Old 12-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #51
Site Team

This pot has been stirred and several responses have been posted but the OP has not returned to the site since 1 minute past his thread initiation.
Last Activity: 12-21-2018 09:34 AM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #52

Good info for the rest of us though. I encourage folks to post on rvservice.com, so we can have a more complete centralized quick access to this info. I do post my experiences there as well.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
I was silly enough to believe that I should buy new vehicles, toys and RV's to eliminate problems. Now I'm thinking it's best to buy something close to new so that all the screwups are taken care of before you get it in your hands and save thousands on top of it.
There are no guarantees either way.

Poor quality control in the RV industry really means greater inconsistency from one unit to the next. The chances of getting a unit with defects you can't live with increase with poor quality control, but not all units are defective. The recessions in boating got rid of a lot of the manufacturers with poor quality control. That hasn't happened yet with RV builders. So yes, most new RVs have minor defects, a few have serious defects.

The defects - minor and major - may or may not get fixed by the first owner. For some, the RV was an impulse buy, and the problems were more trouble than the RV was worth to the buyer. These units go back on the market within a year or two. There are other units where the dealer couldn't make things right, and it's back on the market. And then are units where the floor plan or concept was wrong for the buyer's camping style. The latter group may or may not have the problems fixed.

So buying used or new in the current situation - it is incumbent that the buyer ensure the unit has no defects that can't be fixed or lived with.

Very much like buying a house, expecting the defects to be properly fixed by the seller after your inspection - whether new or used - is an exercise in wishing with one hand.

I consider the defects found on the inspection - RV, boat, or house - to be my work list and price negotiating tool. If the defects are more than I want to deal with at the price I'm paying, it's time to walk away. Because I will have to deal with the defects sooner or later.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #54

We bought our TT from Schreck RV in Apollo Pa, a smaller family run dealer. Itís one of those places that nobody has anything bad to say. Shortly after getting our TT we had a wiring issue (undercarriage wire rubbed insulation through and shorted). They got us in two days after I called, and fixed it while we waited. Didnít even have to unhitch. Iím a big believer of small local business, and this is exactly why.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #55

Talking RV Servicing

We have been super lucky to have Hayes RV in Longview, Tx. We purchased a 33' Rockwood from RV Outlet in Georgetown and Mr. Hayes took us in like a family. Best service and we purchased else and they asked. Thanks you Hayes RV in Longview. TX.
Ray Deason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #56
Site Team

The OP of this thread was on the site only 1 minute after initiating this thread... hasn't returned to the site.
Last Activity: 12-21-2018 09:34 AM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #57

a great experience can be had and I am going to tell you about it.

I disagree with the main thrust of this thread. I would like to tell you about a recent experience my wife and I had recently.
It was the Friday before Memorial Day and we were packing the trailer for a weeks trip to a local lake. We were taking 3 grandkids with us so there was a lot of stuff to get in the trailer including food. It was then that we realized that the AC was not working! I did the normal troubleshooting but it still would not cool and we needed it because we were in the middle of a heat wave of 90 degree plus highs.
So my wife sent an email on Memorial Day to our dealer and sales rep at Mark Tuggle RV in Cumming Georgia explaining our situation. Within an hour, the sales rep replied and advised us to bring the trailer in at 8am on the Tuesday after Memorial Day. Suffice to say my wife and I were stressed because we could not think how we will make it without AC. Although I know we managed somehow back in the 50's without it but that was the day.
So I show up with the trailer at 8am. And the service guys were checking it out. The service manager came up to me and said 'I have good news and bad news' and I started cringing.
He said 'The good news is that you need a new AC and it's covered by the warranty'. And then he said 'The bad news is that we don't have it in stock'.
As I sat on the porch watching the activity in the service and sales area, I noticed this fork lift going from the service area to the new trailer sales area. And they had an AC on it. Then I saw a service guy on top of a new trailer. They put the old AC on it and took the new one off. Hey, that's my AC unit!!!
Four bolts and a test, and I was good to go. In 1.5 hours!!! No Charge!!!
So I would like to commend Mark Tuggle and would recommend him and his crew to anybody that wants a good trailer and a great service support.
So I realize that there may be some bad service stories, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. But there are good stories out there and this is one of them. https://www.marktugglervcenter.com/
Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #58

Another great experience.

First use of our new camper on Tuesday May 21st and discovered the next day that the carpet was wet on the slideout and we only intermittently had hot water. Tried to dry the carpet as best as I could with a fan, heater and then a hair dryer. I did not see a leak where the water heater was located as I had checked and the plywood was dry. So I thought that perhaps water got in when I opened the slideout. But the next morning, the carpet was just as wet so I called the dealer (Stoltzfus RV at Adamstown) a little after 8 and explained the situation. I was told that if I could get it there, they would immediately fix it. So I unhooked all connections and hooked the unit to my tow vehicle and drove 60+ miles to the dealership, I was directed as to where to park it, and they immediately started to check into it. First they discovered that the heater was not firing. Then they checked the water heater connection to the water line and discovered that it was was leaking. The heater needed a new circuit board. No circuit board in stock so to a new unit on the dealership's lot they went and put that new circuit board on my unit. They had tightened the water line, but before I was to leave, they still found a tiny leak so the water heater was totally drained and really connected tightly. The heater was fired up for expansion and no leak. My wife and I left the campground at 9 and was back ready to set up at 1 pm. We then had a great holiday camping trip.

Great service from a great company!! Go Stoltzfus RV!!!!
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #59

How nice to hear stories about GOOD dealers. Yes, they are out there.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #60

I have my dealership because of the great prices they offer on there direct wholesale program
... my camper was delivered to the closest dealership to my house... I was in for a upgrade we were paying for and had a small issue that a service mgr could look at and order and just send to me to change out. He said we needed appointment to busy today. I said thanks and walked out to show room asked for a manager ... he came over said sure I will be right back 3 minutes later he came up and said done we will send it to your house.... I go as far as I can it does not always work but someone at that dealership did know what service means.. push back when you have too...

Frank & Cindy *** 2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite 5ver *** 2019 Ram Big Horn *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST-507 TPMS *** Furrion Observation Camera *** B&W 18K *** Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT265/60R20 E rated *** 3.92 axle *** Timber grove Air Assist Springs ASAM *** 10 days camped 2019 --- Rockwood FOR SALE --- https://www.forestriverclassifieds.c...ood-2898ks-325
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service