Old 08-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #21

Does the pilot light only control the fridge? Or everything?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #22

Each equipment using propane has its own pilot light or has electric or piezo ignition.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Ok, so we took our trip and decided to leave the gas on but it didn't work. What did work was when we hooked into the truck it ave power to the fridge and kept the food cold(and the beer). So I am even more confused now because as soon as we disconnected, it didn't switch to gas even though the gas lines were open and the fridge was on auto. Am I missing something here?
I think you said you have a 2010 Salem Cruise Lite and I would guess that this trailer has a Dometic fridge (probably a DM2652. Can you confirm that?) I doubt if you have a three-way, but let us know.

Assuming it is the 2652, then I would do a couple of things to diagnose the issue of it not switching to gas automatically.

First of all, it sounds like it worked connected to the truck but not when disconnected. Do you have a fully charged battery on the trailer? Your fridge needs 12volt power to operate with gas (as mentioned earlier).

Assuming you have a good battery, make sure that you are using the auto button correctly. You probably are, but just to make sure ...

To allow the fridge to choose between AC or Gas:

• On/Off button is depressed to "on"
  • Gas button needs to be pushed in.
  • The "auto" light will light up and it will choose AC first and then gas if AC is unavailable.
  • If 120 volts AC is not available, the control system will automatically switch to GAS operation. Within 45 seconds the burner should be ignited and operating normally. If unsuccessful, the CHECK indicator lamp will illuminate.

If you wanted gas only and not AC:

• On/off button is depressed to "on"
  • Gas button needs to be out.
  • The "auto" light will not light up.
  • If the CHECK indicator lamp is illuminated the controls have failed to ignite the burner.

Here is the manual for that fridge - Dometic User Guide (DM2652)

LP Supply - simply light three or four burners on the range and visually "guestimate" whether the LP pressure is good by seeing if the range burner flames look good and do not decrease in size when all burners are lit. You should also try to remove the air in the lines heading to the fridge by switching the refrigerator on and off 3-4 times.

If gas is good, then there are more items such as checking the thermocouple and other items. I am sure someone here can help walk you through that process, but you might want to get a service tech doing this unless you feel comfortable with getting into the guts of the fridge.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #24

Triguy....you just figured it out for me. Our battery is dead so that must be why it isn't working. I didn't realize it needed both. We were not properly trained on deep cell batteries when we first bought it so during its first winter. I never plugged it in so the battery died. I haven't had the chance to get a new one yet. Every place we have camped has hook-ups. The mystery has been solved. Thank you so much. See, I said "newbie" and I meant it. Still a lot to learn about this rig.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I'm so glad you found the problem

See if you can get a new battery installed especially if you are towing the trailer. Besides the fridge, the trailer brakes need a working battery for the emergency brakes.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #26

Refrig question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
We have had our camper since 2011 but have never travelled a long distance before. Tomorrow we leave and I was wondering....is it okay to travel with the gas turned on to keep the fridge cold? My husband feels this is not safe. Any comments appreciated. We will be on the road for about 5-6 hours and want our food to stay cold. Thanks.
I have had a RV for many years and have always turned the refrig gas on and run on propane while towing. Never gave any thought and have never had any issues , never turned it off while fueling my diesel, may not be the right thing to do but has worked for me.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1 View Post

I have had a RV for many years and have always turned the refrig gas on and run on propane while towing. Never gave any thought and have never had any issues , never turned it off while fueling my diesel, may not be the right thing to do but has worked for me.
X2. There are opinions galore here on that. But my professional opinion is that there are some additional risks with leaving the propane on, but they are pretty miniscule. In the event of a catastrophic crash where the actual gas pipes or hoses are severed, there will be a low pressure loss of propane, which if ignited, would burn like a torch. If you keep the gas off, then it would take an actual tank breach to release propane, which is way more unlikely.

If such a thing happens to me,then I figure that I am screwed either way. If the TV survives the crash (I have a fifth wheel) then either way, I am likely to be unaffected by the cataclysm. In a motorhome, that is a different story, in that case you are sitting on the tank, in essence, and you may be part of the torch.