Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

OMG! Forest River is letting me down!

Gang,
I am left without words! I will give more detail when I have more time but I bought a new Sierra 351 BHT the end of September. Had an issue with it only having one AC unit and it was not enough to cool the camper. Dealer and factory agreed to install second AC unit and rewire for 50 amps. Dropped off on December 3rd to dealer. Got a call the week of Christams that it was ready. On Jan 2nd made the drive to pick it up only to find they installed AC in front instead of the rear where it belongs. In addition the new AC unit did not even work. Left it with them and one week ago today they delivered to my house. Well guess what new AC once again does not work plus they left the roof of camper a mess! I emailed FR and this is the reply I get:
"Tim,
The Manager said he called T J at Lazy Days and was told everything on your trailer is repaired. If there is still any issues get it back into Lazy Days he said.
Ron KIlmer"

WOW now that is customer service at it's best!!!!!

More to follow tonight when I get home. I have pictures of the condition of the roof that I will post up.....

Tim
dusky203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #2

sorry you are having trouble. maybe do an inspection/test of work before accepting, if this is possible. make them agree to this before leaving, if this is possible.

hope they will work with you
Old 01-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
Ray

It will really be interesting to see how this comes out. Please keep us posted.
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Here are a few pictures of how they left my roof. In addition they were using my slideouts at the access point to my roof instead of the ladder installed on the back! Also they spilled coffee or soda and stained the roof.

I have some additional input from Forest River that I will post up later.

Iceman
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Foot prints on the roof are no biggie but I would NOT want them walking
on my slide outs!!!!
My suggestion, focus on the AC not working and the fact they walked on
your slide outs.
If you gripe about a few footprints on an otherwise undamaged? roof they
may view you as a complainer and be more inclined to give you the brush off.

Have you spoken to the owner of the dealership where the work was done?
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #6

i would agree with Dan that this is a dealer issue not a forest river one. The dealer who messed thing up is responsible for the work that was preformed and the condition of the roof. I would agree that it is totally unacceptible the condition of the roof and the placement of the new A/C unit for sure is questionable.Did they give you an explaination of why they installed it in the front and not in the back .Are they just pushing more air through the orginal duct work?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #7

KyDan,
Footprints are just the icing on the cake. In all honestly they have had the camper longer then me. I would think after all of the trouble I have had they would make the unit as good as new (well it is only 3 months old so it is new) and careless oversights like boot prints and using slides outs to access roof is no good in my book. Yes the biggie is the AC unit and that is my focus but taking a picture of a broken AC does not do much good...

As I was typing this I remembered an email from the Service Advisor and I will quote" It will actually be better than you purchased it" hmmm I dont think so...

Iceman
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #8

Well is it really just a dealer issue? More to the story that I have recently been made aware of:

Lazy Days tells me that Forest River shipped them this unit in error (remember I find this out after I had purchased it) the 30 amp single AC units are designed for colder ambiant locations. I live and camp in South Florida.

Forest Riiver claims it was ordered as a 30 amp unit from Lazy Days. However Forest River is paying for all of the retro work under warranty?

The a/c being installed in the wrong location from what I was told was a directive from Forest River. A call to Forest River says there is no way they would advise the unit be installed in the front. So who do I believe?

During all of this remember they had my camper for over 50 days! During my first few trips we had to buy fans to get air to the kids room. During the 50 days they they had it they also left the inside and roof a mess. On Jan 2nd when we went to get it the inside was a mess, carpets stained, saw dust everywhere, master bed had saw dust and screws on it. Plus they damaged wood work around TV and around fridge to the point that an large wood panel needs to be replaced that once again needs to go back to dealer to replacement leaving me once again with out my camper.

The main reason I am dealing with Forest River is the dealer is not responding to me so I decided to go right to them and let them pressure the dealer. There is more then just the AC issue but this post will turn into a novel if I list each and everything.

Iceman
Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Site Team

It may be time for a lawyer to write them (Forest River and the dealer)
a letter........
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Did you ever consider taking it to a different Forest River dealer??

I had issues with our 'Cat that the dealer we bought from could/would not address. I contacted the Warranty Manager for Wildcat division and got approved to take our 'Cat to a closer dealer (3 miles from home versus 25 to the buying dealer) for warranty work.

They are not a Wildcat dealer, but they do handle Cardinal, so it was no problem..
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky203 View Post
...On Jan 2nd when we went to get it the inside was a mess, carpets stained, saw dust everywhere, master bed had saw dust and screws on it. Plus they damaged wood work around TV and around fridge to the point that an large wood panel needs to be replaced that once again needs to go back to dealer to replacement leaving me once again with out my camper....
Iceman
I have seen this so many times on so many forums and it is why I won't take my new rig to a dealer to be fixed. Unless it was something really serious I can handle it myself. FR has been really good at sending me parts for the few problems we have encountered under warranty so that I don't have to deal with the local FR dealer which are a bunch of jerks.

My guess from what you have explained is that the wiring was never run to the correct location at the factory for a 2nd A/C in which case you are kinda screewed there.

Sorry for your experience, I feel your pain, but the old addage applies: If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #12

UPDATE:
Pat from FR has agreed to pick up my camper and bring it to a repair shop in Ocala. They will do all of the work and return to me. PLus they are extending factory warranty for 6 months and paying me back for one payment. Fingers Crossed!

Iceman
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #13

Thats good news! now it`s time to change the title of your thread.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #14

UPDATE!:
Well it looks like I am finally all set! FR had a transport company come and pick it up a few weeks ago and bring to B & E RV service in Ocala. Well they fixed pretty much everything for me and did a great job in cleaning the roof to new condition. They brought it back to me and although a few new things popped up most items were fixed. During my first camping trip however we noticed the water pump was not working and now the wire that goes to the truck was not fully working. I called FR they sent B & E from Ocala to my house and after a bunch of smoke and melted wires we discovered that when Lazydays re-wired my panel they crossed some wires!! Not good! If this had happened in the wall who knows what the turn out might have been!!! Well a few hours later pump works, monitor panel works, wires to truck replaced, and some staining of raw wood was complete! We are taking it out this weekend for a test run and hopefully I can finally get a sucessful camping trip under my belt! Thanks to Pat at the factory and Bob and Ed at B & E for going the extra mile to make me happy again!!!

Iceman
Old 04-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #15

So many time you hear about the poor work and customer service that LD has and yet people keep going there. We stayed at the CG one time and the folks next to us had had thier camper there more than 10 times for stuff that went wrong after they had had it htere the last time. Additionally, it seems that alot of the units they sell have problems from the start,,,, maybe it is a dumping dealership for the factory rejects. Good luck on your next trip.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #16

So everything is fixed now? Are you done with your dealer? Do not listen to your brother about quality!

Wally

P.S. What do you keep in your cooler at nite, when you suspect someone is taking your Bud Lite in a can...(inside joke)
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
nomoreosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #17

Wally,
Am I done with my dealer!!! Heck yes I am done with them! I will never ever give Lazydays another penny!

Iceman

Oh and about hte Bud-light thieve.......I really dont remeber much about that night..hehe
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl View Post
So many time you hear about the poor work and customer service that LD has and yet people keep going there. We stayed at the CG one time and the folks next to us had had thier camper there more than 10 times for stuff that went wrong after they had had it htere the last time. Additionally, it seems that alot of the units they sell have problems from the start,,,, maybe it is a dumping dealership for the factory rejects. Good luck on your next trip.
I paid a little more to buy my rig from a local dealer with a good reputation. I could've saved a few thousand dollars by driving a few hours to Lazy Days or a couple of other low-priced dealers, but I knew in my gut that they wouldn't be there for me if I ever needed them. Sometimes getting the lowest price isn't what it's all about!

Unlike the member above who said that they never take their rig to a dealer, I ALWAYS take my rig to my dealer. This thing has a warranty, and my dealer does good work. The couple of very minor problems I have had I could've fixed myeslf in less than a day, but that completely defeats the purpose of buying a new rig and having a warranty.

I sometimes think I am the only RV owner on these forums and RV.net who actually likes their dealer.

Oh, BTW, my dealer is John's RV in Lexington, SC, and I have no affiliation with them whatsoever other than being a happy customer.
Robert6401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert6401 View Post
Unlike the member above who said that they never take their rig to a dealer, I ALWAYS take my rig to my dealer. This thing has a warranty, and my dealer does good work. The couple of very minor problems I have had I could've fixed myeslf in less than a day, but that completely defeats the purpose of buying a new rig and having a warranty.

I sometimes think I am the only RV owner on these forums and RV.net who actually likes their dealer.
I actually have a good relationship with my dealer, also. They gave me a fair sale price, no hassle buying, and when I take my unit in for warranty work, it is done in a timely and no questions asked basis. Cheek & Shockley is a family owned business near Richmond, VA.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote