Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Question Newbie Trip Planning Best Tips

I am new to RVing, and are planning to take baby steps with local trips, then progress into longer trips at destinations further away.

What do you recommend for best tips on how to go about planning trips in an RV?

Do you use certain directories or programs or websites to search for locations and then see what nightly costs are to pick lower-cost ones than higher cost ones if all are within a close range?

How do you map your route, with destinations each day, and what campgrounds/RV Sites you are going to stay at?

And weather-wise, I hear you go South for the winter months and you go North for the summer month. I assume for fall and spring months you can go in the Midwest areas?

Do you set out on a trip, and check the weather since that can change, then change routes if there is a looming problem?

And how far in advance do you need to reserve sites and can you cancel if you have to change your plans because of unforeseen weather or circumstances?

Any advice is most appreciated!

Thanks,
B. Swanson
bswanson0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanson0 View Post
What do you recommend for best tips on how to go about planning trips in an RV?

Do you use certain directories or programs or websites to search for locations and then see what nightly costs are to pick lower-cost ones than higher cost ones if all are within a close range?

How do you map your route, with destinations each day, and what campgrounds/RV Sites you are going to stay at?
A lot is going to depend on your camping style; whether or not you use your camper as a place to sleep or a place to live; whether or not you stay in camp during the day, or go out and sightsee; whether or not you bring toys to play with (boats, 4 wheelers, bicycles), or visit museums and tourist sites; whether or not you stay in one place for a week or more, or pick up and move every other day.

For us, we generally avoid RV parks and use state and national parks. We cook, eat, clean, and lounge at or around the picnic table; our A-frame is a deluxe bedroom. We generally use campground restrooms and showers. We rarely stay more than 4 days in one place. We like trees, both in our campsite and around us.

Planning starts with selecting a destination(s). A destination could be a particular park or an area where we want to sightsee. Once a destination campground is selected:
  • Check distance to travel to get there and type of roads. Google Maps is an easy check for travel time (allow 15% more for towing a trailer). Depending on days available for trip and whether or not we have reservations, I will consider drive distances up to 550 miles. For a long weekend trip, I don't like to go more than 4 hours. We also don't like driving 2 days in a row unless it's just the 2 of us, and both days are less than 3 hours.
  • Check ratings on various web sites
  • Amenities (clean, flush toilets are DW's preference). DW also prefers electric but it only really matters if we need A/C.
  • Out West, I check water availability (a holdover from my backpacking and Boy Scout leader days when water and toilet planning were critical).
  • I often check for shade with photos or overhead views from Google.
  • If I still like the campground, and if available I make reservations. If no reservations are available, and likelihood of an unreserved site is slim, move on to another campground nearby.
Quote:
And weather-wise, I hear you go South for the winter months and you go North for the summer month. I assume for fall and spring months you can go in the Midwest areas?

Do you set out on a trip, and check the weather since that can change, then change routes if there is a looming problem?
Since we live outside, we don't like to camp in temps in the 90s. The exception is when we are using the A-frame as a hotel while we pursue indoor activities in an area. For those trips, electric (for A/C) and reservations (for electric) are mandatory.

We also avoid camping in the snow since we have a minivan as a tow vehicle. And temps with lows in the 20s. While we are equipped to deal with the cold, it's not a lot of fun for DW when it's 30-40 outside during the day.

Being in Colorado, we carefully watch the weather both at destination and home, and will cancel a trip if the forecast weather makes traveling safety iffy. Spring and Fall are our preferred camping seasons nation-wide.

Quote:
And how far in advance do you need to reserve sites and can you cancel if you have to change your plans because of unforeseen weather or circumstances?
Maximum advance time for reservations varies considerably from state to state and from park to park (for state parks). Federal is generally one year max, with most dry (no electric or water) campgrounds not taking any reservations. Most of the reservation web sites have a $10 cancellation fee, but you may have to cancel as much as a week in advance of arrival. Check policy before you reserve.

We have had very good luck with showing up without reservations on summer weekends. However, chances are good our choices will be the least desirable site or a no electric campground.

just our experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #3

Great ideas, thanks so much.

Is there a place on this forum where members may have posted their trip maps? Just thinking if they took a trip already and had plotted it out with the destination and the stops, that we could see those and possibly tag along virtually and make modifications as needed for our own trip to the same destination.

Thank you.
bswanson0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Great ideas, thanks so much.

Is there a place on this forum where members may have posted their trip maps? Just thinking if they took a trip already and had plotted it out with the destination and the stops, that we could see those and possibly tag along virtually and make modifications as needed for our own trip to the same destination.

Thank you.
Where do you live? What kind of trip and camping are you thinking about? Some longer trips we have done - starting from Colorado Springs:

11 days/9 days camping at Lake Waco, Texas. Point of trip was to visit daughter at Baylor, spend time touring attractions near Waco. Camped at COE campground on Lake Waco, where we had been before. 2 day trip from Colorado Springs, so stopped overnight at Palo Duro State Park (near Amarillo) on the way and Copper Breaks State Park (between Wichita Falls and Amarillo) on the return. 6-7 hours from Colorado Springs to Amarillo, and about the same from Amarillo to Waco.

4 day trip to Custer State Park, SD. Stayed at Stockade Lake North campground in the park. The Stockade and Sylvan Lake campgrounds are our favorites. Purpose of trip was to visit attractions in Black Hills area. Visited Mt Rushmore - both day and night, Crazy Horse Monument and museum, wildlife tour (2 mornings) in southern end of Custer SP, etc. 6 hour drive from Colorado Springs

9 day trip to Utah 5 National Parks. Cut short by medical emergency back home. Scheduled trip too tightly, with breaking camp every day. Eliminated Canyonlands and Grand Canyon from itinerary. Camped at Deadhorse SP, Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, and then called home. Never made Zion or Bryce Canyon NP. Learned to spend at least one day in each park after arrival.

4 day trip (Labor Day weekend) to Ridgway SP Colorado. 7 hrs fm Colorado Springs. Went to Telluride Film Festival on Saturday and Ouray hot springs in evening. Decided to leave on Sunday vs Monday, because we had had a good trip, and thought it was time to quit while we were ahead.

Fred W
Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

I don’t plan trips that we take, only make reservations for a destination if it’s real popular. I use rvparky and rvparksandcampgrounds. If someone wants to tag along it will have to be later, we like to do our on things.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Multi-Slacker

For us, we first decide where we want to go. Then we decide where we would like to stay. Then, if there are choices, we decide on the route. Part of the process is determining daily range, which for us is 200 - 300 miles (4 - 6 hrs driving time.)

It becomes an iterative process. Ours is a large rig so we like to stay on pavement, which means that we prefer defined campgrounds with at least water & electric service. If we cannot get reservations, we then adjust either route or range/destination.

Once the routing is done (via Google maps) then we begin the hunt for fuel stops. Since my wife is not comfortable with just winging it, we locate likely places (using a variety of apps) and then Google's street view to ensure adequate access.

Just completed the routing and reservation process for our spring trip; five stops and about 1700 miles and about 21 +- hrs driving. Now begins the process of finding fuel stops.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Is there a place on this forum where members may have posted their trip maps?
Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of, but that's a good idea.

There are some Youtube videos by people who document their trips, but most of them are full timers.

Your idea of trips to nearby places is a good one. It will help you determine what kind of camping you like, what type of campsites you like, how far is comfortable to travel in a single day, etc.

There is no 'one size fits all' approach to camping. You'll need to take all the advice you get and customize it so that you have fun.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #8

I do all the driving and all the planning, normally I drive four hundred miles a day, sometimes more occasionally less. DW just rides, she is my navigator finding the campsites. We always stay at full hookups, I have a 36gal fuel tank plus a 100gal auxiliary tank so I never look for fuel when I’m on the road. I have GasBuddy, I look for diesel when we are stopped for the night. I normally start looking for a campsite for that night at whatever we eat lunch at. It’s different for everyone, you have to plan what’s right for you.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

I would try to define what you and yours want from a trip first. Just relaxing? Sightseeing? A specific destination? Fishing? Photography? Then how far is it from where you are? How long are you planning on being out? Like SPOCK123 says in #5, go and do. One thing we have always done, keep some kind of a daily trip log. Was this days travel nice, tiring because of the road conditions etc. Also a record of the campground, site #, after you get setup, take a walk around the campground and note any other other site you might like to use next time. Just remember, enjoy!!!
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 PM   #10

We're starting our 2nd year RV'ing, so these are a few things I've learned so far...

• Your friends who also RV with you won't necessarily like the same things you like, and vice versa. No big deal. It's camping, as we say in our group. DW and I kinda like the "spur of the moment", "play the hand we're dealt" adventure, where some of our friends have to go scope out campsites and know exactly what they're getting into before they make a reservation.
  • We always go for state and national parks. Corps of Engineers parks (COE) are the best! Have not tried out any privately owned RV parks yet.
  • RV Parky is awesome. I have heard of others as well, but when I found RV Parky, I forgot about the rest.
  • Learn your way around ReserveAmerica.com and Recreation.gov. Be proficient at it... sometimes you only have seconds to make a reservation before that awesome (or only) spot you found disappears on the dates you need. As far as how far out can you reserve, most of what I have seen is 6 months ahead (actually, 180 days I think)... the popular places can/will fill up as soon as the reservation period opens... Again... be proficient in using ReserveAmerica.com and Recreation.gov...
  • If the weather scares you off... you can usually cancel within 24 hours, sometimes a week, and only lose the reservation fee (usually about $5 or $10)
  • A good fan for outside under your awning will keep the skeeters away.
  • Bug-A-Salt's are great fun!
  • Full Hookups (FHU) are nice, but not a necessity. We have a Fresh Water tank, and we're not afraid to use it.
  • Pack your RV and have it ready to go the day before you leave for your trip if you can.
  • DW is "Dear Wife", DH is "Dear Husband", HWH is hot water heater, FW is "Fresh water", etc.
  • Everything tastes better when you cook it outside.
  • Don't worry about leaving your chairs or cooler outside. 99% chance it will still be there when you return.
  • Keep your shower short.
  • RV Parky is awesome if I didn't say it already.
We're getting ready to take our first "BIG" trip, going to New Orleans for a few days, then over to Pensicola, FL for a few more coming up the end of May. I'm sure we'll learn more on that trip, and I can't wait to go!

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

Ditto on what type of campground appeals to you. Some people like a lot of amenities and activities. With that comes a cost. Usually, public campgrounds cost less, have fewer amenities and are more isolated. Along with that there are larger campsites, more peace and quiet and often more scenic areas as far as nature is concerned. Other factors to consider are how much time you have and what you want to see. If you plan on visiting the National parks, I would advise you stay in the park. There is so much to do within the NPs so you dont need to spend your time driving to and fro or waiting in line to get in. You can get a jump on the day and crowds by staying in the parks. Don't try and see everything in one trip. Take your time and be flexible. We tend to drive 200 to 300 miles a day if we are on a long trip, which we are now, so we are not exhausted when we get to our campsite. Our destination is Yosemite NP and we have had reservations there for nearly 6 mos. Always reserve the NPs as far in advance as you possibly can. The rest of our camping is booked on the fly. We try to arrive during the week and leave the option of staying longer if we like a place, open. Since we are retired we have the time, 3 months this trip, to stay longer. Try not to ever arrive at a campground after dark. Tempers flare and it is difficult to see setting up. If you are doing any long and/or far trips, I would advise that you get a smart phone if you dont already have one and an unlimited plan if only for the time you are away. We use Verizon only because we found that they have service in more places. This is our third xcountry trip in 4 years. It is important to follow the weather so you know what to expect. Since we prefer public campgrounds, the only app that we use is UC(Ultimate Campgrounds) Public Campgrounds. It includes NPs, NFs, BLM, COE, Rec areas SPs and others. It has not steered us wrong. You will find what works for you. Happy Camping. Relax and enjoy the journey.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #12

When we started camping more than 45 years ago, we had a short Chevy Surfer Van with portholes in the back, a CB Radio, no A/C, and 4-inch thick foam covered with green shag carpeting in the back. A giant bean-bag chair served as our passenger seat. That was our "bedroom" for several years. All cooking was done outdoors in all kinds of weather.

We now have a luxury 35-foot fifth wheel with all the amenities of home. We now try to stay at RV parks with full hookups, but often dry camp for 2-3 days in between stops at RV parks.

What we have learned is that you have to try nearly everything at least once to find out what works best for you and your family. Starting with short trips near home is an excellent idea.

We always rely on the Camping World Road Atlas to locate RV parks that are near sites we want to visit, such as National Parks and Monuments. The Good Sam RV
Travel and Savings guide is also a valuable resource. The guide gives you a rating system for every listed RV park and campsite on a 10-point scale for 3 separate categories. We rarely stop at sites that aren't rated at least 7's or 8's, and many of the more memorable ones are 10's all around. The highest rated sites are not always the most expensive.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
Back On The Go

There is lots of good advice here, the best being that everyone does it differently - you will fine tune your way of doing it with a little experience. I didn't see anyone add this campground website, which I rely on a lot as it is based on actual camper reviews (mostly of course). Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
I didn't see anyone add this campground website, which I rely on a lot as it is based on actual camper reviews (mostly of course). Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
I use the site a lot also. Unfortunately, too few of the reviews are from PUP, A-frame, small trailer, or even tent owners. Things that are often important to a fulltime motorhome couple aren't as important to us, and vice-versa. And reviews of public campgrounds tend to have only one review in the past year, the rest were years ago. Public campgrounds tend to change more with time than private RV parks. Still, it's far better than no review at all.

just my experiences
Fred W
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
We're starting our 2nd year RV'ing, so these are a few things I've learned so far...

• Your friends who also RV with you won't necessarily like the same things you like, and vice versa. No big deal. It's camping, as we say in our group. DW and I kinda like the "spur of the moment", "play the hand we're dealt" adventure, where some of our friends have to go scope out campsites and know exactly what they're getting into before they make a reservation.
  • We always go for state and national parks. Corps of Engineers parks (COE) are the best! Have not tried out any privately owned RV parks yet.
  • RV Parky is awesome. I have heard of others as well, but when I found RV Parky, I forgot about the rest.
  • Learn your way around ReserveAmerica.com and Recreation.gov. Be proficient at it... sometimes you only have seconds to make a reservation before that awesome (or only) spot you found disappears on the dates you need. As far as how far out can you reserve, most of what I have seen is 6 months ahead (actually, 180 days I think)... the popular places can/will fill up as soon as the reservation period opens... Again... be proficient in using ReserveAmerica.com and Recreation.gov...
  • If the weather scares you off... you can usually cancel within 24 hours, sometimes a week, and only lose the reservation fee (usually about $5 or $10)
  • A good fan for outside under your awning will keep the skeeters away.
  • Bug-A-Salt's are great fun!
  • Full Hookups (FHU) are nice, but not a necessity. We have a Fresh Water tank, and we're not afraid to use it.
  • Pack your RV and have it ready to go the day before you leave for your trip if you can.
  • DW is "Dear Wife", DH is "Dear Husband", HWH is hot water heater, FW is "Fresh water", etc.
  • Everything tastes better when you cook it outside.
  • Don't worry about leaving your chairs or cooler outside. 99% chance it will still be there when you return.
  • Keep your shower short.
  • RV Parky is awesome if I didn't say it already.
We're getting ready to take our first "BIG" trip, going to New Orleans for a few days, then over to Pensicola, FL for a few more coming up the end of May. I'm sure we'll learn more on that trip, and I can't wait to go!
We agree with all the above and would like to add the valuable app, "Gas Buddy". It will help you find fuel and locate the least expensive fuel in your travels.

Just bear in mind that if you have a 5er or TT behind you it may be very difficult to gt into all the stations listed.

And one last little item, a pet peeve of mine. It is not a Hot Water Heater. If the water were hot there would be no need to heat it, would there?

It is simply a Water Heater. Look on floorplans of RVs and blueprints for houses, it is simply a WH.

Quibbling, I know, but as I said, a Pet Peeve of mine.

Tags