Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

Nice Xmas trip

Nothing incredible to report other than it was a nice trip. Went up to Baltimore for Xmas at the in-laws. We stayed in the camper because it was fun. Then off to Ohio to my mom's. More fun in camp driveway. Trip home last night was about as bad as I am willing to travel. Rain/sleet/freezing rain with gusty winds and just to make it interesting, thick fog through the Cumberland, MD area (I-68). Oh, the special treat was this was all at night. As usual, the trip around the D.C. beltway was a lot of fun. But all went well and we really, really, really enjoyed the trailer.

Only interesting tidbit has to do with hitch weight. We started out at 6,000 lbs with a hitch weight of 600 lbs. (the new Sherline hitch scale shore is handy). I kept it that way for the 90 mile trip to Baltimore. No sway, but I could feel a lot of twitching going on. So I moved inside stuff from the back of the trailer to the front. Not sure where the hitch weight went, but it went up some. Better, but not perfect. I shifted all my ouside gear from the back to the front and increased hitch weight to 750 lbs. Ahhh.... that's better. Left it that way for the rest of the trip and all was good.

Just thought I'd share.

Tom
tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Tom,
Glad the trip went well. I don' think I have the nerve yet to drive in weather like that! How was the temperatures while driveway camping? We tried it one night when it got down to around 20, but that is when the converter blew. We were going to try last night, but I have come down with a cold, and decided not to. Everything warmed up nicely, but we shut it down around 9:00 PM when it was around 30. Glad everything went well, and I will have to remember the hitch weight info.

-Bill

2008 Flagstaff 27BHSS
2006 Ford E-350 XLT 5.4L
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Bedford Indiana

kristler is offline   Reply With Quote