Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer

Same here. I can't easily get past my slide without running it out a little. Or, I have to step on the unsupported floor.

I have, however, thought about a long stick to push the button. But instead- I just leave the fridge on. :-)

Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #12

It's funny someone said this was a "great debate" because I posed the question on Facebook(I have a few friends with rv's on there) and sparked(no pun intended) a HUGE debate). It is a 2010 Salem Cruise Lite and the fridge has the auto button to switch over. If it has the auto button, does that mean there is no pilot light? Btw, thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #13

So what is the concern here? The pilot light or the propane tanks themselves? If it a pretty small trailer so all I have to do is open the door, step in maybe 2-3 steps and push the button to off.

Ditto on keeping the beer cold! Lol...that is one main concern and I don't want the meat to turn brown.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #14

Ok, so we took our trip and decided to leave the gas on but it didn't work. What did work was when we hooked into the truck it ave power to the fridge and kept the food cold(and the beer). So I am even more confused now because as soon as we disconnected, it didn't switch to gas even though the gas lines were open and the fridge was on auto. Am I missing something here?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Ok, so we took our trip and decided to leave the gas on but it didn't work. What did work was when we hooked into the truck it ave power to the fridge and kept the food cold(and the beer). So I am even more confused now because as soon as we disconnected, it didn't switch to gas even though the gas lines were open and the fridge was on auto. Am I missing something here?
Your expectation is the same as mine- when the fridge is on "auto", when my camper is just sitting and not plugged in I expect the LP + battery to keep the fridge cold. When I plug into shore power, I expect the fridge to switch to 120v and continue working. And, that's how mine works. I don't have to do anything when I change power sources.

The concern is the spark may ignite fumes from the gasoline while filling your fuel tank (or the person on the other side of the pump filling theirs) and ignite them.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Might be worth checking the owners manual on the fridge. If your fridge is cold with the truck plugged in, it sounds like a 3-way operation (110V electric, 12V electric, LP). If that is the case, run it on 12V while traveling and avoid the issue of using propane while driving. We had this type for years, but it used a pilot light that had to be manually lit for it to cool on propane.These type of fridges are common in popups and smaller tt's.

As you get into the larger models, the only operation modes are 110V or LP. Then you either turn it off or run propane while driving, and the auto mode controls everything. This is how our new fridge is setup. Dealer said to run it on LP while driving, so we do but it still seems wierd after years of always shutting the tank valves before driving off.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #17

Have you run the stove or some other gas appliance near the fridge to ensure no air is in the lines? I had issues with that once where the fridge would try to start 3 times and then would go into fault. Had to purge the lines to get it going.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #18

Yes. We ran the heater while camping at the beach. And the hot water heater came on too.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #19

When we first bought it, I remember seeing the gas light on when it wasn't plugged in, now no light is on.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #20

And we used the stove.