Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #1

observations on Campground hosts

Just completed a 6000 mile trip. About 20% of the hosts were helpful. For the most part they were generally useless. One site in particular had a broken water pipe to it. The neighbours said it had been broken for days before our arrival and that they had reported it several times to the host. We showed up and it was broken. Asked the ranger to get it working. Nothing on day one. Day two ask ranger again. They say (reluctantly) they will fix it in the afternoon. I see the host and mention to him the water is broken (fyi it's the site BESIDE the host - he's known about this for days if not weeks) ...

That afternoon the ranger I spoke with came and fixed the water.

That night the host walks up to me and says out of the blue "you're welcome ". The neighbors were going to kill him lol.

To the 20% who were good - thanks!!

"You're welcome" ?? Sheesh !

Try "get a different job"!
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #2

In Texas the Park Hosts are volunteers, and it may well not have been his job to fix the water pipe. (It wouldn't be his job here.) It's hard to judge if someone is useless when you don't know what they are supposed to be doing.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #3

I couldn't agree with you more. We also just got back from 6 weeks on the road and 6,000 miles. Fortunately we never ran into a situation where we actually needed a host's help.

I've found that most of the hosts do what they are supposed to do (clean up the campsites, etc.) but nothing else. They stay inside their rigs watching television or often have guests over for dinner. (Nothing says "Do not disturb" better than having a dinner party.)

The one glaring exception I've found is in Pennsylvania state parks. Without exception the hosts are extremely friendly and usually stop by shortly after we arrive to introduce themselves and ask if everything is all right. One fellow gave us a packet of information he had compiled himself about the area. Another invited us to their campsite for a campfire chat in the evening. But they are always friendly and available and in constant contact with the rangers.
Peggy L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
MI Camperz

In Michigan State Parks, it would not be a CG Host's job to fix a pipe, but they are supposed to help facilitate solutions to problems. Generally, in Michigan, they serve coffee and doughnuts in the a.m.s. on weekends and also host a kids' program over the weekend (usually arts and crafts). I think their contract calls for 10 hours of work a week in exchange for a free campsite. No pay beyond that. Two of our favorite state parks have regulars and they are really nice folks. We're seasonal now, so don't get to see them anymore.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
Just completed a 6000 mile trip. About 20% of the hosts were helpful. For the most part they were generally useless.
Wow, you really are painting with a broad brush
What you say you experienced is not the norm.
As others have said, most hosts have minimal repair duties.
We've found the vast majority of hosts to be pleasant, courteous and
over worked!
Also as mentioned most hosting jobs are so many hours required in exchange
for "free" camp site. Sometimes the host site will have more hookups than
the others as a perk for doing bathroom duty and trash pick-up.

I don't doubt there are jerks out there doing hosting jobs but they are
in the minority.
We just spent 3 days at Mammoth Cave NP campground and the hosts
were on duty from daylight to after dark every day.
I hope they had some free time during the day! They looked like they
were working pretty hard for that "free" campsite!
We saw the same thing in Feb at St. Andrews SP in FL panhandle. Those
guys were up early every day cleaning bathrooms and picking up trash.
After one very windy night they spent several hours shoveling out the
board walk!

We plan to host a little one day after DW retires..... maybe we'll see
you on the road!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Maybe they shouldn't be called hosts if they take no responsibility for the enjoyment of others and merely a working for a free campsite. My experience has not been stellar with hosts either, most camping trips I've never once made contact with a host, they've never checked on my or struck a conversation, they've never strolled the park or grounds and checked on things, they've been holed up in their site not interacting with anyone. If that's the case, then the term "host" is misapplied.

My expectation is that any guest can bring any issue to any staff and expect it to be resolved directly or that person will take the issue to someone who can resolve it. I don't have any patience for the "it's not my job" people. The guests cannot be expected to know the job for all the staff, that's the staff's job.

I don't mean to rant too much here, but I'm pretty tired of people who voluntarily take service oriented jobs and then do not provide the service. This is a service industry, if you don't want to take care of the needs of others, find another job. Period.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

I've hosted several times. I find the lack of communication is the biggest problem and it is so avoidable! How hard is it to just keep people informed? Most people are understanding, if you are at least trying. If I hosted, expecting a metal for every time I went above and beyond, I would be disappointed, but I do it because I like to and a smile is pretty good pay! If you have a bad experience, do you inform the manager... most parks have a way to report problems, concerns or suggestions... or if you have a good experience do you do the same? If not, you are not part of the solution and you could be.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Alleged curmudgeon

Yeah, we should probably put down the broad brush. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the campground hosts I've observed or with whom I have interacted. I do understand how they might appear invisible at times, but have always understood them to essentially be fellow campers serving in a volunteer capacity. Like most people in campgrounds, they probably are pretty aware that most campers are usually not looking to be pestered. I'm sure the duties vary from state to state and campground to campground. In Michigan, what bodzcampers described above is about the norm at our state parks. Therefore, in most cases, I view the hosts as serving more of an "information desk" role, and as a resource in a pinch. I remember at Van Buren S.P. over Memorial Day weekend 2012 being absolutely impressed and astonished at the herculean effort of the CG Host, who spent his entire Memorial Day at the dump station helping folks keep the lines moving, using his own equipment, directing traffic, stepping in where needed. I definitely can understand the frustration the original poster described with a dysfunctional water service. However, if a camper wants to be coddled and waited on, maybe a hotel reservation with a concierge is a better option than a campground with a volunteer host. JMHO.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Maybe they shouldn't be called hosts if they take no responsibility for the enjoyment of others and merely a working for a free campsite.

I don't mean to rant too much here, but I'm pretty tired of people who voluntarily take service oriented jobs and then do not provide the service. This is a service industry, if you don't want to take care of the needs of others, find another job. Period.
Most of the volunteer hosts we've met on our travels are really nice people. You need to remember that they're usually required to work a minimum of 4-5+ hours per day for that free $25 site. They host because they enjoy meeting/helping people, not for any financial reward.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Camper Less Camping

I commend the people who do this line of work (volunteering), I know it won't be for me when I get to retirement years but do enjoy seeing the camp host @ each campground we visit

Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
In Michigan State Parks, it would not be a CG Host's job to fix a pipe, but they are supposed to help facilitate solutions to problems. Generally, in Michigan, they serve coffee and doughnuts in the a.m.s. on weekends and also host a kids' program over the weekend (usually arts and crafts). I think their contract calls for 10 hours of work a week in exchange for a free campsite. No pay beyond that. Two of our favorite state parks have regulars and they are really nice folks. We're seasonal now, so don't get to see them anymore.
I thought I was quite clear - we didn't expect him to fix it- but he could have in the weeks prior not ignored the gushing leak next to his site and reported the failure or facilitated its repair.. the thank you request was ludicrous
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

We've had dual experiences. Good and bad. I've found it dependent on the workload of the 'host'. Now the host could be a park ranger, a CG owner or someone in charge of guest relations. Most of the time we've been pleased with the interaction of the campground staff once we're nestled into our site. More times than not, We prefer to be left alone and if we need help we'll seek someone out and they actually do make that concerted effort to oblige right away (depending on workload of course). One thing that frosts me are the CG 'guides' that lead you to your site in their golf cart. It seems that either they travel way to fast as I'm constantly surveying the road ahead for low hanging tree limbs and garbage cans, campers vehicles, kids playing etc, or, one instance in VA, we had an employee in his golf cart actually forget we were behind him and led us around in a giant loop around the park on a dusty road(bet fellow campers loved that)right past our site heading back to the office. I have no clue where his brain was. I finally laid on the horn, scared the hell outa him and asked where are we going??
He admitted to his lapse of consciousness....
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #13

Yes the golfcart thing is annoying. As useless as the hosts were on this trip, we always choose a Campground with a host as it cuts down on the ne'er-do-wells
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #14

I am hosting at a state park at this time. As hosts...we do not fix pipes....we notify the park rangers of the problem. And....I start in the am doing what is needed and work till approx. 9pm.....selling firewood....answering questions....doing bathroom checks before my day is over. I would suggest that some people try hosting sometime and see what happens to get a site for a month.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I am hosting at a state park at this time. As hosts...we do not fix pipes....we notify the park rangers of the problem. And....I start in the am doing what is needed and work till approx. 9pm.....selling firewood....answering questions....doing bathroom checks before my day is over. I would suggest that some people try hosting sometime and see what happens to get a site for a month.
I hear you!! We may try our hand at hosting one day but our "problem"
is we don't want to stay in one spot more than a month. Well.... there are
a couple places I'd like to stay longer than that but those are the cherries
and I'm sure they have lines of folks wanting to host them.

I've watched many hosts and talked to several. In most cases if you do the
math, for the cost of their site they are working for less than minimum
wage. In many cases- a lot less.
My hat's off to you!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #16

To jump in here....I really think the OP is being a bit mis-understood. I think he just washed to host to notify the teachers to get it fixed and he was right next to the host. From his first post I gather the host would've know about the leak for weeks as other campers seemed to have mentioned it...

In my brief and short Travels, must cg hosts have been great! In parks we visit in Nebraska, they help with reserved spot marking, checking sites after check out time, and it seems to be about 50/50 on whether they are supposed to clean and/or inspect rest rooms. I am only 35, and have three little ones, but the dw and I have considered hosting already. I love serving others, and meeting new people. My hats off to hosts as well.
Thanks for serving!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #17

Last year we stayed at a campground that was a self register one. To make a loonggg story short, park cleaning crew removed a campers permit, we inavertaly took it. Class c campers almost assaulted us, thank god for a campground host! When we see one now we thank them
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #18

Personally I could never Host. I enjoy camping and refer to it as a form of relaxation with family and friends and on occasion, raucous debauchery.
Now if I wanted to work, I'd just stay at work. It's not worth the headaches.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #19

Volunteers aren't thanked enough for their efforts. I wouldn't do their job, I go camping to relax. Kudos to them for doing it
Old 06-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

In defense of camp hosts (I am one!), the camp host cannot MAKE the park fix whatever it is. The camp host can bring it up, but cannot force the park to fix it. So, don't blame the camp host, unless the host has a "don't give a flip" attitude.

I've had my dinner interrupted by people needing firewood. Sometimes they apologize, but I say, "No apology, customers are important, they want what they want when they want it, and I'm here to help."

This morning, I got woken up at 6:30 AM by a camping guest who had an item stolen from their campsite during the night. I told the rangers, but I cannot MAKE the rangers do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy L. View Post
I've found that most of the hosts do what they are supposed to do (clean up the campsites, etc.) but nothing else. They stay inside their rigs watching television or often have guests over for dinner. (Nothing says "Do not disturb" better than having a dinner party.)
At the park I am hosting the ranger told me:

BE AVAILABLE
BE VISIBLE
LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE WATCHING

In addition to picking up litter, I usually make a morning run around the park and an evening run around the park, "just to see who is in what spot."

And even if I had guests or a dinner party, the customers still come first!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote