Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #31
Mod free 5er

If you can get nitrogen for free, go for it, otherwise just use plain old gas station/home air. Tires were used on land vehicles for a 100 yrs before they started the snake oil remedy of nitrogen.

BOTTOM LINE
, do what you want, it doesn't make any difference one way or the other.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthedog View Post
the green cap could mean the tire has slime in it to repair/prevent a leak, although that one is more of a barf green.

It is the N2 sticker on the side of the trailer that makes it official. No one would fake that!
stopped at a well know national rv dealer to put some air in a tire that was low and they wouldn't fill it because they were nitrogen filled. (probably just didn't want to be bothered). changed out valve caps and removed sticker after that. (yeah I know I voided my warranty )

craig

Old 09-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #33

You can put air in them.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
All I was wanting to know was would you drain all the air out of your tire before you refilled it if they were nitrogen. I do know that nitrogen makes it 80% of the atmosphere I am aware of that. I was just asking if when he gets low if people just use regular air in mixed in together that's all. My Lord is there anyway to delete this post

2014 1500 GMC
2015 solaire 267bhsk
My TT came with nitrogen filled tires. There is no reason to release the nitrogen before using regular air. I just add regular air as needed.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
You can put air in them.
I did, that's all I wanted in the first place.

craig
Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #36

I have to admit I've often wondered why an industry infamous for using the cheapest materials obtainable would then slap "premium" nitrogen-filled tires on their product.

An oxymoron in the truest sense......
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielabram71 View Post
All I was wanting to know was would you drain all the air out of your tire before you refilled it if they were nitrogen. I do know that nitrogen makes it 80% of the atmosphere I am aware of that. I was just asking if when he gets low if people just use regular air in mixed in together that's all. My Lord is there anyway to delete this post

2014 1500 GMC
2015 solaire 267bhsk
Sorry but folks just sometimes have a sick sense of humor. I've been reading RV forums for 6 years now and as post #2 says... these pop up from time to time, and they're all the same... Those that want to believe it's gotta be nitrogen still can't tell us how to evacuate all the air from the tire, because it can't really be done. To achieve 100% nitrogen fill the tires would have to be mounted in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere, or a create a perfect vacuum inside a mounted tire... Neither of those things are gonna happen due to cost and impossibility. As to wishing the post could be deleted..... just get your flame suit on and enjoy the humor... even if directed at you.

I've had more than one round lobbed across my bow...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #38

I fill my tires with helium and it reduces the weight of the trailer by almost 1000 pounds.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster_mi View Post
stopped at a well know national rv dealer to put some air in a tire that was low and they wouldn't fill it because they were nitrogen filled. (probably just didn't want to be bothered). changed out valve caps and removed sticker after that. (yeah I know I voided my warranty )

craig

What special warranty did you get for using N2?

What you expect a national RV chain store to actually know something about their product? Whoever refused to inflate your tires should be reported to both local and corporate management.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #40

Not for or against, but I will say the nitrogen filled tires that came on our ML23fb we purchased back in March have been excellent.
We have gone on about twenty camping adventures towing about 3000 miles mostly in 90+ degree weather this summer and the psi level in the trailer tires hardly moves.
When we picked the trailer up new I checked the tires and (2) had 52psi, (2) where right at 50psi.
I set the two that where a little over back down to 50psi and all summer long all (4) tires when checked before we head out have stayed at 50psi.
Even after our longest trip (about 300mi one way) I checked the psi once at the campground and all (4) read 52psi.
The Firestone Transforce HT tires I put on my RAM were set at 60psi (regular air) when we set our in the morning all (4) tires were at different psi levels ranging from 58 to 62 psi (no two tires read the same). I monitored the truck tires most of the trip from the dash in the RAM and the TV tires went all over the place psi wise, at peak they hit 66psi and when at the campground had read 65psi.
So a 8psi difference on natural air tires, to a 2psi difference on the nitrogen filled.

2011 Ram 1500
2016 ML23FB
MT Biker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, tire, tires