Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I travel about 50k miles per year. About 12k of that is RV travel. In the past 20 or so years I've lost one (1) vehicle tire and five (5) RV tires that I can recall. NO. It's an RV problem, likely made worst by neglect of owners. BUT. Consider how much government action would happen if auto/truck manufacturers put those kind of tires on vehicles. Recall FIRESTONE/FORD?? It really is a RV manufacturer/supplier problem.
It has been proven that the China bombs do not attach the tire cords. Time and time again brand to brand their quality control is not there. Out of sight out of mind is their motto.....It is not their problem once it leaves their factory and their country...

Old 08-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #52
KAS

Maybe you ran over something since it was on the same side and both tires. You're lucky you didn't lose control. Scary!!!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #53
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
One would think that someone would be smart enough to figure out why there are so many tire problems for RV owners. Can you imagine the chaos if all of those big truck rigs on the highway had problems at the same rate we seem to have with our tires. It has to be related to cost, design and quality of the products provided on these units. Sadly, I still believe that one of these days there will be quality manufacturers entering the RV market that will kill off the crappy products and limited choices currently available from the U.S. manufacturers.
Well if you think the 18 wheelers don't have this problem then how come to many alligators treads on the road. There loaded. Years ago during the fuel shortages and mandated speed limit I use to follow behind 18 wheels with CB never had issues of them blowing tires like today. Now I don't even get close unless I may get a change to pass. I've seen several blow from a distance.

Maybe we could get NASCAR drivers to test rv tires Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #54

That's a pretty dandy fix. Bet you held your breath every time you pulled the black water valve lever though.
Our blowout took the black tank out too. That was not an easy fix on the road. At least it didn't take the fender. Upon inspection, the "new" tires were dated nearly 2 years before the RV was made. This RV was a Thor product.
I never, ever follow a semi closely. Large gravel can stay stuck between duals for a long time, then let go like a bullet headed for you.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #55

Was looking at new fifth wheels Monday. Asked the salesman if the mfgr. offered an upgrade to g-rated tires. He said "yes," if I ordered the unit from the factory. Asked him if the dealer would throw in upgraded tires to seal a deal from stock. Salesman looked at me like I had a third eye.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #56

tire manufacturer concerns and tire maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I travel about 50k miles per year. About 12k of that is RV travel. In the past 20 or so years I've lost one (1) vehicle tire and five (5) RV tires that I can recall. NO. It's an RV problem, likely made worst by neglect of owners. BUT. Consider how much government action would happen if auto/truck manufacturers put those kind of tires on vehicles. Recall FIRESTONE/FORD?? It really is a RV manufacturer/supplier problem.
I have found the safercar.gov website very helpful with identifying tire and also camper issues for various manufacturers. This site enables you to see the consumer reports as well as the investigative actions being conducted by ITSA and also ensuing recall actions by various manufacturers.

I thought it might also be helpful to stress the importance of making sure the air being added to tires is DRY air. I have found the majority of truck stops and service stations do not drain the water separators on their compressors on a regular basis. When you are filling your tires with air be sure there is no moisture present at the air nozzle or you could be filling your tire with water that will cause the tire to deteriorate from the inside. I always carry a compressor with me and make my air tank is drained frequently to ensure I am always adding dry air when I check my tires. I also check the air pressure and the condition of my tires every time I hookup. Another concern is making sure your tires are covered to protect them from the sun and also not sitting in water at the camp site or while in storage. I realize this may sound redundant to the majority of RVRs but thought it might be helpful to some. Best wishes for safe travels!!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #57

My tires came filled with nitrogen as many do nowadays, however, when I need to add air where do I get the nitrogen?
Old 08-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #58

When I bought my camper there was a pamphlet entitled "NitroFill" from LionsHead that identified the benefits of nitrogen. If you go to their website www.whynitrofill.com. This site will identify dealers that can fill your tires with nitrogen if you are willing and able to drive to one of these dealers with a low tire. In the final analysis it all sounds great but in reality a tire needs to be filled with air immediately when it is low otherwise you will cause damage and risk a blowout driving with a low tire. I was told by a tire dealer that "nitrogen filled tires" are a joke because the nitrogen is released whenever you fill the tire with air.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Penny View Post
When I bought my camper there was a pamphlet entitled "NitroFill" from LionsHead that identified the benefits of nitrogen. If you go to their website www.whynitrofill.com. This site will identify dealers that can fill your tires with nitrogen if you are willing and able to drive to one of these dealers with a low tire. In the final analysis it all sounds great but in reality a tire needs to be filled with air immediately when it is low otherwise you will cause damage and risk a blowout driving with a low tire. I was told by a tire dealer that "nitrogen filled tires" are a joke because the nitrogen is released whenever you fill the tire with air.
I get mine from my Sears compressor.

Quote:
The most common gases are nitrogen (78%), oxygen (about 21%), and argon (almost 1%). Other molecules are present in the atmosphere as well, but in very small quantities. While the composition doesn't change much as you travel up through the lower layers of the atmosphere, what does change is the number of molecules.
https://www.google.com/#q=oxygen+composition
Old 08-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #60

I'm surprised that someone hasn't made an regulated adapter for Paintball Gun Nitrogen Tanks to a tire chuck. IMO since these little tanks are around 4500 psi they would be great for topping off your tires or am I crazy thinking this would work?

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote