Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Chris and Sara

Oh no!!!

So last night we stayed at the Paducah KOA and they decided to burn a bunch of limbs from an ice storm they had. I get to Gatlinburg this evening and find 2 burn holes in my awning!! My first night camping in my trailer and my awning is ruined!! I have taken pictures and left them a voicemail to call me back. This could get ugly!! I got up and checked the rubber roof and it looks fine. Man I'm sick, and trying to not let it ruin our first trip.!!

2004 F-150 with Tow Package
2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

renegaderailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #2

I know you want new if possible.But if you have no luck there is patch kits out there for the awning fabric.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
That is almost beyond belief!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Chris and Sara

Yeah, they had an ice storm back in the winter time. They had piled a 20-25' high pile of brush about 150-200 ft from the campers and about 10:00 at night they decided to light it on fire!! The embers were flying into the air. his mornng it looked like a volcano had went off, there was ash everywhere!! I have already sent an email to KOA corporate to see what they say. Hey cat1956, my awning looks like it's a rubber material, is there still a patch for it?

2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #5

KOA damaged your awning and for that you should expect to be made "whole" I wouldn't stand for a patch job but new fabric! What an utterly poor decision on the part of the KOA management. If you get no response or an unacceptable response from them then go to Trailer Life magazine and appeal to their help section there where they intervene on your behalf, it can do wonders.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegaderailfan View Post
. Hey cat1956, my awning looks like it's a rubber material, is there still a patch for it?
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/search...29&search.y=11
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
bigdaddy1

I hope that things work out for you, but remember to have fun on your vacation What do you think of the campground and the mountain stream?

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Chris and Sara

Jellystone in Gatlinburg has saved my vacation!!! The family that owns this place is awesome!! From the moment we checked in we felt welcomed, they lead us to our site, and backed us in telling me turn left, now turn right!! They made it easy. Didn't leave until we were level and setup. Tonight a couple cam in from South Carolina. He left his trailer keys at home, and the owner's fifth wheel door key got him in. The stream is great, 10 feet from our bedroom window, tonight they had a movie in their Yogi theater, just a cool place!!

2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

Old 06-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
bigdaddy1

I totally agree! My dw and I had site 34 and we just did not want to leave. Have fun!

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
Chris and Sara

Well here is the letter that I sent off today to the Good Sams action line. Neither the park owners or KOA corporate have offered to help me!!

Dear Good Sam Action Line,

On June 6, 2009 I checked into the KOA campground in Calvert City, Kentucky. (Kentucky Lake/I-24/Paducah KOA 4793 US Highway 62 Calvert City, KY 42029). This campground received a damaging ice storm over the winter. I was advised of this by the owner at the time of check in, when he was parking me. They had a tree contractor working in their park on this date cleaning up limbs from the ice storm. At approximately 9:00 PM, the tree crew lit an extremely large pile of limbs on fire to dispose of them (15-20 feet tall, and approximately 10-15 feet in diameter pile). I noticed the bright glow of this fire while walking my dog before bed. The pile was located approximately 75 feet from our camp site. At this time I noticed a large amount of glowing embers floating in the air around our parking spot. The next morning, when I stepped outside, there was a large amount of gray ash and black soot all over my trailer and truck. My trailer, by the way is a brand new 2009 travel trailer, and this was our very first night on the road with it. I know for a fact that the damage was not there prior to my arrival at this KOA. The morning of June 7, 2009 I stopped in at the front desk to advise management of the fire, and the huge mess that it had caused on my property. The manager simply stated that the tree crews only had a limited amount of time to work, and that burning was the best way of disposal. I then proceeded to drive another 380 miles to Gatlinburg,Tn. Upon arrival at my destination, I unrolled my awning to discover two burn holes in it from the previous night’s fire. I immediately notified the KOA in Ky. of this, and their only response was that they would need to see the damage before they could turn it in to their insurance provider. I advised them that this would not be possible because of my distance from them, and my travel plans did not warrant going back to KY. I want total reimbursement for my awning fabric and installation costs involved. I also feel that it is important to note that I contacted the corporate office of KOA by email, and via their customer survey that I received after my stay, and was never contacted by them either. I have attached date stamped pictures of the damage for your review. I have an estimate from my dealer Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa to replace the fabric of $491.68.

2009 Flagstaff 829 FKSS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch

Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #11

Good luck,Keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #12

Keep us posted, I think you will get good results. I hate it happened to you, first trip luck, it is always something. Have a good one.
Burr Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote