Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

no edit option

I am signed in but have no edit option on my post.
Am I overlooking something?.
Well, I do now. Could not edit a previous post.
zoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

When I asked a moderator about the same issue I was told "You only have 1 or 2 hours to edit your post. After that, you have to PM a moderator to edit it."
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithInUpstateNY View Post
When I asked a moderator about the same issue I was told "You only have 1 or 2 hours to edit your post. After that, you have to PM a moderator to edit it."
I can't help but say that I think that is a dumb policy. I should be able to correct my own posts. I like to correct errors in punctuation and grammar. Sometimes it takes time to catch those mistakes. I can unstand a time limit measured in days.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSoldier919 View Post
I can't help but say that I think that is a dumb policy. I should be able to correct my own posts. I like to correct errors in punctuation and grammar. Sometimes it takes time to catch those mistakes. I can unstand a time limit measured in days.
Here's what happens with wide open edit windows. A member initiates a thread and others contribute over three or four days including telling the OP there's something wrong with his story. The OP goes back 3 days later, alters his post and says "No, I never said that... I said this." The entire forum turns to jelly if there's no short window for editing threads.

Some people take more than a few days to notice their spelling errors. Some don't even notice if they are pointed out in print.

I don't own this forum so I don't make the rules but I understand them. People who own their own forums (fora) can make their own rules.

The time limit is 120 minutes as it says in the forum documentation. You still have time to fix "unstand".

By the way, the thread you have awakened was last updated 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

I've learned to live with the policy.

I will say I am also a member of the Keystone forums (I owned a Bullet before my Prime Time Avenger and remained a member, many of the problems people encounter are the same). I just verified that there I can edit a post that is at least 2 days old, but not a week old. I'm not sure what the exact cut off is.

When you edit a post it displays "Last edited by XYZ on (date)" at the bottom of the post. (Apparently, the same as here [emoji3])

As a member you can't see what the edit was, but I suspect (though I don't know) that a moderator can.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I've learned to live with the policy.

I will say I am also a member of the Keystone forums (I owned a Bullet before my Prime Time Avenger and remained a member, many of the problems people encounter are the same). I just verified that there I can edit a post that is at least 2 days old, but not a week old. I'm not sure what the exact cut off is.

When you edit a post it displays "Last edited by XYZ on (date)" at the bottom of the post. (Apparently, the same as here [emoji3])

As a member you can't see what the edit was, but I suspect (though I don't know) that a moderator can.
At this writing, we have 123,819 members. Volunteer moderators cannot watch for this "last edited" message on all of the 177,977 threads, 2,148,422 posts to keep edited changes from altering the stability of the forum. We CAN respond to members' PM requests to do edits. The other option, if applicable, is for the moderator to turn on the edit function for a post so that the moderator can validate the edit.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

Sorry if I implied volunteer moderators should monitor "last edited" messages, that was not my intent. I only intended to note that if a post has been edited everyone who reads it subsequently is aware it has been edited, though they don't know why or how.

And as I said previously I have learned to live with the policy here.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry if I implied volunteer moderators should monitor "last edited" messages, that was not my intent. I only intended to note that if a post has been edited everyone who reads it subsequently is aware it has been edited, though they don't know why or how.

And as I said previously I have learned to live with the policy here.
No problem. My worry with using "last edited" is that posts that are quoted and then edited, nothing automatically edits the quote. I've seen members quote the original post of a thread on the second page of the thread. If the original post gets edited 2 days later, the second page quote of the original remains the original text.

Occasionally, I get a PM request to edit a post but it's not very often.

Peace... and good evening.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #9

Mr. Dan I appreciate you taking the time to explain the reasons. I just disagree with the very short time frame for editing. I guess I just have to review my posts more thoroughly before submitting them.