Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #1

Newbie...sort of...

We have had our camper since 2011 but have never travelled a long distance before. Tomorrow we leave and I was wondering....is it okay to travel with the gas turned on to keep the fridge cold? My husband feels this is not safe. Any comments appreciated. We will be on the road for about 5-6 hours and want our food to stay cold. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #2

Yes, it's ok. Many people do the same. One thing to remember, if you stop for gas, it's probably good to turn the propane off before you pull up to the pump. Then turn it back on after you pull away from the pump.

2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

It's the pilot light that is of most concern for folks when fueling up. With diesels, there's much less risk. I think problems at gas stations with the fridge on is a very unlikely scenario- but depending on your floorplan, it usually only takes a moment to turn off the fridge.

I will tell you- this is one of those great debates. Those against it are extremely against it. Those for it are adamant they've never had a problem and have never heard of real life incidents.

For what's its worth- I travel with mine on and have never looked back.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It's the pilot light that is of most concern for folks when fueling up. With diesels, there's much less risk. I think problems at gas stations with the fridge on is a very unlikely scenario- but depending on your floorplan, it usually only takes a moment to turn off the fridge...
On refrigerators with DSI, there is no pilot light, the gas comes on and the DSI sparks to ignite the burner.

It is easy to just turn the refrigerator off before you enter the station and back on after you leave if you are concerned.

Gas fumes are much heavier than air and sink to the ground. Chances of ignition are probably astronomical, but some people elect to turn the frigs off and there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

We've always left ours on.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks for the clarification, OC.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for the clarification, OC.
The older refrigerators did have a pilot light that burned constantly. We usually had to put a baffle on them to keep them from being blown out while towing. Built several baffles over the years until we got the DSI type. Love the DSI.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #7

Another vote here for letting the fridge run while driving... I also second the concept of shutting off the fridge BEFORE entering the fueling area and turning it back on AFTER. As Ependydad stated it is highly unlikely that something would happen but it could... I know when I first got started this never occurred to me and we fueled on a number of occasions with the fridge on... As I'm sure a number of campers have... but it's not worth the risk...

Definitely want to keep the beer cold for setting up camp!!!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

I keep the fridge on only turn off for the tunnels when required and if I have to get fuel. X2 on keeping the 12 oz cans cold
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

If we are traveling less than six hours or so, we just leave it off.
Fridge stays coolr for that long.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

It is easy to just turn the refrigerator off before you enter the station and back on after you leave if you are concerned.
It's not always easy to turn off. With my main slide in, I cannot pass the dinette to get to the switch on the fridge. Even if I was half my size it would be a monumental challenge.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote