Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #1

Newbie with solar power

So we just recently purchased our TT and I am now wondering about getting a little solar kit to keep the battery charged. I have looked out at Camping World and they have a few for a decent price but I am not really sure what exactly I would need to get. If we are hooked up to electrical at a site, that is charging the battery and we wouldn't need the solar, correct? I still would like to have it for those dry camping times and looking for some help on what I would need to get this setup going. Thanks for any help.

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #2

Suggest you buy or borrow a DC Clamp-on meter. I paid $70 for mine (Extech brand) at Northern Tool. Until you know how much you use, how can you determine how much you need to put back?

Where do you live, what time of year do you camp (all year?), blah blah?

Tioga George (Google his website) is one of the many who are successfully using a solar setup.

I love Camping World, but it would be one of the last places I'd buy solar panels. If you are paying more than about $5 per Watt, you can get a better deal with little shopping.

Equalizer Hitch -w- 1000# bars
Yamaha EF2400iS generator
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #3

Solar panels are not cheap. If you plan on doing a lot of dry camping; the first thing you will need are at least two six volt golf cart (true deep cycle) batteries. If you have a large TV and Sat Dish; you will get about 3-4 hours before running down the batteries. This is not counting the time the furnace runs/water pump/interior lights. I had a motorhome with 4 six volt batteries and two 100 watt solar panels and they just managed to keep the batteries charged if I watched a lot of TV in the evening. The solar panels that are used to trickle charge the batteries will never work if you use a lot of power. Also keep in mind that a larger system will need a charge controller to make sure you don't overcharge the batteries. Google "AM SOLAR" This company has an exceelnt website and it explains all the facts on solar panels and batteries.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Solar panels are not cheap. If you plan on doing a lot of dry camping; the first thing you will need are at least two six volt golf cart (true deep cycle) batteries. If you have a large TV and Sat Dish; you will get about 3-4 hours before running down the batteries. This is not counting the time the furnace runs/water pump/interior lights. I had a motorhome with 4 six volt batteries and two 100 watt solar panels and they just managed to keep the batteries charged if I watched a lot of TV in the evening. The solar panels that are used to trickle charge the batteries will never work if you use a lot of power. Also keep in mind that a larger system will need a charge controller to make sure you don't overcharge the batteries. Google "AM SOLAR" This company has an exceelnt website and it explains all the facts on solar panels and batteries.
thanks for the help, I will have to check out that AM Solar site you mentioned.

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar