Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #21

Boy is that neat. You have carpentry skills I can only dream of. I'm good with a chainsaw however...lol

El Camino's had coils in the rear didn't they? I bet it ate shocks regularly.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Boy is that neat. You have carpentry skills I can only dream of. I'm good with a chainsaw however...lol

El Camino's had coils in the rear didn't they? I bet it ate shocks regularly.
Put one set of Gabriel HiJackers on in 125,000 miles, then sold the truck & camper and it is still going in Carlisle, AR. Roof on the 81 ElCamino camper was 0.060 T6 Alum covered in vinyl with air cyl. assist.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #23

Well I enjoy backpacking and I have walked right many miles. Me and a good friend use to go and we packed light but we always had ribeye steaks the first night. My DW will not sleep on the ground or use the bathroom in the woods. But DW will go on any trip I plan with the camper and I plan on keeping DW happy. I have everything in the camper that I have at home and I have no regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #24
Now a "Top Member"

I'll have to find some of my old pics. Dad was always into camping (a cheapskate, but in a good way mostly). We saw a lot of places most people can only wish about.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #25
Land of the Midnightsun

I grew up in Alaska we'd just put 200lb on our back and grab rifle and dog and walk off for 10-14 days. No need for pick up or trailers
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
I'll have to find some of my old pics. Dad was always into camping (a cheapskate, but in a good way mostly). We saw a lot of places most people can only wish about.
Back then camping was about being cheap. You didn't have mega buck motor homes and big fifth wheels. You had a tiny trailer or maybe a bare bones slide in and a canvas tent for the kids and camping was the cheap way to get away...

Times have changed, not sure if it is for the better or not....

Some of this stuff now costs as much as my farm did. Heck, we have friends with a Prevost and that thing set them back about 750 grand. Way beyond my financial realm but like a go fast boat, I'll tag along if I'm invited.

Not making any payments though.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #27
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Our first slide in camper. 72 El Camino and 69 factory built slide in.

1st picture is as purchased and 2nd is after recovering the outside and painting roof.
That's a beautiful El Camino. I have always regretted not buying one back then.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #28

The first time I can remember camping was with the Cub Scouts about 1955, then Boy Scouts for several years. Starting in 1965, I spent 3 years "camping" in the jungles of Vietnam and never had a tent or anything else over my head but the occasional poncho. Even had a liner to go with it and three days supply of food to boot.
DW and I used to load up the canoe with tent cooler and dog and spend 2 weeks on the Itchentuckny, Santa Fe and Suwannee rivers from the head springs to the gulf. Great days.
Bought the pictured C class in 1978 and that started a long string of MH, TT and c-class purchases up to the Aviator Wright Flyer that we own now.
Tomorrow morning we are headed up to Mistletoe State Pk on Lake Strom Thurmond for 8 days then down to the air show in Brunswick, GA for three more days before heading home. We do love camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	121678  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:44 PM   #29
Now a "Top Member"

Here's one oldie. We towed this camper with that '59 Caddy you see there. Dad was in the Air Force stationed in Biloxi Mississippi. This was a trip down the coast a bit in Florida. Not sure where though. Time does take its toll on us. I'll post a couple of more later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scanned005 [1024x768].jpg
Views:	108
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	121764
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Here's one oldie. We towed this camper with that '59 Caddy you see there. Dad was in the Air Force stationed in Biloxi Mississippi. This was a trip down the coast a bit in Florida. Not sure where though. Time does take its toll on us. I'll post a couple of more later.

Attachment 121764

Gotta love those Caddie tail fins.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping