Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Patches, you sound exactly like the folks we'd like hosting campgrounds we visit! Hats off to you folks for going above and beyond!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Originally Posted by archham View Post
Have not had much experience with hosts in the past, they have been present at some places we have been but no real contact with them until this weekend at Tanglewood Park in Winston Salem NC. There are probably 40 sites here and about 4 hosts. They greeted us when we pulled in, offered to lead us to our site (which was just a row over); helped me back in, and then offered assistance. He came by later to make sure everything was working, including the wi fi. We have wi fi, I asked? He even had the password memorized.... Then he said that if we need anything just hold up a pie and he would be right over!
We are about 20 minutes from Tanglewood. Do they have sewer at the sites?
Close to you is Oak Hollow Lake campground. We had a nice long holiday weekend there on Labor Day weekend. Ever camped there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak-Hollow-Lake-High-Point.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40382  

Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
We were camping up on the mountain at a remote site and I had a flat tire on my Polaris Ranger. Had a spare but no wrench or socket to fit the lug nuts (deep 16mm or 9/16"). So I drove a couple miles over to a HF campground and the camp ground host dug through his tool kits and came up with what I needed. Great guy who hosts mountain top sites in the summer and low desert sites in the winter here in Arizona.
2016 RAM 1500 - 2016 Keystone Laredo 265SRK
The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Had a GREAT experience at Shenandoah State Park VA, Don Harper and his wife Iness were wonderful hosts. They even had the same 5th we have! Always up early getting things done and keeping the park clean and tidy. They say only 15-20 hr a week but I know they put in more than that. They are great and they always try to host same time frame every year. Late summer/early fall.
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Tanglewood is full hookup and very nice. We are probably 20 min from Oak Hollow and i have never been there!
2012 Puma 30FQSS
2005 Ford F-250 Super Crew 6.0 PSD
2003 Honda Odyssey
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
We were up at Eagle lake a few weeks ago in N. CA with a group of 7 rigs. A member of our party had a medical emergency and we had no cell coverage. The camp host radioed for help, rallied other hosts to direct the emergency response to the site and were flat out awesome in every respect. Most of the hosts we meet are pretty good to really helpful with just a few yahoo's.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
The host we had at Chalet RV park this year was very nice, took up to our site made sure we were parked the way we wanted to be and then offered to help level and hookup the connections.

Did you know that 27 feet of rg6 cable is about 6 feet too short.

Called the host and he brought over some he had along with a coupler.

We also know a couple who host every year all season long.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
I am sure most campgrou d hosts are fantastic and very helpful. If you live in Mass and don't work for the state, or are somehoow have friends in the know. Forget it. The system is totally abused.
Steve & Betsy
2017 DYNAMAX Isata 3
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Travelers 500,000+
Michigan has great Host!!

We camped in several Michigan State Parks this season. In two different parks, we ended having the same hosts. Talk about great people! They made sure we were welcome and even remembered us. Not to hard to forget two fat ladies, with a big 34' Rockwood! Had problems parking in between the sand in Muskegon and Bill one of the host, just said, slow down and relax! Some could be friendlier and those you know are in it for the free camping. But ones like Bill and Mary Lou in Michigan, they are great!

Mary B and Ann S
Known as the Mermaids
(Retired )
Michigan Campers/Travelers
Days camped in 2015 145
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote