Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Do you move over for merging traffic (public poll)
Yes, I move over and allow them to merge 224 78.60%
No, I stay in the lane and let them figure it out 61 21.40%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #201

Not only that, John, but many overpasses on I-25 in Denver are about 14' high.......ONLY on the right 3 lanes. The left lane, sometimes HOV, is often 12' high in some places.

There are simply too many on ramps.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #202

Something I learned in a motorcycle safety course, and is applicable to most situations, "You can claim your Right-of-Way, but don't try to defend it."

I agree with many, who posted that some people lose their minds when merging. They go really slow and expect to speed up to fit into a spot (or simply don't care and just go slow). It is much easier to slow down to fit in than to speed up. If I can, I always get over so I don't even need to deal with them. What I really hate, though, is when I get over and let them in and they just sit there next to me. I then have to speed up or slow down to get back over. Thankfully, that doesn't happen that often.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #203
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Something I learned in a motorcycle safety course, and is applicable to most situations, "You can claim your Right-of-Way, but don't try to defend it."

I agree with many, who posted that some people lose their minds when merging. They go really slow and expect to speed up to fit into a spot (or simply don't care and just go slow). It is much easier to slow down to fit in than to speed up. If I can, I always get over so I don't even need to deal with them. What I really hate, though, is when I get over and let them in and they just sit there next to me. I then have to speed up or slow down to get back over. Thankfully, that doesn't happen that often.
When they park next to me like that I'll turn on my turn signal and put that tail light right in front of their face so they can see it blinking...

Then move a little bit towards them to let them know my intentions.

This usually gives them the hint to wake up!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #204

To go along with what Ben31 said, I believe the overly cautious are the biggest menace on the roadways. Yes it is incredibly dangerous for people to drive way too fast, but more often than not, the people that make the biggest issues are those driving too slow.

On a 2 lane highway, one or two slow cars can cause a back up of 3 miles when traffic is heavy, and that will drive anyone mad.

When its snowy, and people just creep along, driving waaaay too cautiously, the people behind them end up getting stuck because they cant build the required momentum needed.

People merging onto a highway, that wont step on the gas, are the cause of the issue being discussed here.

Or an all time favorite, the car that is driving 70mph and catches an 18 wheeler. And then drives 61 mph for 4 miles right next to the 18 wheeler, ever so sloooooowly inching past the truck. Then they finally get past, and back to 70mph. Why slow down? If you are afraid of being next to the truck, dont be next to the truck...

Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #205

I am firmly of the opinion that most of American interstate drivers wish to drive 58 mph, but ONLY from a position in front of you, a position they will do anything to obtain.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #206
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Or an all time favorite, the car that is driving 70mph and catches an 18 wheeler. And then drives 61 mph for 4 miles right next to the 18 wheeler, ever so sloooooowly inching past the truck. Then they finally get past, and back to 70mph. Why slow down? If you are afraid of being next to the truck, dont be next to the truck...
In my experience, it's usually another 18-wheeler doing that. The one it the right lane is doing 65 and the one in the left lane is doing 66.

And I'm convinced they do that completely on purpose. They'll both be in the right lane for miles and miles. But as soon as I get into the left lane to go around both of them that's when the second truck wants to pass the first one.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #207

Something I noticed on the way home from a Rally on I 81. In the morning, before all the 4 wheelers hit the road, wasn't a problem with all the trucks and other RVers. Traffic moved smooth with space to move over and pass and get back in. As soon as the amount is 4 wheelers increased, they start this nose to tair in the fast lane which totally changes the flow of read traffic. No spaces to move in and out of! Then you are stuck behind slow traffic in the right lane.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #208

Quote:

I think there are two reasons why this occurs...

1) They want the shade from the sun...

2) They are drafting us for better gas mileage!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #209

Quote:

I'd guess the overwhelming majority of cases where a vehicle on freeway is going speed limit, then slows down, is that they just got on the phone.

99.999999999999% of those people, when asked, would say that phone usage has no effect on their driving.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post

I agree with this. You have shown courtesy to them by moving over and now you have to take action to get back into the lane that you were traveling in.

I also like the drivers that are passing you in the left lane and sit in your blind spot for a good length of time prior to passing. I must be the last driver in my state that knows how cruise control works.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #211
D W

Quote:
To go along with what Ben31 said, I believe the overly cautious are the biggest menace on the roadways. Yes it is incredibly dangerous for people to drive way too fast, but more often than not, the people that make the biggest issues are those driving too slow.

On a 2 lane highway, one or two slow cars can cause a back up of 3 miles when traffic is heavy, and that will drive anyone mad.

When its snowy, and people just creep along, driving waaaay too cautiously, the people behind them end up getting stuck because they cant build the required momentum needed.

People merging onto a highway, that wont step on the gas, are the cause of the issue being discussed here.

On snow-covered roads if you need "momentum" to compensate for loss of traction then you probably shouldn't be out there driving.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #212
DDC

I can see why there are so many highway accidents, 76.08% change lanes to allow traffic that is supposed to "merge", it's the merging drivers duty to use the gas or brake pedals to safely 'merge' with traffic, that's what the 'merge' lane is for, this has caused drivers to expect traffic to move for them even when it is not safe to do so, when there is someone along side you and you can't move. that's my vent for the day!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #213

The momentum aspect I mentioned, was for approaching a hill. I’m from New England, I’m not worried about my ability. But I know live in maryland and I have seen it first hand. First car too slow approaching the hill and people behind get stuck half way up

Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you might not 'like' it, but it's not the law...turn signals are just that, a 'signal' of what the driver is contemplating doing - BUT, you might be an unfortunate participant in an at-fault accident, YOURS, if you were to pull out in front of what you 'thought' was a turning vehicle, even with it's blinker on, only to find out that YOU are not allowed to assume you have the right-of-way, EVEN if the other vehicle 'looks' as though they are turning.... they actually may be turning AFTER they pass in front of you.
Drivers can always change their minds, even if they already have a turn signal indicator ON... that's why it's just an indicator. The LAW says that you must wait until there is a clear path, with no other vehicles in your line of travel, before proceeding. It's doesn't give a driver the 'o.k.' just because another oncoming vehicle has a turn signal indicator ON.

Now, that's the 'reality' of it, though, yes, I understand your frustration - but as we have one of these 'intersections' in our neighborhood, I have to reiterate to my 15 year old son, who is now 'learning' to drive, that it's always best to WAIT, to know for sure, what another vehicle is REALLY doing. : ) Fun, though!

The same applies anywhere else you are driving - it might be courtesy, but it's not the law. It's always us that are behind another vehicle that has to be constantly AWARE of what lies in front of us, even when it's those 'inconsiderate' drivers who don't necessarily apply the 'common' turn signal. The same for brake lights - it's still going to be your fault if you run into the driver ahead of you, no matter whether they applied their brake 'signals', or whether they just slowed down to the point that you didn't pay attention enough. It may not 'seem' fair, but there's really no 'fairer' way to look at it.

Had that happen to me recently. I was driving past a QT truck stop and had my right-turn signal on to make a right turn onto a cross street beyond the QT. Three stupid knuckleheads in F350s pulling loaded gooseneck flatbeds ran a stop sign and drove out of the truck stop right in front of me with no warning. It was all I could to stop and avoid an accident. They got my horn in their ears. My wife claims I was speaking in nasty strange tongues from the "pit". All three drivers gave me the "so, what's your problem, dude?" look. Sheesh. I wish that I had a dashcam that day.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #215
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
In my experience, it's usually another 18-wheeler doing that. The one it the right lane is doing 65 and the one in the left lane is doing 66.

And I'm convinced they do that completely on purpose. They'll both be in the right lane for miles and miles. But as soon as I get into the left lane to go around both of them that's when the second truck wants to pass the first one.
I have seen that many times as well but I have also had the trailing trucker tap his brakes, letting me know "if you are going to pass, get with it or I am moving over." Now I take that brief tap of the brakes to signal me to step on it or be patient with his slow pass.
Depending on the situation, sometimes I will go ahead and pass or maybe I will just fall in behind him.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #216

Getting back to the post title: Up until 20 or so years ago, every state we travelled had a merging traffic sign and a yield sign at every interstate entrance. Wonder what caused that to change.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #217

I wonder how many of those slow mergers get upset when somebody pulls the slow merge on them?