Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
Is this all I need for the septic/toilet part of things?
Walex BOI-11530 Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester Drop-Ins, Alpine Fresh Scent (Pack of 10)
For the short amount of time the waste is in your black tank, digesters don't really do much. Won't hurt, but doesn't really help. Waste of $$ in my opinion.

Many of us use the "Geo Method." See this link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

While we're on the subject of waste: Don't expect the level indicator lights on your control panel to accurately reflect the levels in your black, grey and fresh water tanks. These lights are notoriously LOUSY. The grey tank fills the fastest; you'll get a feel for how fast after you've camped a few times. If you find water backing up into your shower, that's a good indication that the grey tank is full.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Are wheel chocks necessary?
yes you do and need, its better to do than over the river and threw the woods!
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Is the biopak dropins all that is needed for the toilet/septic?
geo method, very easy, you dont want stink
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #44

Sorry, I was wondering what model Sunseeker you have.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #45
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Hollyse...

I feel some pain for you... new to a used RV and traveling in the winter on a long trip can be daunting...

others on here arguing that you need wheel chocks and EMS units are going a little overboard in my opinion for a newbie who is going to travel within a week...

First, use the campground facilities (bathroom) as much as possible and learn a bit about your bathroom systems before counting on them full-time.

Almost every park has 30A electric... and often 15A electric also. So maybe just a 50 foot heavy duty extension cord for emergency purposes. You probably already have many of the adapters that you MAY need from the previous owner. A small 1500 watt electric heater for emergency purposes ( $20) may be a lifesaver on a cold night.

Stop with your RV to a good auto repair place ( having made an inquiry BEFORE you go there) and have them do a GOOD safety check on the RV battery, tires, brakes and the spare tire also BEFORE getting on the road for such a long drive to make sure you are safe driving to your next destination.

Do a little driveway camping to get familiar with spending the night in the rig.

Have fun, stay safe and keep within the speed limit while driving. You will learn lots in the next days and weeks about your rig and you can then ask specific questions.
Hollyse,

I reposted this to ask you to re-read it.
This is VERY GOOD information.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, being a newbie, you are going to have lots of questions and get a ton of overwhelming information/opinion. Some good.... some not so good, especially for someone just starting out.

I wish you the best of luck on your new journey.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
2016 Sunseeker 2299s
Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #47

Books that all RV'ers should have:

BEFORE you tgake your fist trip, get the following:
Trailer Life RV and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston. This will explain EVERYTHING about how RV systems work

Google Phred's Poop Sheets. download, by far, the best instructions on dealing with both fresh water and more importantly, black tank maintenance, dumping, cleaning, type of toilet paper to use (septic tank acceptable) etc

Mountain Directory East
Mountain Directory West.

They are invaluable for planning your trip in regards to mountain grades.

These will answer most of the generic (not RV model/mfg specific) questions that are asked on most RV forums!
Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #48

Your controls, refrigerator, furnace, interior lights, slideouts, are 12 volt, TV, microwave, are 110.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to Hi Rider
Quote:
2016 forestRiver Sunseeker. Will plug in at the rv park. I believe the RV park has mostly 50a spots and the RV is 30a, so do I need an adapter of some kind?
So even when plugged in we will still need propane for hot water, heat, and fridge?
Sorry, I’m sure I sound silly with such basic questions...
And thank you everyone for your responses and help
I have a similar rig, i.e., Forest River Forester MBS 2401W. Most RV parks have both 50 and 30 amp power supplies. I also carry a short converter cable if needing to plug into a 50 amp. I also regularly use a surge protector. The hot water heater on my rig can use either propane or electricity. I always use electricity. My furnace is propane. I also carry two space heaters for severe cold. My coldest was Dec. 5th at 12 degrees. No problem. My rig also has "arctic pac" (heated pads around tanks) which helps. Fridge uses either propane or electricity. I always use electricity. I carry a desktop computer with 27in monitor as well as a laptop. I sometimes trip a circuit breaker when I forget to unplug a space heater when using a toaster. I find that running both space heaters at full capacity also will trip a breaker.
2020 - 162 Days and 5,359 Miles
2021 - 113 Days and 3,835 Miles
2022 - 35 Days and counting, and 3,372 Miles and counting
Hi Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #50
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
2016 Sunseeker 2299s
Some pages back you asked what the extension cords and bucket are for. You may find that you want to plug something in that is sitting on the picnic table outside (A light, a computer, etc.) One of the two cords should be heavy duty enough to extend the reach of your RV's built-in cord. At least one of the cords can be carried in the bucket and maybe a hose. Also handy for carrying tools as well as the basic purpose of carrying water when needed. Required it is not but handy it is.

You specifically mentioned computers in the initial post which is what caused me to say you need an EMS. I overstated the case. IMO, you very much want but do not need an EMS. Low voltage is the most common problem, especially in a full park. They are your devices and an EMS is basically just proactive insurance.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Is this all I need for the septic/toilet part of things?
Walex BOI-11530 Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester Drop-Ins, Alpine Fresh Scent (Pack of 10)
Just about any brand will do. I use what ever WM has on sale. Usually Camco. No problems in three years of seasonal (4 months ) of camping. Don't worry about the sent. You won't smell it down there.

Also, no need to buy RV toilet paper.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #52

Electric heater

Any suggestions for an electric heater to use while at RV park, so we dont have to use the propane?
How do we tell what outlets are on the same breakers so we don’t blow anything?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:44 PM   #53
Site Team

Ceramic heater or oil-filled radiator heater are popular.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Any suggestions for an electric heater to use while at RV park, so we dont have to use the propane?
To identify what is on a circuit turn off one circuit at a time to see what does not work with it off. Write them down and label the circuits.
You are in very cold country in Montana. Be very careful of freezing up (and bursting) your water lines.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #55
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
120v heaters can only be 1500w max.
A $100 heater rated at 1500w won't produce any more heat than a $25 heater rated at 1500w.

As mentioned, oil filled heaters are popular because they still give off heat once the heating element shuts off. They also take a bit longer to get up to temp though.

Using electric space heaters takes some thought as electrical current limitations can quickly be exceeded.

You often can't run two heaters on high but can run two on lower settings. If you need one at each end of the R/V, choose heaters that have adjustable heat settings.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #56

One thing I have found helpful on electric heated is a digital temp display on the thermostat. It is helpful to know what setting it is on. Typically around $40 to $50 at Wal-Mart, etc.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Any big box store, HDepot, Lowes even WalMart will have an assortment of heaters... for $20 to $50... get a Heavy Duty plug special just for that heater to use... a 50 foot 10/3 or at least a 12/3 ( 12/3 is how heavy duty the plug is... 10/3 is heavier than 12/3)...

You might even try a non-electric Mr. Heater propane model, which requires nothing more than some 1# propane tanks... and puts out much more heat than an electric heater... and get at least 8 of 1# propane tanks... about $2.50 per tank and should last overnight on low heat setting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mrheat2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	193706  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #58
Just as confused as you

Since you say you don't see purchasing an EMS is in your budget at this time, you should buy a multimeter and learn how to use it. You can do this at home before your first trip as the principals are the same. Using a multimeter before plugging into shore power can help you find problems with the pedestal power. IMHO, a multimeter is one of the most important tools a person can have when moving from one campground to another.

I have quickly looked through all the posts to this thread and did not notice anyone mention the use of a multimeter.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
2290s model
Old 12-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rider View Post
I have a similar rig, i.e., Forest River Forester MBS 2401W. Most RV parks have both 50 and 30 amp power supplies. I also carry a short converter cable if needing to plug into a 50 amp. I also regularly use a surge protector. The hot water heater on my rig can use either propane or electricity. I always use electricity. My furnace is propane. I also carry two space heaters for severe cold. My coldest was Dec. 5th at 12 degrees. No problem. My rig also has "arctic pac" (heated pads around tanks) which helps. Fridge uses either propane or electricity. I always use electricity. I carry a desktop computer with 27in monitor as well as a laptop. I sometimes trip a circuit breaker when I forget to unplug a space heater when using a toaster. I find that running both space heaters at full capacity also will trip a breaker.
Thank you for your response. So does it matter which outlet I plug the space heater into? Just a different one then everything else?

Tags