Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 10:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I don’t know about Goshen, but out here in California $15/hr is minimum wage that doesn’t even give you enough to pay rent. McDonald’s pays $15/hour.
Cost of living is a far different thing in middle America. Not sure what land costs in your neck of the country, but here's a current listing: Goshen, Elkhart County, North, IN Land For Sale - 1.24 Acres - Price: $57,500. From what I hear, $57k in California buys you a small closet.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Cost of living is a far different thing in middle America. Not sure what land costs in your neck of the country, but here's a current listing: Goshen, Elkhart County, North, IN Land For Sale - 1.24 Acres - Price: $57,500. From what I hear, $57k in California buys you a small closet.
You can buy land for that here, but it will be useless desert or the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. Average rent is $1,550.00, modest single family homes rent for $2,500 +. Rooms rent for $1,000.00. Average homes sell for $700,000+
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #23

Scary put into perspective and made fun

We are so glad we didn’t get scared by all the negativity you can easily find on the internet. Friends, coworkers, family and acquaintances were all so positive and happy to share their experiences or just encourage us if they had none.

We moved forward with that positive energy and knowing there is nothing we can’t handle. So we decided to go live life, specifically the RV life!

To be continued...
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #24

My father taught me when I was young:

"There's nothing made by man that can't be understood and repaired. But sometimes, the repairs aren't worth the effort."

Granted, that was before integrated circuits and 3D printing. But for the most part, it still holds true. Manufactured items are simpler than we think. More important than the actual technology is the positive attitude in the statement.

The PUPs and A-frames I have owned are "toys", things that are supposed to bring pleasure in my life. They are not necessary to my existence. They are made by man to relatively simple designs, so fixing and improving them is not rocket science.

So my question to self before undertaking an improvement or adding a piece of gear should be, "Will this add to our enjoyment of the camping we do?"

So mods which we do and don't do are:
- install 2 GC-2 batteries, a battery cut-off switch, a voltmeter by the door, and replace stock the WFCO converter/panel with a PD. Total cost about $500. But 12V is bullet-proof for up to 4 nights down to high 20s. 4 nights is all we dry camp in one spot due to water, fridge space, etc.
- don't bother with a generator or solar. No generator fuel to carry or mess with, no solar panels to position and watch over in the wind. Use preferred well-shaded campsites, sites with electric when forecast day temps >90
- keep the China bombs as they have plenty of reserve on the A-frames. Have tires balanced. Visually check tires before each trip. Hand pack bearings, adjust brakes after purchase and then every 3 years.
- no TPMS, just inflate tires to sidewall air pressure +0-3PSI depending on planned altitude and forecast temps
- install mattress topper on bed
- carry minimal set of cooking gear, quality paper plates and bowls, quality plastic silverware
- cook and wash dishes at picnic table using 2 tub method. Use 1lb propane for 2 burner camp stove and/or Weber 100 grill. Hot water for washing from outside shower or heat on stove.
- no awning due awkward fit on A-frame, frequent high winds in Colorado and adjacent states. Sturdy shelter for picnic table.
- buy A-frame camper for easy setup/take down, storage in garage. Storage in garage minimizes UV and hail damage to camper, encourages spur of the moment weekend trips.
- add E2 WDH/anti-sway for comfortable towing with minivan. Minivan makes comfortable vehicle for touristing while camping.
- permanently mount calibrated bubble level on front of camper. Use level to select number of Leveler Blocks (orange Legos) to back low tire on to.
- improve fridge performance so no spoiled food.

keeping it simple and fun
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundia Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags