Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

No excuses not to have one...

There is just no longer any excuse not to have a weather radio with an alert.

Found this at Walmart today.

It doesn't have SAME, so it will alert on any warning it receives, but under $20 and about the size of my watch, there just isn't any excuse not to have a weather radio handy.

Found this at Walmart today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1105151035-00.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	93760  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

That was something I picked up several years ago after a trip to TN and we were sent to the fall out shelter due to a tornado risk.. Scary stuff when all we have around here is some snow. One of the first things I do is set up the weather radio when we get parked and run an app on the phone to do the same.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #3

Smart phones now have that feature built into them.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:45 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

They do, but that needs service. I camp several places that I have no service.. Although.. I have also found a few places that were pretty populated where I could not get a NOAA channel... Good to have redundancy.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Most areas that are tornado prome, like here in Oklahoma, have extensive tornado/severe weather warning systems in the former of traditional sirens or the newer digital sirens with siren and verbal alerts.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Too old to be too smart

My Cobra FRS radios have NOAA built in. Does not "alert", however.

We can receive weather most places we go, and have used it frequently during the summers in the Midwest.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #7

The in dash radio in our 2008 Georgetown has a weather radio. We monitor it often while camping or even while driving if the skys look threatening. My sister called me when our of their friend bought a used motor home. Sis wanted to buy them a housewarming gift for the camper and called me to get some sugestions. I told her they would need many things but to get them a weather radio. She did. They were very surprised and said they never even thought of one but it was the perfect gift once they saw that they actually had a need. Every one needs one.
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #8

Agree on the radio. Also smart to ask where the closest shelter is when you check into a site. It would be a nice addition to GPS files.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
That was something I picked up several years ago after a trip to TN and we were sent to the fall out shelter due to a tornado risk.. Scary stuff when all we have around here is some snow. One of the first things I do is set up the weather radio when we get parked and run an app on the phone to do the same.
I wonder where the alerts come from, National weather service? We were camping this past summer and a storm rolled in quickly. I heard sirens while we were in the camper. I looked outside and seen everyone running to the bathhouses. We went to. After a few minutes we got heavy hail. I cracked the door open from the laundry room and had seen small tree limbs and coolers and other stuff flying by not much evidence of a tornado but really heavy wind. Clear one minute and chaos the next. Might be a good thing for an immediate alert. How do you like what you purchased?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
How do you like what you purchased?
Who me?

No I didn't buy one, as I am loaded up on SAME WX radios. 2 nicer Radio Shack models and 2 Midlands, plus my VHF amateur radio equipment will receive the weather service frequencies as well.

I just wanted folks to know, that tiny and that cheap, there's no excuse not to have that protection.

I have never had to bug out to the storm shelter, but my WX radios have sent me to the basement a time or two. There was one trip where we knew weather was coming (thanks to the radio) so we packed up all the outdoor toys to keep them from being blown away, except for a bucket under the trailer. Found that 2 sites away next morning!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote