Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Newbie Winterizing Question

I have recently purchased a 2016 Cherokee 264L. We live outside of Dallas, TX and plan on taking a new trip every 4-6 weeks. Do I need to winterize our TT every time we come home? Or is there a few basic checklists that I need to perform that will take care of if for the few weeks that it isn't in use. This is our first TT ever so any feedback will be greatly appreciated. My rookie fear is not maintaining it properly enough to maximize the life of our new purchase. Also, what all is involved in the winterizing process. Thank you in advance for all the help with my novice questions.

Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

U-Tube can be your friend when learning how to winterize. If your outside temps drop below 30 for several hours then you need to be winterized. $4 for a gallon of RV antifreeze and a checklist of procedures lowers the learning curve. We usually winterize 2 or 3 times each season, depending on travel requirements. Buy several gallons when to can. First time takes about an hour, then later you can do it in 20 minutes.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

I agree with SilhouettePenny. You should get a water blow down plug , a hot water bypass kit (if not already installed), and a tee in for the water pump(winterizing kit). Most dealers have them, if not Campingworld or Tweety's will. Then follow You Tube instuctions you will need to find your water low point drains and your water heater and water pump locations. Wallmart should have rv antifreeze. At the very least you need to blow down your water system and drain the water heater. Texas? up north antifreeze is a must ask other RV'ers in you area. Hope this helps. Don't forget the outside shower if you have one, I did once, new lines and fixture now.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:46 AM   #4

Thank you all for the help and information! I got super fortunate that when I called the RV dealer that is closest to me, he had me bring in the trailer and did a full run down winterize and sent me home with a bag of everything I would need to last the rest of winter all for $50!!!

Cody
2016 Cherokee 264L
2015 Ram 1500 Lonestar 4x4
Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter, winterize