Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
In Michigan State Parks, it would not be a CG Host's job to fix a pipe, but they are supposed to help facilitate solutions to problems. Generally, in Michigan, they serve coffee and doughnuts in the a.m.s. on weekends and also host a kids' program over the weekend (usually arts and crafts). I think their contract calls for 10 hours of work a week in exchange for a free campsite. No pay beyond that. Two of our favorite state parks have regulars and they are really nice folks. We're seasonal now, so don't get to see them anymore.
I thought I was quite clear - we didn't expect him to fix it- but he could have in the weeks prior not ignored the gushing leak next to his site and reported the failure or facilitated its repair.. the thank you request was ludicrous

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #12

We've had dual experiences. Good and bad. I've found it dependent on the workload of the 'host'. Now the host could be a park ranger, a CG owner or someone in charge of guest relations. Most of the time we've been pleased with the interaction of the campground staff once we're nestled into our site. More times than not, We prefer to be left alone and if we need help we'll seek someone out and they actually do make that concerted effort to oblige right away (depending on workload of course). One thing that frosts me are the CG 'guides' that lead you to your site in their golf cart. It seems that either they travel way to fast as I'm constantly surveying the road ahead for low hanging tree limbs and garbage cans, campers vehicles, kids playing etc, or, one instance in VA, we had an employee in his golf cart actually forget we were behind him and led us around in a giant loop around the park on a dusty road(bet fellow campers loved that)right past our site heading back to the office. I have no clue where his brain was. I finally laid on the horn, scared the hell outa him and asked where are we going??
He admitted to his lapse of consciousness....

1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #13

Yes the golfcart thing is annoying. As useless as the hosts were on this trip, we always choose a Campground with a host as it cuts down on the ne'er-do-wells
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

I am hosting at a state park at this time. As hosts...we do not fix pipes....we notify the park rangers of the problem. And....I start in the am doing what is needed and work till approx. 9pm.....selling firewood....answering questions....doing bathroom checks before my day is over. I would suggest that some people try hosting sometime and see what happens to get a site for a month.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I am hosting at a state park at this time. As hosts...we do not fix pipes....we notify the park rangers of the problem. And....I start in the am doing what is needed and work till approx. 9pm.....selling firewood....answering questions....doing bathroom checks before my day is over. I would suggest that some people try hosting sometime and see what happens to get a site for a month.
I hear you!! We may try our hand at hosting one day but our "problem"
is we don't want to stay in one spot more than a month. Well.... there are
a couple places I'd like to stay longer than that but those are the cherries
and I'm sure they have lines of folks wanting to host them.

I've watched many hosts and talked to several. In most cases if you do the
math, for the cost of their site they are working for less than minimum
wage. In many cases- a lot less.
My hat's off to you!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #16

To jump in here....I really think the OP is being a bit mis-understood. I think he just washed to host to notify the teachers to get it fixed and he was right next to the host. From his first post I gather the host would've know about the leak for weeks as other campers seemed to have mentioned it...

In my brief and short Travels, must cg hosts have been great! In parks we visit in Nebraska, they help with reserved spot marking, checking sites after check out time, and it seems to be about 50/50 on whether they are supposed to clean and/or inspect rest rooms. I am only 35, and have three little ones, but the dw and I have considered hosting already. I love serving others, and meeting new people. My hats off to hosts as well.
Thanks for serving!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #17

Last year we stayed at a campground that was a self register one. To make a loonggg story short, park cleaning crew removed a campers permit, we inavertaly took it. Class c campers almost assaulted us, thank god for a campground host! When we see one now we thank them
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #18

Personally I could never Host. I enjoy camping and refer to it as a form of relaxation with family and friends and on occasion, raucous debauchery.
Now if I wanted to work, I'd just stay at work. It's not worth the headaches.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #19

Volunteers aren't thanked enough for their efforts. I wouldn't do their job, I go camping to relax. Kudos to them for doing it
Old 06-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

In defense of camp hosts (I am one!), the camp host cannot MAKE the park fix whatever it is. The camp host can bring it up, but cannot force the park to fix it. So, don't blame the camp host, unless the host has a "don't give a flip" attitude.

I've had my dinner interrupted by people needing firewood. Sometimes they apologize, but I say, "No apology, customers are important, they want what they want when they want it, and I'm here to help."

This morning, I got woken up at 6:30 AM by a camping guest who had an item stolen from their campsite during the night. I told the rangers, but I cannot MAKE the rangers do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy L. View Post
I've found that most of the hosts do what they are supposed to do (clean up the campsites, etc.) but nothing else. They stay inside their rigs watching television or often have guests over for dinner. (Nothing says "Do not disturb" better than having a dinner party.)
At the park I am hosting the ranger told me:

BE AVAILABLE
BE VISIBLE
LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE WATCHING

In addition to picking up litter, I usually make a morning run around the park and an evening run around the park, "just to see who is in what spot."

And even if I had guests or a dinner party, the customers still come first!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote