Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Question Offset Backing to the Right - when/why?

I'm looking at the licensing requirements in the state of Maryland. They have a pretty helpful Motorhome/Recreational Vehicle Guide.

In the guide, it describes their "Basic Control Skills Testing". The straight line backing is straight-(get it!)-forward. 12' wide lane, you have to reverse 100' without straying. My only beef with this is that it's further than most real-life situations. But, I can understand it.

My confusion comes from the "Offset Backing to the Right" skills test:
Quote:
You will drive forward (straight ahead) to the boundary line and stop your vehicle. When instructed, you will back your vehicle into the opposite lane until the front of your vehicle has passed the first set of cones.
I couldn't quite envision this, so I went to . I now understand WHAT it is.

But why/how is this useful in the real world? I mean, yes - occassionally at a campsite, I need to move the camper to the left or right by a foot. But, I'm certainly not going to pull forward a hundred feet and do it from there.

Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm looking at the licensing requirements in the state of Maryland. They have a pretty helpful Motorhome/Recreational Vehicle Guide.

In the guide, it describes their "Basic Control Skills Testing". The straight line backing is straight-(get it!)-forward. 12' wide lane, you have to reverse 100' without straying. My only beef with this is that it's further than most real-life situations. But, I can understand it.

My confusion comes from the "Offset Backing to the Right" skills test:

I couldn't quite envision this, so I went to . I now understand WHAT it is.

But why/how is this useful in the real world? I mean, yes - occassionally at a campsite, I need to move the camper to the left or right by a foot. But, I'm certainly not going to pull forward a hundred feet and do it from there.

Thoughts? Opinions? Witty commentary?
What if you were stopped100' past an exit ramp on the highway because of a closure, and a patrolman instructed you to either back up and exit, or sit there for the night? Oh, and you had to change lanes.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think they just want you comfortably with backing on your blind side.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Ok, good input from both of you. The other scenario I thought of was parking at a truck stop and deciding to move to the parking spot beside where you were (which, I actually was less than stellar when I parked a couple of times... cough, cough, point made?, cough).

Tags
backing up, license, maryland