Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

no air from bedroom or kitchen vents

We have a 2015 salem ultra light trav trailer
When we turn ac on and close the main vent on the ac unit we get air blowing out of the rear ceiling vents but not the front
Anyone have any ideas thinking maybe another thing they forgot to tell us during walk through at the dealer
mr freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
WFD

I wouldn't think so...it's usually pretty straight forward with those, simply open or shut the vent. If you feel nothing, I would question of the venting is even attached.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #3
geezer with gadgets

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for starting this thread. Similar issue with my sunseeker. Air to back driver's side seems to stop at the skylight in the bathroom and nothing from the vent in the bathroom or the bedroom. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #4

figured it out

Dealer never cut opening in insulation to feed front ducts. Once i cut opening air flow to front ducts now
mr freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

I had the same thing happen to me. The factory failed to cut the tape out of the openings for the ductwork ends. Take those apart and use a knife and cut the tape. Also BEFORE you try turning on the fan take a vacuum and suck all the crap out that you can. I made the mistake of turning on the fan and all kinds of dirt and crap came out and all over the trailer. What a mess that was. After clean up all is working perfect now.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

I do not think I told that correctly. Take the outside panel off the air conditioner. Take it apart until you can see the ductwork beginning. It is probably covered with silver insulating tape. Cut the tape off and you should be able to see where the air flows into the ductwork. Be careful to remove all screws. Some were hidden in my unit.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 06-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

Seems it was the mfrs job to open the vents and cut the tape around the opening. Although it should have been discovered during the dealer prep. it could have been easily missed if the a/c was turned on and a single vent was checked for air flow.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

My opinion was factory mistake. You would have to tear the cover off and spend a lot of time checking each air conditioning unit for this problem. Not really cost effective for the dealer. But the dealer is the one who helped me find the problem after I got my camper home. They told me they run into this problem once in a while when I called them on the phone.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 06-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Hey you Guys. That's great info. to have. I'm thinking our Shockwave may have a similar problem getting air to the front bedroom. Not very much air pressure coming out of the vents up front.
Question. Have wiring set up to add front bedroom AC. Would that additional AC duct into the same ductwork to give all vents more pressure?
Cheers...
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #10

I would think it does. Installing new ductwork for the addition of a new air unit would seem almost impossible w/o a huge amount of work. But this is just my opinion. Also there could be something inside the duct work like fiberglass stuck in there. I used a small shop vac with a long hose and cleaned out all my duct work. I could not believe all the stuff I got out of there. Even screws and misc. construction garbage. Too bad they cannot do a bit of cleanup when constructing these campers. Open a few panels on your walls and u will find all kinds of stuff. And the guy who put the rubber sealer around my air conditioning unit on the roof and the other vents must have had his head up his rear. He did the job but sprayed the stuff all over and it looks like crap. Only discovered it when I got on the roof of my unit. It is purely cosmetic but if you are going to do a job why not take pride in it and do it right?

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr freeze View Post
We have a 2015 salem ultra light trav trailer
When we turn ac on and close the main vent on the ac unit we get air blowing out of the rear ceiling vents but not the front
Anyone have any ideas thinking maybe another thing they forgot to tell us during walk through at the dealer
I have been digging pieces of foam out of vents I think when they cut the ducts they didn't clean up thier work. What I done was seal off a couple of vents that will force it through the duct this is in a 2014 Sunseeker.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I would think it does. Installing new ductwork for the addition of a new air unit would seem almost impossible w/o a huge amount of work. But this is just my opinion. Also there could be something inside the duct work like fiberglass stuck in there. I used a small shop vac with a long hose and cleaned out all my duct work. I could not believe all the stuff I got out of there. Even screws and misc. construction garbage. Too bad they cannot do a bit of cleanup when constructing these campers. Open a few panels on your walls and u will find all kinds of stuff. And the guy who put the rubber sealer around my air conditioning unit on the roof and the other vents must have had his head up his rear. He did the job but sprayed the stuff all over and it looks like crap. Only discovered it when I got on the roof of my unit. It is purely cosmetic but if you are going to do a job why not take pride in it and do it right?
Thanks ham camper.
I was just thinking if the additional bedroom AC could duct into the existing bedroom duct work, then it could add more pressure to all the other existing vents.
The dealer or installer probably just installs at the skylight location and the new unit then blows straight down.

barrie1
Old 06-26-2015, 03:20 AM   #13

On our 2015 Freedom Express 248RBS, the front air DOES NOT hook up to the ductwork. It only blows in the bedroom. We had the 50 amp, 15000 btu and second air 13500 btu upgrade on it.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
On our 2015 Freedom Express 248RBS, the front air DOES NOT hook up to the ductwork. It only blows in the bedroom. We had the 50 amp, 15000 btu and second air 13500 btu upgrade on it.
That was really smart to upgrade the main AC to the 15000. We should have done that. Dealer said it wouldn't be necessary. But it would be nice.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

The sales manager tried to tell us we did not need either upgrade. We asked if he ever camped when it was 105, we had and wanted the extra.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo, vent