Old 12-14-2018, 11:56 PM   #1

Newbie tales

Hi everyone,

Iím starting this thread for me and all newbies to capture their thoughts and experiences in order to help othe new RVers.

Iíll start by saying Iíve never been an RVer and no one in my family has ever been an RVer. In fact, I never even considered being an RVer, except when daydreaming about traveling the country after retirement. Then about two years ago my wife and I were talking about a family trip we were planning to go across the country. We were going to take four or more weeks and weíre discussing staying with family (not our favorite) and the cost of staying in hotels (most of the trip) when my wife says out of the blue, ďwe could get an RV and stay in that.Ē Well her grandparents had RVs, so she had some childhood memories, so I guess thatís where she got it.

At this point, it is all about math and finance for me, so Iím doing calculations. I start thinking, itís not a bad idea to spend $ on an RV that is an asset instead of renting hotel rooms. We were already avid tent campers, so it didnít seem like a big stretch. So two years ago we began researching this idea....to be continued

Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Not a newbie

The thing I like about an RV the most is having my own bed and bathroom wherever I go.

A close second is not having to schlep all the luggage in to a bedbug infested motel.

In the long run, unless you're full timing or on an extended trip, you're not going to save much money. It's convenience and cleanliness.

Johnfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:04 AM   #3
Not a newbie

I also hate staying at people's houses.
Johnfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #4
Road Trippin

I have gone through various RVs and trailers in my life, as long as I can physically and financially take care of it...I will always have one.

I am not a full timer but take mini trips at least once a month. I really enjoy having my own place where ever I go. My wife and I will often take the RV to various events and always have a place to excape the crowds and still be in the mix. Its wonderful to have your own bathrom, bed, and a frig to keep your food and drinks ready as well as a nice couch to relax on.

RVs can be a lot of work, they can be expensive to keep...but for us, worth every penny.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

So not so much a Newbie tail as how we came about to own our 5er. We were avid horseman and trail riders for years. Our horse trailer has full living quarters but small.
Great for a weekend of trail riding but not for a week at the county fair (which we did for over 10 years as 4H leaders) or camping; so about 5 years ago the DW said she didn't want to spend another blazing hot week of fair in the horse trailer. We went shopping. We bought our 5er with limited knowledge and two weeks before the county fair. I will say we are very lucky as we have had a great 5 years with limited problems. Thanks to General Trailer in Mt. Clemens, Mi for not taking advantage of us. Of course now we have to get both trailers to trail rides because now DW wont sleep in the horse trailer even for a weekend which spurred on the need for a second dually. The old 3/4 just couldn't handle the work anymore. We now are looking for our retirement home, which if I get my way will be 40 foot with 5 slides.
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Hi everyone,

Iím starting this thread for me and all newbies to capture their thoughts and experiences in order to help othe new RVers.

Iíll start by saying Iíve never been an RVer and no one in my family has ever been an RVer. In fact, I never even considered being an RVer, except when daydreaming about traveling the country after retirement. Then about two years ago my wife and I were talking about a family trip we were planning to go across the country. We were going to take four or more weeks and weíre discussing staying with family (not our favorite) and the cost of staying in hotels (most of the trip) when my wife says out of the blue, ďwe could get an RV and stay in that.Ē Well her grandparents had RVs, so she had some childhood memories, so I guess thatís where she got it.

At this point, it is all about math and finance for me, so Iím doing calculations. I start thinking, itís not a bad idea to spend $ on an RV that is an asset instead of renting hotel rooms. We were already avid tent campers, so it didnít seem like a big stretch. So two years ago we began researching this idea....to be continued
We were looking at class A, Class C and travel trailers at first. Since we had a TV, we ultimately ruled out all but the travel trailer. Once we focused on travel trailers, we quickly decided on a bunkhouse. But we did not want a slide out dut to maintenance and potential issues. It only to one RV show for my wife to put a slide out at the TOP of the list...to be continued
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #7

We moved from a tent to a pup. Then as the kids got bigger, it always seemed we camped in the rain, stuck inside most of the time with our 3 and an extra friend or family member was kinda killing the fun. And it seemed to be set up at home more than camping so it could dry out after a weekend. So we decided to look for something bigger. We were looking at used rigs but we were not finding anything DW liked or that I felt safe towing. Then we were on our way home after a disappointing day of looking at trailers we did not like and it was getting late when our youngest says " That place looks open" so we stop and they will be closing in 15 minutes, well you know how that goes. We tell the salesman that we are looking to trade in a pup for something a little bigger. He said we have 1 bunkhouse with a slide from last years model on the lot, let's go look at it. Well we walk in and the DW looks in the living / dining area and said "You can play twister in here on a rainy day." Then she looks around, 4 bunks in the back with big outside storage, master bedroom in front, sofa, dinner table, extra table for dining room, bbq for outside, kitchen, she was sold. We were there for an hour and a half after closing to do the deal. Hauled that thing around the west coast and was great. It was a SOB and we traded it in on the Prime Time 2 years ago as the kids are adults now and don't camp with us as much anymore but we have room for one or two at a time if they want to come and hang out. Best family memories camping in the woods.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:09 AM   #8

We decided to buy a used tt knew what we could tow. The dealer weighed the tongue, it wasnít the usual 10% of the tt weight so was unsafe for us to pull. They let us pick out a new one at their cost. Our vacation was a few days ahead. We love the Hershey RV show so 8 months later we find a 5 th I could wait for DH say no letís get it. We found out what type of truck weíd need to tow it and found a gorgeous used one to pull it around. Then hubby started talking about an A. We looked at several used ones. Most too old for my liking. Then we found a 06 that would do a diesel pusher. A few days later another A came in on consignment. A 2011 Forest River Berkshire 390rb 360 hp, well cared for. We switched our deal to it 19k on the odometer and 150hrs on the generator. Sheís been ours for 20 months and we just love her. Buffy has a bath and a half stack w/d, carries and sleeps 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	193118  
omahagirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

Nice looking camper, it seems yíall got a very good deal.
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Momma Camps Often

Bring Your Own House visiting relatives during the Holidays

We have been camping for 30 years, RVing for nearly 20 of those.

We tent camped with the kids as babies and toddlers then bought our first camper when our kids were very small because it made it a LOT EASIER to visit relatives across the state and elsewhere, especially during the Holidays!! We have a large family and everyone wants you to stay with them, so it would be a night or two here, the next night there....a total pain to pack and unpack all that kid gear and get young ones acclimated to a new environment every couple of days.

When we started "bringing our house with us" it allowed us to have an awesome base camp with our own beds and bathroom, the flexibility to visit everyone "on the list" without committing to staying with them, and before long, we ended up hosting the holiday dinners at our campsites (our choice), which became a wonderful tradition that we still do occasionally now, even though our kids are grown and on their own.

2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags