Old 06-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #21
Site Team
For me it was a matter of having the technology explained in terms I could understand. I could read the manual many time only to end up saying "What?" before scratching my head. I don't always comprehend everything I read.

I also tend to be more of visual person so reading can have it limits. I do know that answers provided on forums are in print which requires reading but this goes back to the first line in this post.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #22
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid
My family laughs at me because I study the owner's manual before I use any newly acquired "gadget" big or small............then when they can't make something happen, and I can, they ask, "How'd you know to do that?"

I remember going out fishing right after "ice out" with the ole man. After lauching and pulling the starter rope about 300 times, he was exhausted and frustrated with his 20 yr old 5 HP outboard:

When's the last time you pulled and cleaned the spark plug? sez I.

Spark plug? wuz his chagrinned reply.

Our new FR RV had a nice yellow paper listing all the appliances and gadgets installed....FR factory personnel had enter the serial# next to the model # for EVERYTHING!

If I couldn't find a hard copy manual to match an item....I searched by company name, went to the website, and easily found a PDF file for everything!...then either noted the website, or printed off the pages I felt I needed for future reference.

If you buy a used RV, ask for any manuals....frankly, if the first owner didn't bother with saving them, and cannot produce receipts for repairs by others......I'd make them wait while I personally verified everything worked as they claimed......cause that's the sort of owner who'll forget to tell you about things that are broken, often through failure to follow the simple routine maintanence steps given in the back of the manual.

Once you have your new acquisition yourself the favor of crawling around with a good flashlight and pad n pencil to record the make and model of all appliances. Then search the internet. You'll be amazed how responsible the better companies are about maintaining an archive of manuals for older models!!!

This having been said......go ahead and ask your questions on the's a fine way to clarify your understanding....and provides some of us with a lot of laughs reading good intentioned responses that are either "off point"...."totally wrong" ..... "or just enough to get you in trouble."

By the end of the string you'll manage to sort out the best advice.....(it will make sense and will be supported by 2 or 3 other similar posts that will cite their manual) .....from the chaff (these usually receive a quick respose that starts something like...."that approach surprises me" because the person's too polite to say, "Wow! And you haven't lost an eyebrow, a finger, or the use of major portions of your autonomic nervous system yet?"

You'll find the answer's a good forum.

But I must agree with the original poster, the best single source is available for the looking's the manual! The forum's more fun, but the manual often talks not only about "turning the sumbitch on" but about how simple maintenace (like cleaning that spark plug yearly and replacing it peiodically) with keep the many components of your RV working safely and reliably. You owe it to yourself, your pocket book, and your loved ones to "make sure you know what you need to know".

sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
Observation on Forum Questions

My manuals were horrible. Yes I read them. Important information was either missing or not included at all. I have learned so much from this forum it is incredible. I am relatively new to RVing about 10 years or less. I am still learning. Thanks to all the experts out ther who have helped me.
rockyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #24
Site Team
LOL - I'm still trying to figure out how to set the microwave power setting for less than full power. I have read the manual about a dozen times and had it figured out once but now I can't remember nor can I see the *answer* in the manual. Guess there's more reading to be done on my July camping trip.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
I've read through all of our manuals and still had alot of unanswered questions. the manuals are too generic. Such as, finding the location of our water pump. Forest River manual doesn't tell you where it is. The actual manual for the water pump doesn't tell you where it is. I found out from this forum that I had to take the back wall panel from my storage area off to get at it.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:43 PM   #26
manuals are put together by 'technical writers' and they may as well speak Greek and use petroglyphs!!!
and a help me question finds more contributors if they be specific in the 'subjet' box: ie: 2006 Salem 23t, monitor panel dead
HotKreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #27
Every time this topic comes up the most common answer is usually RTFM Read The Fine Manual

I had a Trailmanor TT and now an FR Solera MH. In both cases the documentation was weak. Before I retired, if I wrote software documentation like I see for RVs I would have been more than scolded.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2013 Forest River Solera 24R
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #28
Well, from my perspective, there are 4 reasons why I'm here. 1. I have a new for me TT after trading up from an "A" frame pop up. 2. The walk through at dealership was crammed with info. 3. I didn't get any manuals. 4. To me, and most important, I enjoy hearing what everyone else has experienced... I like the sharing and commradery this forum creates.
Ford F-150 4X4
2015 Flagstaff Micro Lite FRBS
2013 Flagstaff "A" Frame - Traded Up.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
I just read and re-read my manual on my smoker trying to figure out what to do with 2 extra pieces. Turns out the manual was written in general terms for more models and once I found a website that explained my unit, the pieces found their home. I have found this true with our TT and asking a question here helped solve our problem.
Bonnie and Rich
Winston (Rat Terrier)
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #30
My DW retired from teaching school. Her #1challenge was to get her students to read and follow directions. You all have seen the test of 10 questions. The directions are clearly stated at the top of test. The last line of directions says to turn test sheet over and sign your name. 99.999% of all people taking the test just started answering the questions and therefore failed. Directions clearly state do not answer questions, just turn over and sign.

Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote