Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Newby question: Trailer tires

Tires that are being offered with an HW 276 (new) are rated 1750 lbs. each. Trailer listed dry weight is about 3100 (dry weight) with payload of an additional 600 lbs for a total of 3700 lbs. (This was all taken from the stickers on the trailer). Forest River website lists the trailer at a bit less than this. That same website also states the tongue weight should be subtracted when considering tire payload ( a bit over 300 lbs in this case).

My question for you vets is, would you consider these tires safe? It seems to be pushing your luck to run tiresr to their maximum rating when towing anything. It also seems a bit shady to me to sell a unit where the tires will be at their maximum with normal weight loads.

My other question is, do any of you have issues running ST tires (rated at 65 mph max)? I'm no speed demon but in Az, speed limits are frequently much higher than this on the freeways. Do any of you run LT tires to obtain a higher speed rating?

As always, input from you road warriors are greatly appreciated.

ASUDevilMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
A lot of people do run LT tires- as long as you can find them in your wheel size.

A lot of people also go up a load range and stay with ST tires- as long as your wheel supports the increased tire pressure.

And finally, a lot of people tow at 55-65 MPH regardless of the speed limit. I'll admit, I've only towed in the east but I tow between 60 and 65 mph (I usually shoot for 62). Even when the speed limits are 65 and 70. I figure people can just go around if they're not happy with my speed. Occasionally, I do get to pass someone, but it's rare. We celebrate with champagne when it happens, though. :-D

Goodyear Marathons can be used at higher speeds *if* you go by the load tables and there is enough cushion to increase the PSI in the tire without exceeding the tire or rim. 1psi=1mph speed increase up to 75mph. Sounds like you'd be near your maximums, so this isn't an option.

Greenball ST tires are rated at 75mph.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires, trailer