Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 02:37 AM   #1

No microwave or ac on generator

Hi,
So just got 2020 XLR Hyperlite 26hfs. So wanted to use the microwave.
I turned on the generator (onan 4000)
Waited a few min
Tried to turn on microwave and nothing. No lights nothing.
I then tried to turn on the AC. Got nothing.
Tested the heater and it started making noise so I figured it worked.
I looked at the breakers and everything looks good.

Any ideas?

I do know that when at the dealership the AC worked but we were plugged in to shore power.
I dont see if there is a switch to go from shore to gen.
AK_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 AM   #2

Check the breaker on the generator if "on". Also look if you have a transfer switch.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Q View Post
Hi,
So just got 2020 XLR Hyperlite 26hfs. So wanted to use the microwave.
I turned on the generator (onan 4000)
Waited a few min
Tried to turn on microwave and nothing. No lights nothing.
I then tried to turn on the AC. Got nothing.
Tested the heater and it started making noise so I figured it worked.
I looked at the breakers and everything looks good.

Any ideas?

I do know that when at the dealership the AC worked but we were plugged in to shore power.
I dont see if there is a switch to go from shore to gen.

Do you know if you have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) or manually have to plug the shore power cord into the generator?

This thread may help you in understanding the question above

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

Also do you have any kind of electronic display screen, that you must use in order to select power source?

As suggested above, check the breakers on the generator as shown at 4:53 of this Forest River Video:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:09 AM   #4

sounds simple: your generator's own breaker(s) have tripped, a common occurrence, and a learning experience: the generator will be 'running', but nothing will be 'working'!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Since this is your first post to the forums, and not aware of your previous RV experiences, this thread may help too, as the first links help explain your DIFFERENT electrical systems and what items are powered by what sources.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

Hi.
So I am a little familur with campers but this is my first.
I called the warranty department and they are finding me a place to take it here in Fargo, ND.
So I did read thru the forums last night and tried most of what was said.
The service department said that most likely a wire didnt get hooked up.... oh I mean came lose.
I will update what I find out.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

Ok. Had to take it to Cummins dealership. We figured out the problem in 15 min. The ATS was wired opposite. Looks like the unit was seated opposite in the box. Switched panel and shore hookups and all is well.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 AM   #8

Thanks for telling us the fix. So many problems are posted without reporting what the fix was

Bill
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #9

Same issue on my 19 26HFS

Quote:
Ok. Had to take it to Cummins dealership. We figured out the problem in 15 min. The ATS was wired opposite. Looks like the unit was seated opposite in the box. Switched panel and shore hookups and all is well.
Do you have a picture of the correct configuration? I am troubleshooting the same issue... I figure out that my Onan 4000 has an L1, Neutral (listed as L2 on the generator schematic) and a ground, NOT an L1, L2, Neutral, Ground. This means that the bus transfer is only sending 110 down a single leg of the bus and that only the right side (in my case) breakers are receiving 110. The others are not getting anything on generator power. I did some testing with an old pal (electronics guy like me) and we no load tested all the cabling by jumping from L1 to L2 terminal in the bus transfer and leaving the Neutral and the Ground in place, opened all the breakers and sure enough got 110 on both sides of the bus. I could easily throw some 10 gauge wire in there and roll on generator with a fire extinguisher on hot standby but i would prefer it to be in the right configuration to begin with... Thanks! Mark
Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi.

I called the warranty department and they are finding me a place to take it here in Fargo, ND.
Fargo, ND and you're concerned about running the air conditioner?
I know, it still can get pretty warm up there (for maybe a week or two!), down in my neck of the woods the A/C is far more important than any furnace.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
...I figured out that my Onan 4000 has an L1, Neutral (listed as L2 on the generator schematic) and a ground, NOT an L1, L2, Neutral, Ground. This means that the bus transfer is only sending 110 down a single leg of the bus and that only the right side (in my case) breakers are receiving 110. The others are not getting anything on generator power. I did some testing with an old pal (electronics guy like me) and we no load tested all the cabling by jumping from L1 to L2 terminal in the bus transfer and leaving the Neutral and the Ground in place, opened all the breakers and sure enough got 110 on both sides of the bus. I could easily throw some 10 gauge wire in there and roll on generator with a fire extinguisher on hot standby but i would prefer it to be in the right configuration to begin with... Thanks! Mark
The 4kw Onan is a 120 volt unit, so it's only going to have L1, Neutral (L2) & Ground. In order to get power to both you have to do the same thing a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone does, just as you've already done in your test situation. Run a jumper from L1 to L2 on the ATS. Just be sure to put the jumper on the "Generator supply side" of the contactor and not the shore power or ATS output side.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #12

I just added a 10ga wire black from the terminal output of the gen to the L3 open terminal on the gen side of the transfer switch and it works like a champ. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
I just added a 10ga wire black from the terminal output of the gen to the L3 open terminal on the gen side of the transfer switch and it works like a champ. Thanks!
So you're saying a 50amp service unit (RV) was delivered with an onboard 30amp Onan Gen?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #14

The people at the Cedar Creek factory also had my transfer switch hooked up backwards. The generator output to the transfer switch was going to the shore power cord instead of the camper breaker box. If the generator had been running and someone had the shore power cord hooked to the camper and then touched the blades of the male end of the cord...could very well have got electrocuted.
When I sent pictures to Forest River of the way they had it hooked up, they were somewhat cavalier about the whole thing. Like....gee, we'll let our production people know.
The trouble is that the power cables going into the transfer switch box look and are identical. You don't know which one goes to shore power, and which one goes to the inside breaker box, without knowing how to check them with a multi-meter. Very, very dangerous situation and there is no telling how many FR fifth wheels that are pre-wired for a generator are like this.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #15

Yet another vote of confidence in the ole Forest River Quality Control process...
Old 10-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
So you're saying a 50amp service unit (RV) was delivered with an onboard 30amp Onan Gen?
That's a fact... And they even wired it to the side of the breaker panel that has A/C#2 (pre-wired, not installed), W/H, and GFCI, but not the side with the convertor, A/C#1 (actually present...), microwave... AND it's a 30A output breaker from the penny. They also mis-wired the Battery cutout switch... That was a fun time troubleshooting.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
Very, very dangerous situation and there is no telling how many FR fifth wheels that are pre-wired for a generator are like this.
I wonder if NHTSA would force a recall in a situation like this? Or not since it's part of the "house"?

Tags
generator, microwave