Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #1

No such thing as service after the sale.

I have not heard of one dealer that take care of you after you buy. You may have to bring it back 2 times for same thing. I bought a Rock Wood mini Lite, and it had a weak battery from the start. I worked in the electrical field so I know a bad battery. First time I brought it in they said they had to charger it for 23 hours. All good now. Nope that right their is a sign. Next trip they said I would have to leave it so they can find what is draining the battery. Still no fix, I got tired of having to plug the camper in just to get it off my truck. I called FR they replaced the awning but not the battery, so I bought a new one. My buddy got a Newmar close to half mill,and no dealer would work on it, they said he did not buy it from them. This is sad.
jozack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Well, "No such thing as service after the sale" may be painting the situation with too broad a brush. My dealership worked on my trailer SEVERAL times - too many, as a matter of fact. One time when they had my trailer, someone left a light on in the storage bay. That killed the battery. When I picked up the unit, the service manager told me what happened and showed me the new battery they installed free of charge. They took care of their error. They allowed me to sleep in my trailer in their wash bay a couple of times while they were finding the source of a leak.

RV Guys - Valley View, Texas

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Unfortunately, that's how it is with most dealers. I was fortunate that I found a good dealer- RVWholesalers in Lakeview, OH. But the best advice for most is to find an independent repair shop.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Its a good thing to be somewhat of a handyman when owning a RV. I know that's not a great answer, but it will at least keep you camping.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #5

I live three hundred miles from where I brought my camper at. I’m going to be honest if I had a bad battery I would just buy another better battery. Where you brought the camper at installed the battery and they most likely put the cheapest one in they could find.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Clearly you folks have not been dealing with Bill Plemmons RV. They have two locations in NC, one in Raleigh and the other is just north of Winston Salem. Great buying experience and great post purchase service. The Wildcat needed many trips in for repairs. I would call the service department and they would tell me when to bring it in, and they would begin working on it the next day. It was never there more than 10 days.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #7

I love my bank and I love my RV dealer.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozack View Post
I have not heard of one dealer that take care of you after you buy.
Well, I can actually fix that and say Bayou Outdoors in Bossier City, LA.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post880897

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post412995

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #9

I don't know what your complaining about. If you don't have 6 months to wait for repairs you shouldn't have purchased the trailer.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

It's like anything other business or product. There are good ones and bad ones. Unfortunately, in the RV world there seem to be more bad (or maybe just swamped) dealers who don't seem concerned enough about individual customer service.

But you do have choices, even for warranty work! If you don't like the way your dealer treats you for service, stop banging your head against the wall and complaining. Go somewhere else! Either another dealer, or (my choice) an independent service only shop. Problem solved.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #11

I have been with the same dealer thru 5 different campers now and am very pleased with their service. Wolves Camper Sales in Washington, WV have dealt with us fairly and usually pretty quickly. In some instances, they have gone above and beyond what I was expecting. I know there are bound to be bad dealers out there just like there are bad car dealerships that I will not deal with. Guess I got lucky and found the right dealer years ago, and I'm glad I can give them a shout out.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:19 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are good ones and bad ones and I think a just as important part of the buying process for choosing a R/V... is choosing a dealer. Especially if you are NOT handy and will rely on dealer support after the sale. We've been fortunate to have several. Our most recent being B&R Camper Sales in Butler, PA.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

My dealer had been great. Reimbursed a converter replacement from when I was out west. Dealer there would have made me pay for it or wait 10 days until he did get the warranty approved. My local dealer reimbursed me on the spot and said he would deal with rockwood. They also took care of neighbors minor warranty with his trailer he didnt purchase there but got approval from manufacturer they don't represent. I love my dealer!
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #14

I once received some good advice. Find a great dealer and find something he sells that will with for you and then buy it there.
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I have not heard of one dealer that take care of you after you buy. You may have to bring it back 2 times for same thing. I bought a Rock Wood mini Lite, and it had a weak battery from the start. I worked in the electrical field so I know a bad battery. First time I brought it in they said they had to charger it for 23 hours. All good now. Nope that right their is a sign. Next trip they said I would have to leave it so they can find what is draining the battery. Still no fix, I got tired of having to plug the camper in just to get it off my truck. I called FR they replaced the awning but not the battery, so I bought a new one. My buddy got a Newmar close to half mill,and no dealer would work on it, they said he did not buy it from them. This is sad.
I have had the same experience except canopy country rv in ellensburg wa has been great after the sale best service department i have ever dealt with.
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

What kills me is this scenario. Call to make an appointment; get one that is 3 months out. Bring in your trailer. 3 weeks later they get it in the shop. Ordering parts takes another month. 3 more weeks before they work on the trailer once the parts are in. 5 months later, you have your trailer; and it may or may not actually be repaired.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I purchased three RV's from two different dealers in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. American RV and Northtown Motorhomes. Both have always treated me well and I have no complaints.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #18

I am very happy with my dealer.Pleasureland in Long Praire MN. They have worked very hard to get a quick turn around on any work done. And the techs explained and showed me the a work done.
PaPaMooseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:

Do you have a battery master disconnect switch on your camper? If not, there can be electrical usage which drains the battery. Did the dealer think of that possibility?
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #20

Our dealer has been great for repairs, both in and out of warranty. It is Lloyd Bridges in Chelsea, MI. We have been with them going on 6 years at this point. I have even been able to make appointments, bring in my trailer, and wait for the job to be done. We bought our TT from them and they give a discount to buyers who come back for parts and service. They have been super to work with.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service