Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 PM   #1

Newbie RVír Help

Leaving in a week to head to OR in a new to me RV. So overwhelmed with how to determine what I need to have and how things work, etc. The RV did not come with any manuals Questions like if I plug in 2 monitors and a laptop will I blow a fuse?
What uses the propane and what uses the battery?
Do I need some kind of water filter?
Is there a special surge protector or will any work?
What should I get for septic system?

So many questions....;(

2016 Forest River Sunseeker

Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

Here to help

Define what type of RV you have so we can all be more helpful. Additionally, what will your power source be?

There is no real manual, just a conglomeration of manuals for individual items like the microwave, fridge, etc. these can all be accessed online along with the “manual” for your rig.

Propane - fridge, furnace, water heater.

Air conditioner requires AC power or a generator

Beachbourbon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

If your trailer is FR you can download a manual from their website. These manuals are very generic and are only marginally helpful. You should be able to get manuals for the appliances from their manufacturers website. I would recommend staying in the trailer at home one night (camp driveway) before leaving for your trip. That way you can figure out the various systems in the trailer and determine what you will need. Be prepared to spend some additional $$ to outfit the RV. For the water filter, I use the camco inline water filter from Wal-Mart. I use the BioPak drop-ins for the black tank.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #4
Coach

Two monitors and a laptop shouldn't be an issue unless your plugged into the same circuit as a microwave or other large power draw. The only real way to learn what is on your circuits is to check it all out. As far as battery draws, anything electric that works when not plugged in to shore power runs off the battery. Your RV has a converter that will charge the battery and power those items when plugged in.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

2016 forestRiver Sunseeker. Will plug in at the rv park. I believe the RV park has mostly 50a spots and the RV is 30a, so do I need an adapter of some kind?
So even when plugged in we will still need propane for hot water, heat, and fridge?
Sorry, I’m sure I sound silly with such basic questions...
And thank you everyone for your responses and help
Hollyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

If you are going to be plugging in sensitive electronics then, yes, you want a Progressive EMS unit. At a bare minimum, you want:

20' of sewer hose
2 25' water hoses
Plug converters (dogbones)
2 25' extension cords
bucket

you really do want:

quality tires
air pressure gauge
Viair air compressor
generator(s) if boondocking
TPMS (TST 507)

I have forgotten some things. A more specific list can be developed if we know what your RV is
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V (2000 lb) Receiver

CurtPutnam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
2016 forestRiver Sunseeker. Will plug in at the rv park. I believe the RV park has mostly 50v spots and the RV is 30V, so do I need an adapter of some kind?
So even when plugged in we will still need propane for hot water, heat, and fridge?
Sorry, I’m sure I sound silly with such basic questions...
I think you mean 50 A and 30 A(amp) instead of 50v and 30v(volt)

And x2what @curtputnam posted
Beachbourbon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

As to what you need:
Newbie – First Trip Essentials | Learn To RV

As for learning the RV basics:
Newbies, Get Started Here | Learn To RV
Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
Retired May 2015

Do yourself a favor and check the date codes on your tires and sidewalls for weather checking, inflate to max psi printed on the sidewall. Personal opinion is that tires approaching 5 years need to be replaced no matter the thread depth. Unless you are confident the wheel bearings have been packed and inspected for peace of mind I would do it. This also gives you a look at the brakes and chance to adjust them. Donít short cut and just pump grease in the fittings if you have easy lube system. And while youíre at it take a good look at the suspension, shackles, u-bolts etc. canít be too careful. This is assuming you have a TT or 5er. Safe travels. DB.
PS if you donít do your own work find a reputable mobile tech or Utube has everything covered.
Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyse View Post
2016 forestRiver Sunseeker. Will plug in at the rv park. I believe the RV park has mostly 50v spots and the RV is 30V, so do I need an adapter of some kind?
Sorry, Iím sure I sound silly with such basic questions...
All you need is electricity for the fridge and water heater, though both will also run solely on propane, so long as you have battery power to ignite it.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags