Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

observations on Campground hosts part two

We're out again - almost full timers at this rate.

Our latest experience s have been so wonderful. Hosts at today's destination ( state park ) are exceptional! One even played the banjo (really well!!) for all the kids riding by.

There's hope yet! ! Our faith has been renewed!
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

Wow for all the people who cared about hosts they sure have disappeared!
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
Wow for all the people who cared about hosts they sure have disappeared!
It's a weekend- be patient, young Jedi!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

I'm hosting! My experience is that camping guests like to know the host is "there," but they don't want the host "in their face." But boy, when they come to the host, they want love and kindness and no hassles. I try to do that. But!! If the arrogant machismo B***head ranger gives you a ticket, the camp host can not help you. I actually had a camping guest come to me because they were mad at getting a ticket from the arrogant, machismo b***head ranger (who was actually a very nice guy!). I couldn't believe it when the person asked me if I had any "power and influence" with anyone!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #5

We had fantastic hosts this weekend at the state park we were in, came by several times just to say hi and make sure everything was ok. If you ever stay at Cumberland Mountain State Park, loop 3 has great hosts!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

The hosts are not always the mostess. We are in a State park in Mass right now. I won't disclose it but I will post pictures and a detailed explanation of this later. The host site has a 30+ year old camper and three generations of family member in the camper, plus two dogs and every single one of the grandchildrens outdoor toys. They also have tarps covering more toys, a few resin tables and chaairs scattered about the campsite. Our yeah and they have plastic baby gates everywhere to keep the dogs and the littleones from escaping. This mornong, the grandmother went out to pick cans from the dumpsters and when the kids woke up, they drove the battery operated truck around to pick up the left behind firewood from the campsites near them. I guess that was their part of picking up. They are burning furniture now. They have no clue. But they have state polce stickers on their cars so they must knownsomebody. Their campsite looks like a rednecks front yard. The only thing missing is a sunken bathtub flower pot. What a bunch of Morons.

The best part? Oh yeah, they can stay here all summer, looks like they already have and then some. Just a bunch of trailer park trash giving the rest of us a bad reputation and working the system. And............this is not the first year they have been here. Can't wait to post the pics.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Cousin Eddie and kin?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
H2oski

Last week we spent 3 days at Top Sail SP Destin, FL and 3 days at Ft Pickens FP Pensacola, FL and both had GREAT campground host.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

Believe it or not there seems to be a shortage of campground hosts. Both on state, and federal lands. We are hosting for the first time in a federal park, and like it a lot. The feds treat their volunteers better than most state parks do. As CG hosts we are in charge of fee compliance only. However, to get our volunteer hour requirement of 32 hours a week, we also take care of cleaning the camp sites, and gardening. There are volunteer maintenance hosts who are supposed to do the cleaning, but they don't come into our area. I told them we would do it. Between my wife and I, we volunteer about 55 hours a week. We meet, and greet every visitor that comes through. Our motto on campground rules/regulations is that we don't care as long as nothing gets vandalized, stolen, and/or no complaints are registered by campers about other campers. You get a complaint, I come and discuss it with you. Get a second complaint, and I call a park ranger, and they remove you from park. Pretty cut and dried. Two biggest complaints we get are loud generators after quiet time, and dogs not on a leash. Since we retired, of the 10 state parks we have volunteered at so far, we have a 99.8 % approval rate from the parks' supervisors. You come into our campground you get a clean site, a clean grill, fire pit, and table. Need info on the area, we have it. You want a cold beer, or soda, we have those too. Fire wood? Yeah, that too, when available. Help with your RV? Yep, as much as I can. We are not allowed to accept tips either. We just like doing our volunteer work.

Of course with today's economy as it is, you will see folks who are not well off hosting at some parks just to have some place to live. Also, you will see retirees, who are grand parents raising their grand children, who are living off the grid just to make ends meet. The better volunteers have income. The not so good volunteers don't have, or have very little income. Just the way it is.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #10

Have not had much experience with hosts in the past, they have been present at some places we have been but no real contact with them until this weekend at Tanglewood Park in Winston Salem NC. There are probably 40 sites here and about 4 hosts. They greeted us when we pulled in, offered to lead us to our site (which was just a row over); helped me back in, and then offered assistance. He came by later to make sure everything was working, including the wi fi. We have wi fi, I asked? He even had the password memorized.... Then he said that if we need anything just hold up a pie and he would be right over!
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Patches, you sound exactly like the folks we'd like hosting campgrounds we visit! Hats off to you folks for going above and beyond!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by archham View Post
Have not had much experience with hosts in the past, they have been present at some places we have been but no real contact with them until this weekend at Tanglewood Park in Winston Salem NC. There are probably 40 sites here and about 4 hosts. They greeted us when we pulled in, offered to lead us to our site (which was just a row over); helped me back in, and then offered assistance. He came by later to make sure everything was working, including the wi fi. We have wi fi, I asked? He even had the password memorized.... Then he said that if we need anything just hold up a pie and he would be right over!
We are about 20 minutes from Tanglewood. Do they have sewer at the sites?
Close to you is Oak Hollow Lake campground. We had a nice long holiday weekend there on Labor Day weekend. Ever camped there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oak-Hollow-Lake-High-Point.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	40382  
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #13

We were camping up on the mountain at a remote site and I had a flat tire on my Polaris Ranger. Had a spare but no wrench or socket to fit the lug nuts (deep 16mm or 9/16"). So I drove a couple miles over to a HF campground and the camp ground host dug through his tool kits and came up with what I needed. Great guy who hosts mountain top sites in the summer and low desert sites in the winter here in Arizona.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #14

Had a GREAT experience at Shenandoah State Park VA, Don Harper and his wife Iness were wonderful hosts. They even had the same 5th we have! Always up early getting things done and keeping the park clean and tidy. They say only 15-20 hr a week but I know they put in more than that. They are great and they always try to host same time frame every year. Late summer/early fall.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #15

Tanglewood is full hookup and very nice. We are probably 20 min from Oak Hollow and i have never been there!
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #16

We were up at Eagle lake a few weeks ago in N. CA with a group of 7 rigs. A member of our party had a medical emergency and we had no cell coverage. The camp host radioed for help, rallied other hosts to direct the emergency response to the site and were flat out awesome in every respect. Most of the hosts we meet are pretty good to really helpful with just a few yahoo's.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #17

The host we had at Chalet RV park this year was very nice, took up to our site made sure we were parked the way we wanted to be and then offered to help level and hookup the connections.

Did you know that 27 feet of rg6 cable is about 6 feet too short.

Called the host and he brought over some he had along with a coupler.

We also know a couple who host every year all season long.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

I am sure most campgrou d hosts are fantastic and very helpful. If you live in Mass and don't work for the state, or are somehoow have friends in the know. Forget it. The system is totally abused.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Travelers 500,000+

Michigan has great Host!!

We camped in several Michigan State Parks this season. In two different parks, we ended having the same hosts. Talk about great people! They made sure we were welcome and even remembered us. Not to hard to forget two fat ladies, with a big 34' Rockwood! Had problems parking in between the sand in Muskegon and Bill one of the host, just said, slow down and relax! Some could be friendlier and those you know are in it for the free camping. But ones like Bill and Mary Lou in Michigan, they are great!
Michigan Campers/Travelers
Days camped in 2015 145
Murmaids is offline   Reply With Quote