Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Cool Observations as a New Class A owner

All my life my dream has been to own a MH and go to places and see the country.As i got older life flew by and the family responsibilities didnt allow me to follow that dream. Now the kids are older and family life has slowed down, to the point where i finally made the leap. It was agonizing in which coach to buy, who made the best for the money and did i spend my money wisely?. After several RV shows and twice almost buying a fifth wheel trailer , we settled on a Georgetown 335 DS. Had plans to park it in my driveway until some crab ass neighbor decided he was jealous and called the town on me to complain. I was given notice to move it and i did.Settling on a Storage place (which is insane cost wise) i hate having to drive some wheres to get my coach. But back to the moral of this story. I came to my MH and found my kitchen window had been broken. Possibly a stone being thrown from a grass cutter the storage facility was cutting. NP they offered to pay for the window, which surprised me as most places say read the fine print they aren't responsible for squat. So off i go to the phone book calling several glass companies and i find out getting RV glass replaced is not an easy project. So i finally talk to a place to said they can order it and will install it...to the tune of 1000.00. I said you gotta be kidding me...Nope. So i felt well i hate to do this but i have to make a Ins claim. The INS is great about it and now are working directly with RV place i bought it to get a replacement window.To the tune of 600.00. To me its insane the cost of things.Now i was under the impression just like a car when you buy it if something goes wrong with your vehicle you just call up and make an appointment and get it handled. NOT. I have found at least in my area dealerships care about 1 thing and 1 thing only...getting Coaches out the door. they care less after that and could care less about service after the sale. Which brings me to a question from a new owner...WHERE do you take a RV for mechanical work? Most ford dealers by me couldnt even get my coach in the bay...
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

I was enlightened of this dealer thing myself. Surprised me also they just don't care after they sell it to you. I have owned about 4 different TT and pop up and now my 5er. My 5er was the only new one I have bought all the others were used and I fixed them myself. Now with my new 5er I have to fix it myself also, doesn't make any since to me either. I had a few issues with my new 5er and I fixed them since the dealer couldn't or wouldn't. We love our 5er and haven't had anymore issues other than the ones it came with.
Glad to hear the storage facility is paying to fix you MH and most likely its the landscaping company that is really paying to fix it.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

We have used this website 2x and been happy both times.

RV Service Reviews
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
clr

Look up the nearest Ford truck dealership near you they will have the building and the mechanics to work on your truck. Welcome to the world of trucks no more car lanes for you but that is not all bad. You are correct some RV dealers are the pits but many are also very good you just need to find the good ones and avoid the bad. Browse this forum for the good the bad and the very bad. Good luck and happy RVing.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #5

Allzright that is a great help..thank you
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
I Break Everything

You nailed it, move them out is the game. We've had TTs and 5th wheels for a while, we purchased a 351DS about 6 months ago. I noticed a front end alignment problem. Asked around, most said to take it in regardless, because almost all MHs need that done. I call the dealer, they have to hunt and search for a place, it took months to make the repair. Most dealers don't have facilities to do the most minor repairs, and if they do...be prepared to wait, a long time. Word of advice, document everything, not just in writing, pictures, videos if necessary, dates, problems. Not everything has the same warranty, just like owning a home. Document repairs, keep all dated paperwork as well. Traveling around is super awesome, but something always seems to go aery here or there, most of it small stuff, but occasionally the big one hits, being prepared is half the battle.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

What amazes me is now that i own a MH talking to people who been in the game a long time say that's the way its always been. Im amazed the govt hasn't stepped in and made dealers be more responsive to the customer
Old 07-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
Allzright that is a great help..thank you
You're welcome!
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Work on your motorhome

I have taken my Georgetown V10 to Ford dealerships for work, however I have found that for most things on the chassis and generator, I do better taking it to my own mechanic.
If you find a really good mechanic you can trust that is the best place to have most service done. I only take it eleswhere when it is something he does not feel he can do.
My mechanic has fixed things that an RV service place could not find the problem or figure out!
msmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

Smile

after years and years of my love affair with my 1987 30 foot southwind, the nickel and dime routine finally got to me. purchased a 27RKSS and am kicking my butt for not doing it years ago. i have a 2009 2500hd 6.0 and it pulls the hell out of the tt. wife loves the extra space cause im slow and have a hard time catching her
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

Where do they take the "tractors" that haul the transport trailers for wheel alignment???? IE 18 wheelers!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

Diesel M/H Cummings Atlantis. They know all the chassis systems.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #13

I always took my tractor to a Goodyear commercial tire dealership. may be a little expensive but they are good and guarantee their work.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote