Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Newbie screws up big time

I just purchased a 2017 avenger ATI, 17QB. As far as I’m concerned, Forest River has some explaining to do . One of the many brochures state that the GVWR is 3941 with a dry weight of 3214 and cargo capacity of 727 Lbs. The weight certification on the TT indicated a dry of 1489 KG and cargo of 142 KG, along with water of 124 KG. Once the conversions are done we find out the cargo capacity is 313 #. Subtracting a full propane tank and battery leaves us with 226 lbs of stuff we can put into the trailer. To some that may be a lot, however we have reached our limit without loading any provisions.

I know many would say that includes a full tank of water (273#), and nobody ever carries, or has a need to carry that much. Possibly true, however shouldn’t one expect to carry more than 226 pounds of stuff without the expense of water ? Why would Forest River even design a trailer like that ? In addition, there is no rear storage, all the storage is below and forward of the front bed. The weight of most of that storage (a good portion of the 226#) will be added to the hitch weight, and thus onto the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

I know in reality it’s a small trailer and I’m probably expecting too much. Regardless, I’m really disappointed in the trailer’s load capacity and not taking the time to understand everything involved. My guess by what I see on the road is that many do not. Of course out first trip is boon docking, so the amount of portable water is important. Shortly thereafter there will be a for sale advertisement in the locals.
gumbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah they're good at changing things up on the fly. They even put it in their brochure. Stinks and should not be allowed but it is. We carry full tanks all the time

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

I doubt you'll receive an abundance of sympathy here since most members spend many, many hours of research and pouring through forum comments before even a small purchase.

That being said, load the wagon and don't worry about it!

Now the weight police can chime in with the opposing view. :-)

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

I feel for you. Several years before we bought our 23IKSS, we were looking at hybrid travel trailers & had our heart set on a Jayco (can't recall the model). It was about a 17 footer, and we thought it was exactly what we wanted. And at the time, I had a Toyota minivan with what I thought was a 3,500 lb towing capacity, so we thought we could tow it. Well...our delay got postponed for several years for several reasons - bummer at at the time. The delay, however, forced us to take time to research "real" towing capacities (a lot of great info which came from this forum), and as part of that process, noticed a situation with our "chosen" camper similar to yours - there was VERY little cargo capacity in that thing. Look at it the wrong way and it would have been over the limits. In hindsight, the delay probably saved us a lot of heartache, frustration, and MONEY. :-(
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #5

Can you post a picture of the labels on the side of the trailer ? Something doesn't line up. I suspect FR cheaped out on the tires and reduced the payload like they did on my trailer. I have a 3500 lbs axle but the tires are only good for 3200 lbs. Not an issue in my case because the axle only carries 2600 lbs according to the scale.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

IMG_3989 resize.jpg

Here's a pix of the label. Sorry if it's too big, I had a hard time trying to figure out how to post it.

Also thanks to all who have chimed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3989 resize.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	172990  
Old 05-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Well it turns out my suspicion was wrong, the trailer has the correct tires for 3500 lbs axle load. Googled a bit and found a similar 17BH that is even worse with 251kg/553lbs of total cargo.
One minor inconsistency is that 1489+289=1778 and the bottom sticker says GVWR 1788 kg, so yay you can load 10 kg/22 lbs more....
Sorry there is no good solution. If possible weigh the whole rig and see what the actual trailer axle load is when loaded with everything. Worst case you might need to travel with little water and fill up close to or at the destination.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Most people have no idea what their carrying capacity of their trailer is....especially if they want to carry fresh water.

You didn't make a rookie mistake. You'd have to look long and hard to find a rig with enough gross vehicle weight that allows you to carry your possessions and water. It's not just Forest River.

Sales people look at you like you're crazy when you ask to see the weight carrying capacity of a trailer/rig. Apparently people don't ask that question and only find out after they buy the rig. That's why you see a lot of the tow trucks/suvs loaded with possessions.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #9

X2. The dealers mostly either don’t know...or worse don’t care.

I was recently retro fitting an a/c system with R407C as a replacement for R-22. I asked the guy for some retrofit labels...he looked at me like I was crazy and said “no one has ever asked for those?” I said thanks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #10

Happy to find out I have the appropriate tires and 22 extra pounds. When we were shopping for a TT we had a lot of boxes to check. Unfortunately this one checked ALL the boxes so we took it not paying that much attention to the weights. It couldn't be that bad...Right ?

Hey Slowride not looking for sympathy just others with stories like mine and maybe an understanding of why and how could they. But HEY...so far no weight police have posted, just the opposite. Look forward to more posts. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Not much else to say from the weight police imo... you tried to do your part and fr changed things around. It will definitely add to the challenge for packing with only a few hundred pounds of capacity but be smart and you'll make it work... you'll just have to leave the extra kitchen sink at home!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-22-2018, 08:53 PM   #12

The world does not end if your are overloaded a little bit no matter what anyone says. Maximum weights are guidelines only, are not legally binding, and if you have an accident the insurance will still pay.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #13

3 TT's 4 trucks later we got it right live and learn
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #14

As far as I'm concerned the weights are just a guide to keep you honest.

You're not gonna break anything going over by a couple hundred pounds as long as you keep it in the sweet spot of the camper, around the axles and you've got a proper DIESEL tow vehicle.

vmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The world does not end if your are overloaded a little bit no matter what anyone says. Maximum weights are guidelines only, are not legally binding, and if you have an accident the insurance will still pay.
Just a point of order,not a challenge. Weights are legally binding, being over can have monetary consequences in the form of tickets if discovered. It would be very unlikely that it would be found but do not want bad information passed along.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #16

Trailer Load Capacity

I added shelves to several very wide open cabinets in my 32' trailer. Later, a FR employee told me they didn't put shelves in the cabinets because it allowed the owners to put more weight in the trailer and exceed the load capacity. Perhaps that's why my springs had to be replaced at 3 years??? And when I boondock, I leave home with a full tank of fresh water. Then, also, my forward full width storage compartment carries jacks, hoses, tools and all basic requirement for towing and fixing minor problems. Lots more weight, but I've never weighed it.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #17

Dry weight includes propane, does not include water or battery.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #18

We could never use all of nearly 3500# of cargo capacity we have! Not even with my wife's US made cast iron pot/pan collection.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #19

With 2 3500# axles under mine I'm rolling down the road almost exactly 1000# UNDER capacity. That's based on actual scale weight.

I'd suggest getting to a scale after the trailer is loaded. Some of the weight carried is tongue weight and the posted tongue weights are only an estimate.

I have 300# extra tongue weight when loaded with all my gear than what the brochure stated. Total on axles is 5988# and that's with a full tank of water, two group 29 batteries, and several hundred pounds of "Hobby Gear" on top of provisions, clothes, etc.

I know I'm talking about a different trailer but FR doesn't always get it wrong.

Something I read on another RV Forum years ago:

"People buy an RV so they can get away from it all. Then they load everything in the RV and take it all with them".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
With 2 3500# axles under mine I'm rolling down the road almost exactly 1000# UNDER capacity. That's based on actual scale weight.

I'd suggest getting to a scale after the trailer is loaded. Some of the weight carried is tongue weight and the posted tongue weights are only an estimate.

I have 300# extra tongue weight when loaded with all my gear than what the brochure stated. Total on axles is 5988# and that's with a full tank of water, two group 29 batteries, and several hundred pounds of "Hobby Gear" on top of provisions, clothes, etc.

I know I'm talking about a different trailer but FR doesn't always get it wrong.

Something I read on another RV Forum years ago:

"People buy an RV so they can get away from it all. Then they load everything in the RV and take it all with them".
Amen to that.. It amazes me the crap people will cart along with them on "camping" trips. I mean I usually bring my stove and an extra sink just in case.... Over the last 10 years we have thinned down to just the required items.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags