Old 12-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
If you are going to be plugging in sensitive electronics then, yes, you want a Progressive EMS unit. At a bare minimum, you want:

20' of sewer hose
2 25' water hoses
Plug converters (dogbones)
2 25' extension cords
bucket

you really do want:

quality tires
air pressure gauge
Viair air compressor
generator(s) if boondocking
TPMS (TST 507)

I have forgotten some things. A more specific list can be developed if we know what your RV is
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesn’t have to be something special? And is the

Power Strip Tower-JACKYLED Surge Protector Electric Charging Station 3000W 13A 16AWG 6 Outlet Plugs with 4 USB Slot 6ft Cord Wire Extension Universal Charging Station Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPADPCW..._zpOjCbMPG4KWA

Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
What is reason for not using a 50a, if can be avoided, if RV is 30a? Just trying to understand everything.
Thank you everyone for your responses, it is so helpful!
If there is an amp draw above the 30a, the 30a breaker will trip. The 50a will not trip until it is exceeded, this could cause problems if your internal breaker doesn't trip. I only use the 50a if it is absolutely necessary. Your rig will not draw 50a, it is designed to only use a max of 30a. If you exceed 30a, your breaker inside will trip, even if you are plugged into 50a.

Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesnít have to be something special? And is the

Power Strip Tower-JACKYLED Surge Protector Electric Charging Station 3000W 13A 16AWG 6 Outlet Plugs with 4 USB Slot 6ft Cord Wire Extension Universal Charging Station Office https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPADPCW..._zpOjCbMPG4KWA
Not to scare you, but, the EMS protects the whole rig from surges, low voltage, high voltage, reversed neutral and bad ground. Any one of which can take out your fridge, microwave, tv, stereo, etc. If nothing else, I would at least get a surge protector, to protect from surges.
If you do get one, get the EMS or Surge protector from either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard.
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
If there is an amp draw above the 30a, the 30a breaker will trip. The 50a will not trip until it is exceeded, this could cause problems if your internal breaker doesn't trip. I only use the 50a if it is absolutely necessary. Your rig will not draw 50a, it is designed to only use a max of 30a. If you exceed 30a, your breaker inside will trip, even if you are plugged into 50a.
Please don't let this scare you.

While certainly not impossible, the probability of "something" causing a current draw between the campground power post and your 30 amp breaker that is greater than 30 amps but less than 50 amps is pretty slim. A lottery ticket probably has better odds. If it were more probable, it would be illegal to use adapters.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Would something like this work for inside the rv and is the EMS necessary for outside when plugging into RV parks electric you mean?There are so many...doesnít have to be something special? And is the

You want something just for the RV called an "EMS". See if this helps:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Old 12-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
What do you have for one?
For an EMS? The Progressive Industries EMS like it mentions in the article. Mine is hard-wired but portables have their benefits.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
Not to scare you, but, the EMS protects the whole rig from surges, low voltage, high voltage, reversed neutral and bad ground. Any one of which can take out your fridge, microwave, tv, stereo, etc. If nothing else, I would at least get a surge protector, to protect from surges.
If you do get one, get the EMS or Surge protector from either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard.
Yikes. $255 on amazon
And pretty necessary?
Old 12-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Please don't let this scare you.

While certainly not impossible, the probability of "something" causing a current draw between the campground power post and your 30 amp breaker that is greater than 30 amps but less than 50 amps is pretty slim. A lottery ticket probably has better odds. If it were more probable, it would be illegal to use adapters.
Quote:
What do you have for yours?
I use a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter when I need to.

If you're asking about an EMS, I don't use an EMS. Neither do a lot of people, but many other people swear by them and will tell you you NEED one. I've been camping for 30+ years and have never had an electrical issue. That doesn't mean I won't tomorrow, but it's my experience.

They are essentially an insurance policy; do you feel lucky? I've never felt the need for one.

This is just one example of what someone else told you in one of the posts above about "opinions" on this forum. There are many debates here on the forum concerning many things. Examples: gas vs diesel tow vehicles, slideouts vs no slideouts, slideout covers or no slideout covers, use of bike racks, RV toilet paper vs regular TP, Blue Ox WDH vs Equal-i-zer WDH vs Anderson WDH, Ford vs Chevy vs Ram, 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton, etc., etc.

You need to read as much as you can on both sides of any issue and make your own decision.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #29

I like hearing multiple responses Not sure I can afford $255 more dollars right now. So that might have to wait unfortunatly
Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #30

Wheel chocks

Are wheel chocks necessary?

Tags