Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

NORCOLD Freezer and Frig not cold enough

I have a NORCOLD 3150.

Freezer cools to 27 degrees.

Refrigerator cools to 65 degrees.

Outside temperature varies from 55 to 95 degrees. Freezer and Frig stay about the same.

Same results on both AC and gas operation.

Any suggestions as to what is keeping the unit from getting colder?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Either having it packed too full (gotta leave air space in there)...

Opening the door a lot (can't do that like a residential fridge)...

Or, you may need to adjust the thermister...

That is a little clip-thingy on the fins inside the fridge.

Took me awhile to find how to adjust the Norcold refers searching online and is different than the way the Dometic refers work.

What I found is that to make the fridge colder (Norcold) you need to move the thermister lower and left for colder...higher and right to warm it up.

I live in Yuma, AZ where it is 104 degrees in my 5'ver right now (loading it up to leave in about an hour but can't run the AC) and last I checked was 45 degrees from opening to load stuff in (was 35 degrees before I started putting stuff in there).

I have the thermister all the way left and lower as far as the wire will let me go.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I have a NORCOLD 3150.

Freezer cools to 27 degrees.

Refrigerator cools to 65 degrees.

Outside temperature varies from 55 to 95 degrees. Freezer and Frig stay about the same.

Same results on both AC and gas operation.

Any suggestions as to what is keeping the unit from getting colder?
On the inside of my refrigerator on the fins in the back there is a white sensor clipped in. I slide that up or down to make it colder. There is instructions on the wall in mine telling me which direction to slide.
I can't take pictures as TT is not onsite.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

All good ideas.

I tested the thermistor with cold water and in the palm of my hand. It is recognizing cold and warm.

I read the on line manual for the unit. The thermistor is supposed to be placed on the fifth fin from the right. I moved it to there from the first fin. No help.

To measure temperature, I placed an indoor-outdoor sensor inside and read the temperatures without opening the door. The temperature test ran for 3 days without opening the door (empty unit). Tested a second time running over the weekend with no doors opened and testing with a laser heat sensor. It just isn't getting cold.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
All good ideas.

I tested the thermistor with cold water and in the palm of my hand. It is recognizing cold and warm.

I read the on line manual for the unit. The thermistor is supposed to be placed on the fifth fin from the right. I moved it to there from the first fin. No help.

To measure temperature, I placed an indoor-outdoor sensor inside and read the temperatures without opening the door. The temperature test ran for 3 days without opening the door (empty unit). Tested a second time running over the weekend with no doors opened and testing with a laser heat sensor. It just isn't getting cold.
Did you slide it up or down on the fin? That is what controls the temp?

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

DustyRoads, yes. Good idea. The thermistor was placed in the middle for one test and at the bottom for another. No change in temperature.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #7

Norcold Fridge

I have a Norcold and my thermister is on the 11th fin from the right. Try moving yours further to the left. Good luck.
rvhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

norcold not cold enough

These refridgerators need to be reset occasionally.Heres a link on how to do it: https://www.arprv.com/no-co-norcold.php

Also you need some kind of fan blowing the hot air from the back of the unit out the vent on the roof.
Frank Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote