Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

non electric site

newbie here, wondering how it works at a non electric site. if i can run a generator for few hrs what can and can i not run in my trailer, and what is the exact purpose if running the generator? what do u do about the food in refeigerator and can i run my hot water heater off gas?
Jfmf527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmf527 View Post
newbie here, wondering how it works at a non electric site. if i can run a generator for few hrs what can and can i not run in my trailer, and what is the exact purpose if running the generator? what do u do about the food in refeigerator and can i run my hot water heater off gas?
Need to know a bit more about your rig before I can comment on the Refer & HWH (Hot Water Heater) for sure but, as a general rule of thumb, the refer and HWH both run off of gas as well as electric.

As for the generator, that will be a park "rule" that will change from park to park - so call the camp host ahead of time and see what their policy is on generators.

Hope this helps.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Most campgrounds have specific generator hours, usually a couple hours in the morning and a few in the late afternoon.
Running the generator is like being plugged into shore power, you can run your 110v AC items and recharge your battery and run the 12v DC things still.
You should still run the fridge and WH on propane since your generator time is limited.

By the way, didn't your dealer go over any of this with you?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #4

Simply put, you can run the fridge off the propane and 12 volts. You can run the water pump off of 12 volts. You can run the furnace off of propane and 12 volts. You can run your lights off of 12 volts. I have 2 group 31 batteries, some solar to keep up with parasitic draw from the fridge, gas detector. I also have 2 twin honda 2000 gennies. If you're frugal with what you run off the batteries , they could last a couple of days or more. The genny will charge your batteries and allow you to use 120 volts appliances, depending on how many watts the genny will supply and how long you run it. You don't want to deplete your batteries under 50% because the life of the batteries lessens. In some campgrounds there is a time allotted to running the genny. it's up to you to find out what that is. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences as well.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

i have a dometic fridge and a suburban hot water heater which i know both run on electric n gas. im just asking cause we have only went out 3 times so far to full hook up sites. so wasnt sure how things worked in a water only site.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

so if i understand correct i cannot use my outlets and a/c correct??
Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

We went dry camping for the first time a couple weekends ago. I have a 2000 watt Honda generator. The park allowed generators from 8AM to 10PM I believe but I never started it before noon.

We used the generator to charge the battery and run the Television during the day. We ran the HWH and the fridge on propane. Everything else was on 12v when the generator was off. Did not use the microwave or the AC, generator was too small for them. We connected our generator to the TT using the 50 amp cable and an adapter on the end at the generator.

We made sure the battery was fully charged by the start of quiet time at 10PM because my wife uses a CPAP for sleeping and it ran on the 12V system at night. Over all it was a pleasant weekend, the temps didn't get too high and we didn't need the AC or the furnace.

Your outlets will work when the generator is connected and running but be careful not to overload the generator with anything you plug in.

What wattage in you generator? That determines if you can use your AC or not with the generator on.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
so if i understand correct i cannot use my outlets and a/c correct??
Outlets only on generator and a/c only on generator IF it is 3000w or more.
It would really help if you posted model of RV and model/brand of generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

2004 forest river salem le and honda 2000 genny
Old 05-25-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
2004 forest river salem le and honda 2000 genny
Well, you can't run the a/c with that generator, but you can run the microwave, the outlets and recharge the battery with it.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

ty
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, you can't run the a/c with that generator, but you can run the microwave, the outlets and recharge the battery with it.
He should be able to run the AC, but nothing else while the AC is on.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #13

so when using a generator if you plug into the 30 amp receptacle aren't you plugging into 220 . i have never run on a generator except at my house 1 winter

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
He should be able to run the AC, but nothing else while the AC is on.
He's got a older 2004 a/c that's at least a 13.5k unit.
I own a Honda 2000w and I know from others posts, that only a handful have been able to run theirs.
Luckily I have been able to run mine, but I seem to be in the minority. But that's near sea level and, as you said, everything else off.

Tags
electric