Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #41
My nephew is manager at a big Good Year dealer and after I brought him two marathon tires from our trip out and back to AZ. he said that RVs are the biggest problem tire manufactures are trying to attack. I guess the only good news is we're being heard.
I wasn't too rough on him he's 6' 9" 360lb so I gave him a little slack....

Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #42
Originally Posted by V-Lite Fun View Post
You've convinced me to spend the money on a TPMS.
On your TPMS don't make the same mistake I did. Three years ago I purchased TireMinders for my TT. They are Totally Unreliable. You have to manually scroll through to check PSI and Temp and mine would randomly lose the signal from time to time. I replaced my TireMinders with TST 507RV this year. We logged over 3,000 miles this year and they were flawless never losing a signal. While drive you don't have to push any buttons to check your PSI and Temp, every five second the unit scrolls thru every tire giving you the PSI and Temp.
Here's the TST507RV that I got:
TST 507RV 4 Wheel Towed Vehicle System w/ Cap Sens & Repeter for Sale Online - Vulcan Tire Sales

P.S. Don't forget to replace your valve stems with Steel Stems and have the tires balanced with the sensors on them. When I had my new Maxxis tires mounted we balanced one without the sensor, then again with the sensor on, it was almost .5 oz out of balance...

2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #43
One would think that someone would be smart enough to figure out why there are so many tire problems for RV owners. Can you imagine the chaos if all of those big truck rigs on the highway had problems at the same rate we seem to have with our tires. It has to be related to cost, design and quality of the products provided on these units. Sadly, I still believe that one of these days there will be quality manufacturers entering the RV market that will kill off the crappy products and limited choices currently available from the U.S. manufacturers.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #44
Best bet is to have a TPMS on your tires. That way you know in advance if the pressure drops or the temperature goes up before you have a blowout. A slipped belt can deform a tire and build up heat and cause a blow out. Your cold pressure may be OK, the failure can occur before you know it. I was pulling out of a rest area on the interstate, when I checked my mirror for traffic to merge, it looked like I had some loose lug nuts on my wheel. I checked it and everything looked OK, I had my wife pull the truck down the road a little and I saw right away that my tire was deformed. Had I not noticed the problem, I'm sure I would have had a blowout shortly after leaving the rest area. When I took the tire to the dealer to get it checked, the mechanic came running out of the shop yelling to stop rolling the tire, it was going to blow. He let the pressure out of the tire in the parking lot.

Glad now one was hurt. Everyone needs a TPMS, all the new cars & truck have them, they should put them on trailers too.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 AM   #45
We also had 2 blowouts on our way home from Disney a few years ago. Thanks to the Good Sam roadside coverage we had 2 new tires delivered to us in the middle of nowhere on interstate 5. Now running Michelin XPS RIBs.
Tires were only about 5 years old. Made in China. Blew both front tires about 100 miles apart.
2006 Cardinal 29RKLE 5th wheel
2015 Ford F-250 diesel 4X4
Tsrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #46
Just a member
Hello! Goodyear! Anybody home?
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #47
On the way home from vacation this year, our friends, who were running two year old Goodyears had a blowout, got it fixed and then 150 miles down the road, had another one blow out. He's going back at Goodyear for fixing the damages.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #48
I've had RV tire problems for a variety of reasons, on and off, for some 40 years. Here's one I haven't seen mentioned:

I had a plastic wheel well on a 5r which, just months old, had curled due to heat and age. Wasn't apparent and tire clearance looked good when sitting still, but rubbed the outside edge of the tire tread when the unit bounce on state highways. I happened to make a stop with one tire on the curb, and the trailing one off. What had previously looked to be ample clearance, was less than a finger width. Peering around at the inside of the plastic fender lip I could see faint traces of tire rubber and corresponding tread wear. Remedy was to add stays (metal braces) from the frame to the plastic fender to keep the fender where is was originally intended.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #49
Question about this topic:

I was wondering if our experience is really just a culmination of that fact that we have a group of people here that all have one common interest and we gather to discuss it, thus we see the quantity of issues here more.

Example, if I had a forum/venue where we had people talk about all tire problems they have on any vehicle, would our issue seem any larger in comparison? As I drive around, every day I see countless cars/trucks/semi with blow out damage. In fact I would submit that truckers see far more than than RVs.

Is there any truth to the idea this might just be "normal" and amplified given the venue we have to talk about it?

Just curious...
2016 Rockwood Sig. Ultra Lite 8312SS Platinum
2016 GMC Sierra 3500
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Tadi Brothers 9" Wireless 120 degree Rear Cam
2015 Nights Camped: 4
2016 Nights Camped: 8
hazmat91180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #50
I travel about 50k miles per year. About 12k of that is RV travel. In the past 20 or so years I've lost one (1) vehicle tire and five (5) RV tires that I can recall. NO. It's an RV problem, likely made worst by neglect of owners. BUT. Consider how much government action would happen if auto/truck manufacturers put those kind of tires on vehicles. Recall FIRESTONE/FORD?? It really is a RV manufacturer/supplier problem.

RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote