Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #1

Oklahoma City tornado at local RV park

A local RV park here in Oklahoma City was hit by a tornado yesterday. There were about 65 RV's completely totaled. Luckily no one was killed but there we many injuries. As we are all RV enthusiasts here, I would ask that we keep these families in our thoughts and prayers.
I stayed at this park for 3 weeks a few months ago. It was a nice park ran by a friendly staff.
The footage of the damage is hard to watch, both for the people and because of the camping trailers we enjoy so much. Here are links to the story.

Tornado Ravages Oklahoma City Trailer Park, Injuring at Least 12 - NBC News

Tornado Destroys Oklahoma RV Park - NBC News
OKC Thunder Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. I pray all heal swiftly. It sounds as though it could have been a lot worse if they weren't prepared notifying people of the shelter and the danger.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Just a member

Thoughts and prayers for all. That no one lost their life in this calamity is the stuff of miracles.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #4

Thanks, didn't see that on the news. I hope people are alright, you can always replace your trailer but not life. My brother-in-law just left California on the 7th heading to Virginia. I suggested that he looks for KOA with shelters when traveling god forbid another hits. Tornadoes are scary.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Thank God no serious injuries in OK. Most Rv parks I've seen in tornado/flood prone areas have storm shelters for such emergencies.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #6

We always carry a NOAA weather radio with us and our cell phones are set up to receive weather warnings. A tornado struck Cherry Stone Campground on the Eastern Shore of Virginia last July. Three tent campers were killed. The parents in one tent and one of three children in a second tent. The parents were warned at least twice maybe three times of the pending storm and they insisted on riding it out in their tent. It was tragic and perhaps preventable. Plans are currently in the works for an affordable method of enhancing a warning system/method for small campgrounds.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
Old Timer

That's our favorite place to stay when we are in the OKC area. Hope everyone recovers OK from that. Shame what it did to the RV's. Never want to stay in the RV if storms are coming!
kentnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

We live about 2 miles from Roadrunner RV park and it was intense for a short period. The strange thing about that particular tornado was that the motel, storage facility and campground were the only real damage areas as the tornado set down and didn't move. It set down and then lifted after a short period of time.
Reports were that there were 5 critical injuries but I have not heard any follow up. Fortunately, no one was killed.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

From experience
Rule # 1 Have a plan
Rule # 2 Have a weather radio with fresh batteries in "tornado" mode any time there is a risk.
Rule #3 Know the location of the nearest safe room or shelter and GO to it if under a tornado warning
Rule #4 Take your wallet/id and phone if you have to go.
Rule #5 Have insurance from a known established reputable company
There are many more but follow these at a minimum.
Be safe everybody!
We are in for more tonight and tomorrow.
OKC Thunder Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Went through there day before yesterday. The sky's were really ugly,dense dark clouds, real dense fog to the ground and then sudden down pours and lightning. We were really nervous. In Santa Fe now. I hope everyone got through healthy..
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

In case anyone might have missed it, there was a statement in text on the NBC Web site that bears repeating, The RV park owner stated, "People who decided to ride out the storm in their RVs ended up in the hospital"!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Tornado took out an RV dealer in Diamond, IL last year. I drove by the next day. Lot's of stick wood. Trailers in the middle of rows survived the best; the ones on the ends got nailed.

Had a tornado about 10 mil southeast of me 3 weeks ago. Took out the whole town and killed 2 people. You need to take tornados seriously.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #13

Prayers going to all the storm victims , yes ALWAYS have a plan and know where to go , we got hit once in southern Indiana in the middle of the night and didn't think twice . We headed straight to the restrooms best we could find in such short notice . Now we ask where the shelter is .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote