Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

North Carolina Outer Banks Christmas

Considering camping on the outer banks at Christmas time. The KOA is closed, but there is another one open at that time.

Has anyone stayed on the OBX at Christmas? If so, which campground? How was your experience?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Considering camping on the outer banks at Christmas time. The KOA is closed, but there is another one open at that time.

Has anyone stayed on the OBX at Christmas? If so, which campground? How was your experience?
Are you sure about the KOA - I believe its open all year. Never been there at Christmas time, but their website shows the rates sure are nice this time of year.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

We are not going to OBX but we are going to Myrtle Beach (Ocean Lakes) for a week leaving on Tuesday the 29th.

I think OBX would be very quiet over the Christmas holiday. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #4

KOA website shows they are open all year. Give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #5

Camp Hatteras, right next door to KOA, is also very nice.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #6

Camp Hatteras X2
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

We toured all the CG on the OBX and IMHO, KOA was by far the best run and maintained of them all and plan to go again next year after Labor Day.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Gold Miner At Heart

2nd the KOA. 👍
Old 12-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

We really like Camp Hatteras and prefer the Sound side. Sunsets are out of this world.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #10

Obx

If I were going to stay at the Obx that time of year I would stay at Cape Woods campground located at Buxton you are not in a large open area full of blowing sand you can put your awning out the campground is clean and neat enjoyed much more than camp Hatteras and I would not even consider a koa but if you did you run into the same problem as camp Hatteras that time of year usually the wind is blowing off the water and it can be miserable if you enjoy sitting outside
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #11

Boso is right it can get a little breezy down there and the more wind block you have the better. Ocean Waves offers that type of environment but they close in November and go to Florida, where it blows all winter but with a warmer wind
Old 12-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #12

It is very quiet this time of year in the OBX that far south. If the quiet is what you are looking for then the KOa or Camp Hatteras both fill the bill nicely.
If you want the quiet but want much closer access to the restaurants stores and entertainment & history of Kitty Hawk, Nags Head & Manteo...you might want to check The Refuge in Wanchese on Roanoke Island on the sound. Refuge on Roanoke Island North Carolina 27954
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #13

My wife and I have a new tradition of spending New Year's Day at the koa in rodanthe. It does not close. Rates are great and not crowded. The last couple of years the weather has been great. The DW would like to see some snow at the beach. Maybe we will see you there. Happy Holidays.
Tireguy397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #14

I have a condo literally right next door to Camp Hatteras in Rodanthe (Really, I'm 100 feet from some ocean front campsites). I can assure you that it is both a nice facility and also open year round. At this time of year, you can get a nice spot close to the ocean, but I agree that you will probably enjoy the sound side every bit as much, if not more. There is no view from any of the campgrounds of the ocean, as all are below the dune height. On the other hand, the view to the west is wide open on the sound side and the sunsets are phenomenal. There is also a lot of activity from Kite Surfers on that side, which is relatively quiet, but fun to watch. We love Rodanthe this time of year, especially if the temp is anywhere north of 60, and usually go there for New Years. However, the new grandchild has put brakes on this year's plans.

Camp Hatteras, sound side. You won't be disappointed. It is head to head with the KOA. The KOA has some slightly bigger and newer facilities, but both have great facilities overall and both rebuilt significantly after recent hurricanes.

However, bring your own entertainment. Rodanthe is much quieter than the Nags Head area and only a few stores will be open. Stock up as well, because its 15 miles to the nearest grocery in Avon.

Charlie

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #15

X2, Charlie. Great description of Camp Hatteras.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #16

Agree completely with all that the OBX is very quiet in the winter and even late Fall. We spent a week on Ocracoke in late October and drove the length of the OBX from Manteo to get ferry at Hatteras. Even at that time they were very quiet, things were closing down for the winter. Years ago we camped at the Hatteras CG many times in late Fall and early Spring but have never been there over Christmas. Enjoy, OBX is one of my favorite NC areas.
Picnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

Charlie and all,
Thanks for the comments. As a result, I booked a week right after Christmas. Will be getting oceanside, since they have closed the sound side. I have a large 5er (42 ft.), but our aim is to simply hunker down and disconnect from the world.
But when I called to reserve, the guy on the line seemed pretty friendly and accomodating. I asked how many places were booked, and he said that the good weather is bringing them in, unlike previous years.
So I guess there is an upside to global warming!
Thanks again all.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
Ambassador

[QUOTE=MOODMAN;1054763]Considering camping on the outer banks at Christmas time. The KOA is closed, but there is another one open at that time.

Has anyone stayed on the OBX at Christmas? If so, which campground? How was your experience?[/QUOTE

This is a huge campground just south of Rodanthe NC. No real trees, it does have beach access via a board walk. You aren't protected by a high dune so you will get blasted by sand if the wind gets up, as it comes in off the water this time of year. There is no shade and the sites are a bit tight. Good news is that this time of year there aren't 8 million screaming kids in golf carts terrorizing you as you go out for a casual "digestive" stroll...The rates are reasonable they range from 28 to 38 bucks this time of year plus fees depending what sites and any pets, cable, etc... Never stayed on Christmas but I have stayed there in the off season, it's a pretty quiet time of the year.

The weather next week is supposed to be in the 60's and 70's but I would take your rain jacket because the weather is super variable there because of the gulf stream just off shore.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USNC0583:1:US

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #19

We are headed to camp hatteras in early May. Can anyone recommend good oceanfront sites? Don't see numbers on there site map. Also can you choose a specific number when reserving or just a category??
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #20
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
We are headed to camp hatteras in early May. Can anyone recommend good oceanfront sites? Don't see numbers on there site map. Also can you choose a specific number when reserving or just a category??
lot of the reviews talk about people getting stuff stolen from the sound side that isn't gated. I would imagine if you call that could fix you up with a spiffy site right next to the dunes. Just do not go down to Waves campground, their dune that you have to climb over to get to the beach in ginormous. no steps or anything either just a path full of sand spurs. Frisco woods is one of my favs on the OBX because its close to the ferry to Ocracoke, and the off road office for beach driving permits is right there...and we usually catch lots of soft shell crab in the canal there...good times!

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote