Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #1

Talking Nice to be camping again!

Finally got our FIRST….that’s right….FIRST camping trip of the year. We took our two oldest granddaughters, Amanda (11) & Madison (12) to Robbers Cave State Park located near Wilburton, OK.

We spent 3 nights over the Labor Day Weekend and had a blast. We did a few of our walk a rounds, went swimming, played miniature golf, roasted marshmallows for smores and just enjoyed the camping experience.
This park was pretty nice. Some spots were tight and small, but there were plenty that could hold a big rig. Interesting history in the area. The one thing I didn’t like, the swimming pool doesn’t open until 1:00 pm. Not a deal breaker, we’ll return.

No problems at all with the tt even though it has been a year since we last took it out. We have only used it driveway camping, letting the grandkids sleep in it every now then. I had sanitized the water system a couple of months ago. We have ran the AC a few times and I did spend most of the day Friday double checking everything, including giving it a good wash job. Keeping it under cover sure does help. It did get close to 100º a couple of days, but the AC did a good job keeping the tt cool. Just couldn’t be happier with my PT LaCrosse. Oh yeah……we did see an Avenger, a Crusader and a Tracer, so the PT trailers are out there.

The truck did fantastic. First diesel I’ve owned and first time pulling the tt. 90% of the trip was on winding, hilly 2 lane roads with more curves and steeper, longer climbs the closer we got to Robbers Cave. There is a really steep climb going into the campground with a horseshoe curve. The truck handled it all with ease. I‘m hooked on diesels for sure now.

Here’s a few pics. Enjoy!

Been campin' since they's babies.....2005 - 2014

Entrance to one of the campgrounds

The girls at the entrance to the campground we camped in

Our campsite

The view on one of our morning walks

Hitched up and ready to head home
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Great pictures! Good to hear that you are back camping again and having fun.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing your pics. Look like everybody had a great time!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Infractee

Very nice! Rig looks great! Didn't you used to have an F250 that you bought here in Fort Worth? I think it was a gasser?
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

I agree Gary. It's been longer than that for us. But for me, it was an extended layoff. I didn't want to spend any money during my search for work, so we were stuck in the house for over 6 months. All is well now. We finally got out this past weekend also, up to Gladewater, TX so the wife could get her antique fix. We are both better now!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
Very nice! Rig looks great! Didn't you used to have an F250 that you bought here in Fort Worth? I think it was a gasser?
Your right. Did all the negotiating online and over the phone. Easiest deal I ever made. It was a really nice truck, but it had the 5.4 V8 and just didn't get the job done. A couple of years later I found a good deal on a V10. That's what I traded in on this diesel. I made good deals so I really didn't get hurt buying so often. I think I have finally found the truck I like and need. I'll be keeping this one awhile.

EdJunior.....it's been tough not getting to camp much the past two years, but I think starting next summer that will change. Just gotta hang in there a little while longer.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #7

I saw the whispering pines sign and thought you were in RI near Newport. I guess not. lol.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, it great seeing that you are getting to camp again, and are back on the forum !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #9

great shots, thx for posting!

x2 on the Good looking rig
Max100TN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping