Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #11

Found out today my plants are going to be another week. The plant guy gave me the option of getting what he had in stock right now or waiting for his new stock. He told me his new "spring" stock would be of higher quality. Trying to figure out if I've been snowed yet..................

Such is life. What's another week when I've been waiting over 3??

Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #12

A friend told me yesterday that owning an aquarium is the fastest way to learn patience.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #13

Greg,
Nice BIG Aquarium.

We had an Aquarium once. Had lots of pretty fishys. Watching the fish and hearing the bubbles from the air pump was very soothing.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #14

Plants!!!!!

Got my plants today!! Man, there were a lot. The plant guy that I had been talking with had told me that since I was willing to wait an extra week he would throw in some extras and he wasn't lying. I got about 7 extra plants in the deal and 3 of them were some relatively expensive ones.

Here are the latest pics. The first one is of all the stuff I got with the plants still in the zip-lock baggies and the fertilizer and other $ necessary stuff. The second is the tank planted. Water is still cloudy as I stirred up a lot and also added some "substrate gold" to the gravel. This stuff was a mess. It came in a semi powder form. I had to mix with water, form into 1/2 inch balls and bake at 300 deg for 20 min. Then place one ball near each plant under the existing gravel. It's some kinda clay/long-term release fert (I think).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 062smalle.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 065small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 067small.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	197  
Old 05-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #15

I have have finally added fish to the tank “fancy” male guppies which are a flippin blast to watch. My girlies have them all named (I have no idea how they can keep up with them). These little dudes are FAST. They are in heaven as far as I can tell. After being cooped up in the LFS 10 gal tank with about 40 others they currently have free reign in a 55 gal with just the 7 of em. So far water is still good but it’s still a scosh cloudy (it’s clearing up slowly). Planning on a partial water change today, probably 5-10 gallons. Next round of fishes this weekend. The little ladies want some glass catfish and after reading up on them they prefer a well planted tank like I’ve got. I’ll probably get around 7 of these as well. Who knows what the following week will bring. My wife really liked some Dalmatian something or another fish we saw at the LFS so that’ll prob be next after the glass catfish.

Soon as I get round to it I’ll post some more pics.

greg

Old 05-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #16

Update

On a sad note, we have lost 3 of the guppies to something and we are not sure exactly. Lost 2 Tuesday night and 1 Wednesday night. We are thinking a combo of shock moving to a new environment and not eating (or getting fed) enough.

But on a happier note we still have 4 and they are looking great! The water is now crystal clear and all the chemistry is perfect. The Plants are kicking but and producing O2 for the fishes to breath. Neat watching bubbles form on the plants and surface.

More fish will be added this weekend.

Pics to follow.

greg
Old 05-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #17

Update 26May07

Purchased some more fish today.

6 dalmation mollys
3 chinese algae eaters
1 dojo loach

1 of the mollys twern't doing to well so I scooped him up and placed in a mason jar with aquarium water. I feed him and watched him. He was looking bad so I placed him in a quart zip-loc with some water and stuck him in the freezer to ease his pain.

Everybody else is doing awesome as of now. ALL fish are eating and playing. The loach from what I'm told is a night stalker bottom feeder so he hasn't been doing a whole lot but he does swim around a bit.

1 of the mollys (the fish dude said it was a female) is proving to be the Boss Lady over the other mollys. She is a georgous fish.

Next few days I'll keep an extra close eye on the fish and water quality.

greg
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #18

latest pic.

Everybody still swimmin!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquarium28may07.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	227