Old 12-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #51
Site Team

This pot has been stirred and several responses have been posted but the OP has not returned to the site since 1 minute past his thread initiation.
Last Activity: 12-21-2018 09:34 AM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 7; booked = 22
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #52

Good info for the rest of us though. I encourage folks to post on rvservice.com, so we can have a more complete centralized quick access to this info. I do post my experiences there as well.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
I was silly enough to believe that I should buy new vehicles, toys and RV's to eliminate problems. Now I'm thinking it's best to buy something close to new so that all the screwups are taken care of before you get it in your hands and save thousands on top of it.
There are no guarantees either way.

Poor quality control in the RV industry really means greater inconsistency from one unit to the next. The chances of getting a unit with defects you can't live with increase with poor quality control, but not all units are defective. The recessions in boating got rid of a lot of the manufacturers with poor quality control. That hasn't happened yet with RV builders. So yes, most new RVs have minor defects, a few have serious defects.

The defects - minor and major - may or may not get fixed by the first owner. For some, the RV was an impulse buy, and the problems were more trouble than the RV was worth to the buyer. These units go back on the market within a year or two. There are other units where the dealer couldn't make things right, and it's back on the market. And then are units where the floor plan or concept was wrong for the buyer's camping style. The latter group may or may not have the problems fixed.

So buying used or new in the current situation - it is incumbent that the buyer ensure the unit has no defects that can't be fixed or lived with.

Very much like buying a house, expecting the defects to be properly fixed by the seller after your inspection - whether new or used - is an exercise in wishing with one hand.

I consider the defects found on the inspection - RV, boat, or house - to be my work list and price negotiating tool. If the defects are more than I want to deal with at the price I'm paying, it's time to walk away. Because I will have to deal with the defects sooner or later.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #54

We bought our TT from Schreck RV in Apollo Pa, a smaller family run dealer. Itís one of those places that nobody has anything bad to say. Shortly after getting our TT we had a wiring issue (undercarriage wire rubbed insulation through and shorted). They got us in two days after I called, and fixed it while we waited. Didnít even have to unhitch. Iím a big believer of small local business, and this is exactly why.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #55

Talking RV Servicing

We have been super lucky to have Hayes RV in Longview, Tx. We purchased a 33' Rockwood from RV Outlet in Georgetown and Mr. Hayes took us in like a family. Best service and we purchased else and they asked. Thanks you Hayes RV in Longview. TX.
Ray Deason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #56
Site Team

The OP of this thread was on the site only 1 minute after initiating this thread... hasn't returned to the site.
Last Activity: 12-21-2018 09:34 AM

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 7; booked = 22
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service