Old 08-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #31
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Glade to hear all ok. What were the road conditions? How old where the tires. What rating where they? Run Nitro? Air temp? How often do you stop at Rest areas and check tires? lots of factors figure in when driving. Yep and Trailer weight.

I had two blow outs several years ago on my new tt. Yes they where the original tires furnished by FR, Nitro filled. Bad road conditions set off the first one along with 96 degree air temp. (not good) 2nd was the next day same tem. I had tt serviced for wheel repack and they over filled the tires which cause the 2nd failure. I returned home and changed all tires to Good year Marathon tire. I even transferred them to my new tt this year and told the dealer to keep the crapie ties that come with these TT. Ties where only a year old and not many miles. I also check tires every rest stop I make.

Just don't drive and never check your equip. May save you some grief down the road. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #32

i just put marathons on my cedar creek, after reading the forums i think all tires have there issues not just a certain brand.

it looks like the op drove for a bit with the flat and that why it came apart so much

Old 08-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #33

bad tires

In 2003 I bought a new Tahoe travel trailer in Texas, I left for Yellowstone Park, I blew every tire on it before I got to Yellowstone, sometimes two in one day it had Carlisle tires on it, I was not overloaded & I checked tire pressure every day. I ended up putting a set of cooper tires on it in Cody Wy. never had any more problems. The dealer stated when I got back to Texas, that I should have saved old blown tires, and they would have replaced them. I told him when you go on vacation you don't want to haul a pickup load of tires back. At that time everyone you talked to had the same problem with Carlisle tires.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #34

Blowouts

Wow this sounds so familiar! We left texas on the 27th heading for Indiana and the FROG rally. Day one- blew tire that tore out hydraulic hoses and cracked the wheel cowling. Bought a new different brand tire in next town $140. Proceeded on trip second day - boom! Another blowout. Same side. Got really worried because our tires came on our 2014 Cardinal are not worn or old and we are not overloaded. Bought new tires in Longview. Tired so spent night by lake outside of town. Woke up next morning to flat $140 replacement tire. Ugh. Was caused by road hazard and not repairable. Threw 2 day old tire in trash blow outs were Goodyear Marathon 235/80R/16 E rated. I am calling Goodyear back. They allowed $58 adjustment on one tire. If you take it off the rim they won't honor adjustment. For days we traveled with no way to put slides out or get trailer off truck.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
i just put marathons on my cedar creek, after reading the forums i think all tires have there issues not just a certain brand.

it looks like the op drove for a bit with the flat and that why it came apart so much
You don't need to drive with a flat to have the tires explode! When my tires came apart I had some friends following me in another fifth wheel and they would have definitely said something to me if any of my tires even looked flat.

If you check other forums you'll find that Marathon tires have been problems on larger rigs. Forest River was aware of the problem and for a period of time were putting Goodyear G614's on the larger fifth wheels, then suddenly stopped and left them as dealer options. (Of course, the dealers weren't going to expend the money to put them on, nor would they even offer the option.)

2014 Cardinal 3450RL
2011 Ford F350 SD DRW
F.R.O.G. Members
jackdn0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #36

well fingers crossed cause that what i put on mine was 235/80/16

i thought it was westlakes that was the problem
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #37

I had three Goodyear Marathons blowout/separate in the same day. The tires were two years old and pressure was correct. The outside temp was around 93.

Bruce
Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #38

You've convinced me to spend the money on a TPMS.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #39

I have reduced my speed to 55-60 also.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #40

after reading many posts on many forums, i choice the marathons, now i'm thinking it might have been the wrong choice