Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #1

Newbies looking for RV

We're looking to buy our first RV. Think we're deciding on Rockwood 2906WS. Thoughts, reviews? Anything will help. Would love to buy a used one but can't find one in our neck of the woods, southeastern PA.
harters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

You will not regret your choice. Rockwood can’t be beat in my opinion. I have a 2016 2902WS and I love everything about it. I went with a 50 amp setup w/ 2 ac’s. So if I pull into a 30 amp site I only use one ac, if I get a 50amp site I then can use both ac’s. An adapter is all you need to use 30 amps with a 50 amp plug-in. Great quality with Rockwood. Good luck.
MichaelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

I’ve got a nice 2017 2703WS for sale in sw PA. Will be listing it on Craigslist in a week or two if the weather allows.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You could also try looking into a Flagstaff model. They're sister brands and are built on the same line. This seems to be the sister model from Flagstaff:

Flagstaff Super Lite 29KSWS Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

The main difference between them is the colour scheme/graphics. Otherwise, they're built the same. I've also found the majority of plans will be available from a majority of the different brands, once somebody creates a new floor plan, it tends to be quickly copied.

My best advice I can give you is to go 'dealer' shopping first. Unless you plan to do all your own maintenance and repairs, your relationship with your dealer is one of the most important aspects of owning an RV. Go check out the local dealers, look up their reviews, visit their showroom, visit their service department, talk to the service guys, as these are the guys you're going to deal with on an ongoing basis, so you want to be comfortable with them. Visit the parts department, make sure you're comfortable with them.

Once you settle on a dealer, you should be able to tell him what you want and have them do the work of finding the trailer for you. A good dealer won't push you into something you don't like just because it's on the lot.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
You could also try looking into a Flagstaff model. They're sister brands and are built on the same line. This seems to be the sister model from Flagstaff:

Flagstaff Super Lite 29KSWS Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV

The main difference between them is the colour scheme/graphics. Otherwise, they're built the same. I've also found the majority of plans will be available from a majority of the different brands, once somebody creates a new floor plan, it tends to be quickly copied.

My best advice I can give you is to go 'dealer' shopping first. Unless you plan to do all your own maintenance and repairs, your relationship with your dealer is one of the most important aspects of owning an RV. Go check out the local dealers, look up their reviews, visit their showroom, visit their service department, talk to the service guys, as these are the guys you're going to deal with on an ongoing basis, so you want to be comfortable with them. Visit the parts department, make sure you're comfortable with them.

Once you settle on a dealer, you should be able to tell him what you want and have them do the work of finding the trailer for you. A good dealer won't push you into something you don't like just because it's on the lot.
We have found a dealer, thank goodness.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelF View Post
You will not regret your choice. Rockwood can’t be beat in my opinion. I have a 2016 2902WS and I love everything about it. I went with a 50 amp setup w/ 2 ac’s. So if I pull into a 30 amp site I only use one ac, if I get a 50amp site I then can use both ac’s. An adapter is all you need to use 30 amps with a 50 amp plug-in. Great quality with Rockwood. Good luck.
Thank you very much. We will also do the 50 amp service. Floor plan and everything works for us.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

We too have the 2906WS. The layout is what sold us on this unit. We also have the 50 amp with two AC's. We absolutely love our Rockwood!
bobbasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

Newbies looking for RV

Make sure your tow vehicle is adequate for that tongue weight & gross vehicle weight.
JoJoSewSew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbasch View Post
We too have the 2906WS. The layout is what sold us on this unit. We also have the 50 amp with two AC's. We absolutely love our Rockwood!
Thanks. It was the first one we saw we really liked. Have looked at a lot of other floorplans and came back to this one. Just having a hard time finding a dealer close to us. We found a dealer about 1.5 hrs away that can work.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoSewSew View Post
Make sure your tow vehicle is adequate for that tongue weight & gross vehicle weight.
Thanks. My husband has had 2 different mechanics look at it and believe we are good to go.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harters3 View Post
Thanks. My husband has had 2 different mechanics look at it and believe we are good to go.
Most mechanics know nothing about towing.
No way would I rely on a mechanic's advice on a tow vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #12

2703 Great floor plan

Look at that 2703WS model. Great open layout, with fantastic counter space in kitchen area, that DW will like, which is hard to find.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by harters3 View Post
How does the mech know all the load weights
We have a tt that can tip the scale at 9000 lbs fully loaded(never trust the listed dry weights)
So we are looking at a tounge weight pushing 1400 lbs
The add about another 100 lbs for a hitch
How many passengers in the tow vehicle and what are their weights
What is the weight of any gear that is going to be in the tow vehicle
So unless you have a 3/4 ton truck you run out of capacity fast

All this added up needs to be less then the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle
Then you need to look at the cgvwr and not exceed that as well as the towing limits and the hitch limits
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #14

After 37 years with 2 motor homes 1 5 wheel 1 truck camper and 4 travel trailers we finally ended up with a Palimino Puma 32RLQS. Things to look for are ample 110v outlets, nite stands by bed, end tables by sofa, large shower, ample clothes closet, large pantry, bathroom towel and toiletries storage, 2 a/c's( 50 amp service), TV opposite viewing seating (recliners preferable), gas/AC frig, TV cable and satailite hookup. The puma has all these plus a washer/ dryer closet, check it out.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #15
Insert witty title here

Opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they are usually full of crap.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags