What do you have for yours?
I use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter when I need to.

If you're asking about an EMS, I don't use an EMS. Neither do a lot of people, but many other people swear by them and will tell you you NEED one. I've been camping for 30+ years and have never had an electrical issue. That doesn't mean I won't tomorrow, but it's my experience.

They are essentially an insurance policy; do you feel lucky? I've never felt the need for one.

This is just one example of what someone else told you in one of the posts above about "opinions" on this forum. There are many debates here on the forum concerning many things. Examples: gas vs diesel tow vehicles, slideouts vs no slideouts, slideout covers or no slideout covers, use of bike racks, RV toilet paper vs regular TP, Blue Ox WDH vs Equal-i-zer WDH vs Anderson WDH, Ford vs Chevy vs Ram, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton, etc., etc.

You need to read as much as you can on both sides of any issue and make your own decision.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
I like hearing multiple responses Not sure I can afford $255 more dollars right now. So that might have to wait unfortunatly
Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Wheel chocks

Are wheel chocks necessary?
__________________

Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.