Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Oh oh!!!

Okay me thinks I screwed up big time. We store our 5th wheel off premise at a location with no power. Last weekend we took 8 Girl Scouts to the KOA for the weekend and the camper came home a mess. I took my little generator 1800 watt down so I could supply power to the camper do I could clean it. I started to vacuum and the circuit blew. Some how it al came back on but blew again. and I realized the electric water heater was on. I shut it off it all restarted and I was good. At some point I turned the refrigerator on so the light would light and j could see to clean it. That done I was again running the vacuum GAin and lost the power (I forgot the fridge was on auto ). I was unable to get power back on in the camper. I checked the breakers Alls good generator is putting out power I checked that too. Did I screw up royally or am i missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Check breaker/reset on generator? Are other 110v items working (microwave, TV etc?)

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #3

Nothing works no micro no ceiling fan etc. I ran a cord from the generator and had power to run the vacuum. (Apparently I really wanted to vacuum)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aca651 View Post
Okay me thinks I screwed up big time. We store our 5th wheel off premise at a location with no power. Last weekend we took 8 Girl Scouts to the KOA for the weekend and the camper came home a mess. I took my little generator 1800 watt down so I could supply power to the camper do I could clean it. I started to vacuum and the circuit blew. Some how it al came back on but blew again. and I realized the electric water heater was on. I shut it off it all restarted and I was good. At some point I turned the refrigerator on so the light would light and j could see to clean it. That done I was again running the vacuum GAin and lost the power (I forgot the fridge was on auto ). I was unable to get power back on in the camper. I checked the breakers Alls good generator is putting out power I checked that too. Did I screw up royally or am i missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The part about (8 GS) leaving the Camper a MESS or the Elect Issue is the Question? Did they get their (Patch for Housekeeping)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The part about (8 GS) leaving the Camper a MESS or the Elect Issue is the Question? Did they get their (Patch for Housekeeping)? Youroo!!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
clr

Tell me you had water in the hot water heater. If you did not have water in the hot water heater you have burned out the element in the hot water heater. Many times when the element burns out it will short out that of course would cause the breaker to pop. turn the breaker off for the electric hot water heater and see if the main pops. If it does not pop you may of fount your problem.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Yes water in heater. Circuit never blew I was concerned perhaps I damaged something else.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
Director, FROG

As dcheatwood suggested, check the breaker on the generator itself. Also check the breakers on your inverter/converter.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #9

You may have tripped the GFI. You should have an outlet somewhere with a GFI reset on it. Try resetting that and see if problem is solved.
jstrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 PM   #10

Have them start selling dozens of GS cookies to help pay your repair. They owe that to you..
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote